1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Damage problems in VF5R

Discussion in 'Arcade' started by Fulan, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Its not simple (and never guaranteed I think) but afaik several characters can do this. Akira can do it in VF5 simply by /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d_.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif (wallstagger) -> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif even though theres lots of time to struggle that. Its simply a case of highenough float after wallstagger which is difficult to pull off cause wall is so close. Akai already pointed out how Pai does it.

I suppose the conditions of what causes wallsplat are changed in R so that multiple splats are possible in same combo and you can get wallsplat easier to start with.

2. Combolammas

Combolammas Sheep

You can also do wallstagger -> dash -> yoho in 5 for wallsplat.
    Akira and Goh can also just 2x ShRm. Brad can use b,f+K+G or f,f+K on staggered opponent to splat.
    Those are quite strugglable, of course.

Anyone can get wallsplat off of wallstagger in 5, I'd guess the big difference is that 5 requires the opponent to be closer to wall to splat instead of just bouncing off OR R's wallstaggers leave opponent closer to wall for easier splats.

Also on the topic of Jean causing too much wall damage my opinion is that he's probably supposed to. Aside from HW's his combo damage seems to be among the best and he seems really combo-oriented / dependant. His throw damage isn't too spectacular either. With those things in mind his walldamage seems all justified. Then again I'm just a Jean fanboy.

3. social_ruin

social_ruin Well-Known Member

as a perfectionist/completionist i dont like the increased damage. I want people to work for that win. I understand, however, that as a perfectionist/completist there will be many weaker and stronger players that like it better. It seems to me smaller damage means technique prevails greater in wins. Of course this is just my opinion. For example so fights were best 2 of 3 rounds rather than 3 of 5, i would have beaten a ton more defender/raider/ect tier opponents and lost to a ton more bottom kyus. I think lower dmgs more rounds plays out better for stronger players. For example, if the new game was 5 rounds and greater damage...idk, just my thoughts. To each their own.

4. danny13

danny13 Well-Known Member

5. Makatiel

Makatiel Well-Known Member

I don't see how high damage wall combos could be considered more problematic than ring outs, which have always existed in VF. And which no one really complains about (except for Kage's TFT).

The way I see it, 130 points of damage is still 70 points less than a ring out.

6. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    Yeah you are right. Is this red life bug present only in Dojo? I actually did the string in versus play (before trying it out in dojo) and notice the red damage bar growing bigger (ie combo, guarantee or not).

7. danny13

danny13 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry. I should rephrase, its a game bug. Alot of pple would recall chibita doing 43p+g > 46p+k(wall hit) > 46k > combo. Even though the red damage bar links, when we tested, you can guard everything after 46p+k.

The same goes to p(wall hit) > spod for akira.

p wall hit makes the next move CANNOT BE EVADE. You try and you will eat pai's 7k+g in this senario.

8. Sidna7

Sidna7 Well-Known Member

This is kind of how I feel as of now, it's not the wall-damage, but big damage in general denotes less work.
    You make an imo small/common mistake and you loose a big amount of life...it seems that in R this is bread&butter.
    The game looks a long shot from broken, it's just boring to watch matches with 'decent' players that are focusing on spamming wall splatters...and huge combos, after seeing these for more than 3 times it gets repetitive and boring...Bigger damage leads to less chances for evades, escapes, mind game, etc. per match

Of course till we play the game we cannot know how it feels...their might be a greater adrenaline rush knowing that half your life can be depleted on the drop of a dime...and victory might taste sweeter.
    In this context though, I would rather have more damaging 5 hit combos than 10 hits...most 10hits I've seen so far in R don't look that hard, but boring and extra 'cheesy' (Tekken anyone).
    And for me a RO is preferred than watching my char. getting molested up against the wall and then struggling not to get hit by another easy to land wall-combo-starter (if this is gonna be the case in R)...you wanna punish me for making a mistake on the edge, OK, RO=justice, no need for torturing.

And Reno dude, you are like one of our only true ‘eyes & ears’ right now, you could be steering us in a more valid direction…no need for insulting others that have just drawn a hypothesis based on videos. I’m sure gl0ry is smart enough to understand and discuss your point of view.
    I’m like reluctant to ask you a question in chance of being called a retard or something heh

9. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

IMHO sega did this to give people more combos to look at when watching the game. Just imagine how popular the shit that is MvC2 is but the combos are insanely long and can be satisfying to pull off. I personally like combos a lot, as long as they're difficult to set up/and or don't kill your whole life bar.

It's looking like VF is moving in a more combo, high dmg punishment for smaller mistakes direction. To me that means Noobs will be beaten all the easier now since they A. won't know the combos that kill half their health B. They'll be making a lot more mistakes so now they'll be more ways to punish them. It's like sega is giving vets weapons to whip on nub sauce now. Grated yeah we had tools before.

