1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Damage problems in VF5R

Discussion in 'Arcade' started by Fulan, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Fulan

Fulan Well-Known Member

yesterday some dude looked at me funny, so I clocked him in his eye and triple bounced him against the wall in my local footlocker.

2. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    Looks like 6K+G is giving the blue flash on counter to indicate that it causes sideturned, not that it hit while sideturned. It's unnecessary for 6k+g to give sideturned on counter hit, a free p,k or 4k,p is plenty, i'd expect this to be changed.

That being said, 66k is slow as hell, i'd be pretty surprised if that combo isnt strugglable after the wall stagger.

3. WILFACTS

WILFACTS Member

AM2 is actually aware of these issue/discussions no?

4. Rodnutz

Rodnutz Well-Known Member

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX

I can't wait to see the next one they find... I call 220 damage or more! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

These combos don't bother what bothers me is that most of these combos revolve around just 1 character, with the exception to Jean who can do 143 I think. Yes I know everyone can do 100+, but the scale only seems to be getting higher and higher just for these 2 characters at the moment. I am sure AM2 will fix this no doubt. Perhaps by scaling back the damage properties all across the board for every character.

I find it exciting that characters can link together these many hits in VF, sometime that has been absent since the VF2 days and only seemed to benefit characters with /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif strings from previous versions of the game. Now everyone seems to have a means of stringing some cool stuff together. AM2 just needs to find a new formula for their damage scaling.

5. focusflute

focusflute Well-Known Member

Seriously we have a problem. We have Jeffrey doing 113 damage to pai without a wall! Seems like every char has some 100+ combo with a wall too. I mean WHY? rounds are ending faster and faster.

Its ridiculous when you just throw out attacks until one breaks through and then you get a combo that depletes half of your opponents life bar.

When did this game become Tekken??????

6. CobiyukiOS

CobiyukiOS Well-Known Member

It hasn't become Tekken. It will be when someone gives off electricity and there is a real devil in it.

It's all about "Ito-san" not missing the train to return home sooner, or getting promoted to 1st dan sooner. Seems one mistake can end the fight.

Although Pai is a lightweight, Jeffery is Powerful! You didn't mention his 202-point wall combo.

7. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

To be perfectly honest, i think it's kind of a nice return to the way VF used to be scaled for damage. In VF2, if you made a mistake, a good player would tear you apart for well over half your bar. Some floats of Lau's were full bar, Kage could ring you out with a triple swipe-senbon TFT from the middle of the ring, etc. In VF3, it was toned down a little, but you still have some very large half-bar combos that were punishment if you made mistakes.

VF4 and VF5 toned down the damage a lot with the introduction of diminishing returns on float hits. It used to be better if you could push the envelop and get that extra P in a float. Now, it often nets you 0 damage, so what's the point.

Seeing high damage combos in VF5:R, imo, is pretty cool and we're all just going to have to deal with it whenever we get the game. This is damage that the game was raised on, not some crackpot evolutionary path towards Tekken.

<span style='font-size: 8pt'>
    edit - admittedly, to lose your life bar in VF2 and VF3 required a very skilled opponent. VF5 is far more lenient and I will concur that the damage|skill ratio is skewed in that sense.
    </span>

8. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    In case you did not know, Pai is able to do 100+ (iirc 111, will have to double check when I get home) damage combo on Jeffry in VF5...without a wall, also.

Since most people on this site are not playing VF5R at the moment, its not much of a problem to us /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif .

9. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

its becoming VF2 /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LCkYLgzo1-k"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LCkYLgzo1-k" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

ps. jeffry goes to heaven at the end... lol

10. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    The blue flash indicates a side counter hit, not a counter hit that causes side turn.

I still think everyone's getting worked up over a really difficult to setup situation. How many real match replays have you seen Jeffry nail the 6K+G against a side turned opponent near a wall resulting in an insane combo?

I haven't seen a single one.

11. _Denkai_

_Denkai_ Well-Known Member

I feel that Sega wanted to try hard to make this game feel different so they added things they shouldn't have. I really detest the additional wall splatter thing. You now see characters like Pai get 115 on a short fence like its nothing because of the change.

12. Fulan

Fulan Well-Known Member

I think most of us realise that Myke. But avg wall dmg from realictic combo starters is going up with every uploaded replay. A slight dmg increase overall I imagine we're all cool with. But when 140 dmg wall combo's become the norm it just get's boring.

I do like some of the crazy combos aesthetically, it brings a certain ammount of hype, but the scaling should be finetuned when a wall is involved.

*edit*

This is just what I think though, the vets can disagree and tell my scrubby self to stop talking out of turn /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

13. _Denkai_

_Denkai_ Well-Known Member

VF2 was broken its common knowledge Sal..that was back then in the old days this shouldn't fly now

This Lion player demonstrates how VF5R matches will usually be played http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISl9Q4oONDs

14. L_A

L_A Well-Known Member

haha! those were the good ol days! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

15. KrsJin

KrsJin Well-Known Member

Maybe staying away from walls/fences will be more pivotal now /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

16. seven5suited

seven5suited Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Llanfair almost, if not, 100% I'm not knocking VF5C, but I personally miss the old ways.

YES!! Justice!!

Playing in dojo sometimes disappointed me when I FINALLY squeezed in an extra punch in the middle of a float, only to cause the final blow to be diminished further, netting me LESS damage for my extra hit. I'm not attacking the current way, but i like the idea of more of the same hits = more of the same damage.

Testify, brother Llanfair!

Not only that, but the same way we all adapted to the law of diminishing returns, we'll un-adapt, and the skilled will still beat the unskilled in the end.

Pai does a 100+ wall combo, Jeff does a 200+ one. That sounds about right looking at the two, and considering the tools Pai appears to have over Jeff. (I can admit it...)

We'll be just fine, when and if we get R, IMO.

17. KrsJin

KrsJin Well-Known Member

I think that Goh player's up and down on his stick may not have been working too well lol.

I agree. Who knows, they may change this with another version, if it's found to be truly detrimental as players get more time with it. But I'm sure we'll be good with whatever we end up with.

18. Reno

Reno Well-Known Member

I personally have no problems with the wall combos, and I eat them quite a lot. People need to stop complaining about them, really...

19. Reno

Reno Well-Known Member

Or people will just start picking large open rings instead of going random. I don't know why so many people are complaining when VF2 was worse for damage. At least in 5R you usually need walls to do high damage combos. In 2 you just needed a counter hit!

20. WILFACTS

WILFACTS Member

Do you think it's just like a "Ringout" combo for jeffry at fenced stage? Take Akira and Kages ability to ring out people @ non fenced stages