1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Damage problems in VF5R

Discussion in 'Arcade' started by Fulan, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Jeneric

Jeneric Well-Known Member

That is not a combo.

2. KtotheG

KtotheG Well-Known Member

ahh.. of course

that is a good point

3. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    That was me. If you want to I can repost the vid about 257 pt Wolf 'combo'. (of course the 'combo' is breakable in about dozen+ points) More would be possible but the dojo mode resets itself automatically once damage goes over 200 pt. The dojo mode shenanigans are nothing new, in Evo when the dojo didnt reset itself my friend got to about 400 pts. Of course these have nothing to do with REAL combos.

4. Combolammas

Combolammas Sheep

Evo dojo combos /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
    Actually before that "proven" 400+ combo that guy got up to 519 and could've gone up but he missed an input, haha. There isn't a picture of that, which is a shame, but I saw it.

Dojo mode damage counting errors with wallhits, groundthrows and staggers are some times rather hilarious though.
    For example, you can get 33 hits and ~245 damage with Blaze by doing 4x b,df+P+K:f+P+G against wall and finishing with ub+P+K when the opponent "dies".

EDIT:
    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> 257 pt Wolf 'combo' </div></div>
    Damn, the Blaze one with MC led to 256. I lost by a point /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

5. Gernburgs

Gernburgs Well-Known Member

Not only that, there's one match in the Pepsi Cup vids (maybe the first?) that's Lau vs Jeffry... At one point the Jeffry does the switch throw to send Lau into the wall for a stagger. But, the Lau player sees it coming, struggles out of the wall stagger instantly and escapes the follow up.

It seems, if you can predict the move that sends you into the wall, you can escape wall staggers very quickly if you struggle nice and early.

^That El Blaze "combo" above will work in Ver C. if they don't struggle. Some of these combos can only be done with a big, slow move (hard to land in the first place) that has to land on your opponent in a very specific place in the ring to continue to combo.

You see this stuff in youtube vids cause most of the videos are posted because something rare happened. People generally don't post their "normal" or "boring" matches. They post their vids where they did something crazy or very special, but those are the ones we see mostly, so we assume that's what VF5R plays like 90% of the time when it's really exactly the opposite.

For example, even though that El Blaze "combo" is technically possible to do, I'd bet no one has ever actually landed the Handsome Scratch hit-throw 4 times in a row in a real, competitive match.

EDIT:

It would be basically impossible to land that on someone who was actually trying. That Jean put his quarters in just to let the Jeffry land that combo, there's NO other way to do it...

6. Combolammas

Combolammas Sheep

I mentioned that Blaze combo because there was talk about the damagecounter in practice. I never said it was practical and I didn't mention it being worthless either since it should be obvious.

7. Reno

Reno Well-Known Member

I answer questions on a regular basis, especially in my match replay thread and on my YouTube page, and I do it without calling anyone names. But seriously, if someone is going to post knee-jerk reaction nonsense, then I'll call them whatever I want to. :p

And with the Pepsi Cup tourney vids I think everyone is starting to realize that their knee-jerk reactions were just that. Now you're going to see a lot more vids of regular gameplay without the stupid setups and near-impossible combos.

8. Jeneric

Jeneric Well-Known Member

9. tonyfamilia

tonyfamilia Well-Known Member

10. Unoriginal_Sinn

Unoriginal_Sinn New Member

Nice combos and all, but my favourite part was most definitely the sweet VF4evo music.

11. CobiyukiOS

CobiyukiOS Well-Known Member

Can I quote something similar to The Shawshank Redemption?

First you hate the walls.
    Then you get used to them.
    Finally, you depend on walls.

And hers's how I would deal with it:

More walls? More guards, more bars (evades).

12. ACTIONBASTARD

ACTIONBASTARD Well-Known Member

ZOMG those combos are teh cheap! But wait just a catdogplatypusfucking minute Jimmy! YOur own main can do 100+ combos too! MAC(Mutually Assured Cheapness)!!!1

13. biggz316

biggz316 Well-Known Member

You have got to be a real sucka to have your back against the wall vs. Jeff and get caught by that big stupid slow kick. I think the high wall combo damage adds another way of playing and adds more pleasure to actually catching someone against the wall... I actually like the high damage...and like you pointed out JesusEater some1 has to be a real sucka or really slacking off on their D to get caught...doesn’t really bother me at all doe. Wolf is my nigka and I get the same damage in 3hits that some suckas take 6 to 8 hits to pull off...so it’s all good

14. BlackDragon37

BlackDragon37 Well-Known Member

People fail to realise that there is more to VF5R than just death combos.

So why the fuck is there complaining? This isn't Tekken 6. This isn't a game where juggling is all there is. This is VF5R, where it gets far deeper than that.

15. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

The "things are OK with wall damage" camp are probably rubbing it in at this point. There ARE some damage issues with VF5R to be fixed so the other side does have a valid point. I think this thread has just about run its course.

16. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    Damn it. I was hoping to see Akira break a wall and score damage. False hope FTL!

17. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Ill bring it up in case people forgot, in R they apparently fixed backwalk-turtling issues (maybe backdash weakened too I dont know) and most importantly hitbox issues in several situations. These are major issues to me even though I never considered backwalking particularly broken, annoying yes. And it doesnt look from the vids that movement fix would have been overdone so it should be good.

18. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
  19. Chief_Flash

Chief_Flash Well-Known Member

XBL:
    T1L ALL AR3 0N3
    it was in akira's combo tutorial in evo. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

20. kbcat

kbcat Well-Known Member

I'm watching this video and I am reminded of this thread. I think this is a great example of 'just because you got labeled by a big combo, it doesn't mean you are out of the fight'. I am refering of course to round 2 of this video, where Kage sucks up a wall combo but still manages to win the round. Sure the combos hurt -- but it doesn't mean you've lost the round.

Jean v. Kage
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzN-Vv4iKvo&fmt=18