This also makes it easier for up in coming vets to not become so disenfranchised by a good opponent because they can just focus on hitting that half health combo and score a win. At the same time the vet will know this and avoid the situation altogether.

Everyone in the game seems to have these high dmg combos so I don't see a reason to say this is going to be a broken mechanic, and we were told in the beginning of this that there is going to be more change than we're used to.

I look forward to splating you all online eventually if I'm given the chance, I trust you to do the same haha

10. mattfabb

mattfabb Well-Known Member

Tricky what do you mean that we were told about the changes? I didn't read about that.

And, as a noob, it's worrying me that the vets are going to demolish me with 2 combos....

11. Gernburgs

Gernburgs Well-Known Member

If the combo is a counter-hit you deserve more damage. I think many of the videos we've seen with "monster" damage were off of counter-hits.

I could almost guarantee we won't be doing anywhere near as much damage as the Japanese do because we don't use the walls and positioning like they do.

In addition, the people who post their vids on youtube are obviously pretty hard-core VF players or they wouldn't even bother. So they are Japanese (racial advantage) AND hard-core VFers...

I've seen so many ver C videos where they were doing stuff I didn't even know was possible, why should R be different?

Plus, people usually only post vids where they did something special...

EDIT:

With everyone complaining about the damage, I think this video says a lot. That fight was close. Even the round that Jeff landed the 100+ combo wasn't a blow out by any means.

Look how hard it was for that Jeff to mount his offense against Sarah in that match, he was working hard and playing good defense, they both were. I just think that video really points out that the characters have different abilities and they're all good at different things.

That Sarah poked well and didn't over-commit, Jeff can't really even do that. Even with the high damage, it was not any easy win. Every character is going to have many deadly weapons, I'm confident of that.

12. social_ruin

social_ruin Well-Known Member

I would like to see some kinda advanced defensive technique that allowed a player to (techroll) out of wall stagger/splat to offset this, with of course the counter being u can be thrown off the tech roll, so time to start putting in wall evade throw escape gaurds......long live WETEG

13. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    DING DING DING!!! Headbutt wall stagger shenanigans were avoided by struggling. Damage scaling seems to be working - the last two hits off of the wall slump did 3 or 4 points of damage each, not 20. Even after that 1/2 life combo, he still guessed right 5 more times to win the round.

/thread

14. mrmeeks

mrmeeks Member

when i was in Japan playing vf5r every time i got hit with a big combo i didn't have anyone to blame but myself, i knew i fucked up right from the initial hit, lol

i actually think it's exciting knowing that your opponent just needs a small opening to bludgeon you mercilessly, makes you concentrate that much harder

15. KrsJin

KrsJin Well-Known Member

Just cause that was gona be my reply to Gernburgs too haha.

16. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    I thought it might be worth mentioning that in the recent Amusement Bee Bee Pepsi Cup clips, which show quite a few high level tournament matches, there was not a single occasion where the combo damage was of concern to me. Anyone else?

17. KrsJin

KrsJin Well-Known Member

Only seen two sets of vids, but no, wasn't a concern for me either. In-fact, as much as the game has changed, the matches looked very similar compared to the other pepsi cup matches.

18. biggz316

biggz316 Well-Known Member

Yea Myke I thought that was strange. Nobody dished out anything that was to crazy at all. Esp. that Lau guy, I figured if anyone would dish out a major combo it would have bin him… still sucks to know that if you’re up against a good Jeff player that the match can be over from one combo.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIVoOexM-FA
    Shit like this...

19. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

See, this is my major issue with everyone complaining about the damage. We had a small conversation on this in IRC and it seems to boil down to these points:

1) everyone complaining assumes that the major combos are happening every 10 seconds in Japan because there's some videos of it on youtube.
    2) no one complaining seems to understand that some of these videos are complete set ups with a non-struggling opponent. not so long ago, in VF5 Dojo mode (can't remember who)someone realized a bug in the damage accounting formula led to crazy 200 plus "combos".
    3) Everyone complaining seems to ignore the rounds where all of the same guessing games we're used to, technical in-fighting, and exchanges of advantage between two opponents take up the bulk of time allotted.

You look at the combo that the Jeff Player FINALLY hit in this video (KoD posted it earlier) and it didn't decide the match and damage scaling neutered the last two hits completely. Jeff has a 50% off combo in VF5 right now, he only gains 6 points in R.

I don't know, I just think there's an overreaction to what are likely not all the time occurrences in specifically chosen videos to upload.

as a perfectionist/completionist though I recognize peoples need to...blah blah blah blah

20. KtotheG

KtotheG Well-Known Member

only an ass would get counterhit by Jeff's 6K+G

if u get counterhit by that u deserve to get assraped imo, what a slowass move