1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Damage scaling for floats...

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Nutlog, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Nutlog

Nutlog Well-Known Member

1st and 2nd hits: 80%
    3rd - 60%
    4th - 50%
    5th - 40%
    6th - 30%
    7th - 25%
    8th - 25% or 20% (not sure, numbers are too small)

That's as far as I've gotten...dunno if I can get to 8 actual juggle hits, cause it's pushing it to get 7 juggle hits.

Also there is something of a glitch in the training mode. If you're running it in slow motion and trying different things, it will not always register juggle damage correctly. Knee(MC) (wall hit), P(G),P(G),P(G),P,P,P,b+K actually does 86 damage but in slow motion it will report anywhere from 57 to 62 damage.

There are some moves that don't follow this exactly (kickflips for instance, dunno about others).

2. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Thanks. Any additional word on the difference between face up and face down floats?

In any case, you still want to do the big hit as soon as possible once you launch someone... adding in more than one P(G) will only decrease damage in the long run... you can do stylish combos but get little return for the extra effort.

3. Freud

Freud Well-Known Member

Guys,
    I tried this on PS2 ver C....b,b+K,P+K (float)....then i use 2 options for follow up.
    option 1 : u+P+K
    option 2 : P, u+P+K

Guess what...both combos gave me the same amount of damage at 72 or 75(can't remember).I can only think of 2 reasons,
    Reason 1: The multiplier at work takes down the damage of the punch(3rd hit of first combo) and subsequently the u+P+K(4th hit of first combo), which sums up to equal the reduced damage of only the u+p+k(3rd hit of 2nd combo)

Reason 2: The u+P+K is distance-dependant?? impossible.

Hence, the first reason should be the one. Anyone can offer any opinion on this?

Whatever, this experient only goes to show one thing... lengthy combo may not be as rewarding as shorter ones, with the implementation of the multiplier. In any case, Lions players can now remove the punch in the previous combo, since it does not really affect the damage anymore. But of course, that extra punch in between make it all look so much nicer. =)

4. LittleWild

LittleWild Well-Known Member

There are 3 types of damage modification in combos/attacks.

1. Number of hits in the combo, generally the more hits, the lesser the damage. (As in your post)

2. The height between the the defender and the ground, the lower the defender is, the lesser the damage.

3. If the opponent hits the wall after a hit/combo and falls to the ground (cannot techroll), the pounce follow up, or the d/f+P/K will cause lesser damage.

5. Nutlog

Nutlog Well-Known Member

Can you site some examples of #2, Littlewild? If that were the case most of the universal combos (i.e. knee(MC), P(G), P(G), elbow-knee) would do less damage against Jeff and Wolf than Aoi, but for all three the damage is consistent. In fact for every combo that I was testing tonight for "heavyweight effectiveness" always did the same damage to them as Aoi and Pai, regardless of the height of the juggled opponent.

As for #3, yes the damage is always scaled down because it's counted as part of the combo and scaled just the same as the rest of the juggle hits. For an example, use Sarah and knee them into the wall. If you only add one hit before the down attack or just go straight to it, the down attack does 10 instead of 13 (13 * .8 = 10.4 or 10 for the engine). If you add two hits before they hit the ground, the down attack will do 8 and so on.

If the opponent has recovered from their "down" time from whatever hit put them on the ground, then the combo is broken in the calculation, even if the kick is on the way. Basic rule is, if they can start to roll, the damage scaling is reset.

6. Nutlog

Nutlog Well-Known Member

I'll have to check that one tomorrow, Freud, but by all accounts, the second option should do a few points more. Perhaps the u+P+K is like the kickflip in that it has a cap or a base? Can't tell til I mess with it, but there are moves like that in the game. The kickflip when used is a juggle is capped at 63% (24 points) regardless of how soon you use it in a juggle. Probably because the kickflip is guaranteed on MC regardless of stance for at least the knee(dunno about the DC) and you couldn't leave Sarah with a 2 hit, stance independent combo that does 75 points, now could you? (But you can dream right?) /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

7. LittleWild

LittleWild Well-Known Member

Hmm how do I explain this....I admit the way I put it was quite misleading. (That is because I got the info from http://homepage3.nifty.com/pai/combo3.html)

I think the characters' weight class does not affect rule #2. It is interesting to see how you raised up the question, I never thought of it before /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

As for examples, Pai's 2_6P~PPP2K does lesser damage because the opponent is closer to the ground when the 2K hits. As well as 66K~66PK~2KK(can be struggled out) the 2KK deals lesser damage.

Then again, it might be simply an error due to my lousy translation of the original text.

Basic rule is, if they can start to roll, the damage scaling is reset.

That explains why sometimes you MC a rolling/rising opponent and scores more damage.
    Next time I will wait a while before I 3P/3K when my opponent is down.

8. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Nutlog has been using Sarah for his tests. Maybe he'll see the altitude of the defender taking affect when he uses characters with lower hitting moves like the Chan's or Aoi's PPPSweeps... can't wait to test this stuff out myself... keep posting about your results Nutlog! =)

Hmm... you could use Sarah's b+K to test for the damage differences due to altitude. It will scrape opponents who don't tech roll off the ground.

9. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

Anybody know who did the one for VF3 back then??

10. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Probably the Peaking Duck... but he's MIA.
    The VF3 systems FAQ should be available here. Check it out from the VFDC home page.