1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Damn Sega!

Discussion in 'General' started by Pinkgirl, May 2, 2002.

1. Pinkgirl

Pinkgirl Well-Known Member

Sorry... I had to get this out.

I was thinking about my Dreamcast and what on earth I'm gonna do with it and... ooh... it's making me so mad. And to think I was such a staunch supporter of Sega's Megadrive last time (I actually bought 2 sets - the 2nd after my 1st got spoilt from the long hours of gameplay)... /versus/images/icons/mad.gif

I kind of realised Dreamcast would be doomed once the PS2 was out but I never dreamed they would 1) stop production of games for the system, and 2) stop producing more sets so soon. (Um, yes, this rant is rather late but I was thinking about whether it's possible to convert my DC joystick to a PS2 one, and that got me started all over again...)

Now I'm stuck with a near-ancient artifact I don't know what to do with. I can't even sell it or anything cos it's worthless. I can't even buy new games for it cos there're none. But what am I saying?! - I can't even buy games for it - any games!

It's been so many months now and it's just sitting there gathering dust.

Occasionally I take it out and play some VF3 or DOA2 on it (while yes - & you don't have to rub it in - many of you out there sit home & work your PS2s till the wee hours of dawn /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif), but that's about it.

Biggest regret of my life = buying a DC. /versus/images/icons/frown.gif

2. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

How the hell can you regret buying a DC?
    Jet Set Radio <i>alone</i> is worth the $200 price I spent for it when it first came out, along Sonic Adventure 2, which (no joke) has eaten up 175+ hours of my life (and still going). Sure you can get SA2 on GC now, but it'll cost you a lot more, as will all the other ports! And for DC-only games... you can't deny the goodness of the original Soul Calibur, Crazy Taxi 2, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Outtrigger... need I go on? The SNK conversions are awesome too, and the Capcom fighting selection can't be beat. There's lots of fun, obscure imports too: Twinkle Star Sprites, Napple Tale, the Sakura series, and the godlike Fighting Vipers 2. Plus there's still more coming in Japan. Ikaruga, anyone?
    I think you're just not playing enough DC!

3. Mike90210

Mike90210 Well-Known Member

No way did I regret buying a DC on launch day. I had just as many games for it as I did PS1. Plus Skies of Arcadia was one of my top 3 RPGs. Honestly I dont play the DC anymore but I might blow the dust off it to get ready for SC2. The only thing that bugs me are my 2 sticks that I love just sit there and rot for now. Hopefully Ill have the urge to play SFA3 one day.

4. BakuBaku

BakuBaku Well-Known Member

DC was the best thing i've ever bought. I still dont even have a PSX or PS2. I think I should get one tho.

5. sayow

sayow Well-Known Member

There's Hope Down the Road...

<font color=yellow>I can dig it. Seeing that so far all of us who have responded to you are from the US and that you are in Singapore, I'm starting to appreciate your situation. Games may not be as accessible for you. At least, the original or Sega produced ones may not be available. If Sega stopped production and endorsing altogether, then your assessment is probably correct.

Go ahead and get it all out of your system. I felt the same way when I first bought my Saturn. I did little market research back then and kicked myself all over the place for not doing so (I have a degree in Marketing). Ultimately, I saw its demise coming, sold it back for scrap and went on to buy my PSX.

Hope you have a resale place out there. There are several here in Los Angeles but it would not be worth the cost of shipping it for you even bother. Suggestion: get this behind you save for an Xbox and/or PS2. Give special consideration to Xbox: there are a lot of rumors (even one from Official Xbox Magazine) that VF4 will forego its PS2 exclusivity and possibly go online. Certainly when Final Fantasy XI hits, online gaming for consoles may finally get a launch it deserves. And DOA3 is just gorgeous; I'm quite sure that Jann Lee's Bruce Lee rendition will get you going in the right direction... Halo and GUNVALKYRIE are the only other Xbox titles that rival its visual splendor.</font color=yellow>

6. American_Pai

American_Pai Well-Known Member

Yeah, Sega's on probation with me but the DC was worth it just for Shenmue 1 and 2.

7. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

The dreamcast, in terms of quality titles, is/was the best system ever done. Period.

8. Zero-chan

Re: There's Hope Down the Road...

You sold a Saturn? SCARILEGE!!!
    Saturn was the greatest system Sega ever did. Too bad the general gaming public didn't see that.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Throw that shit away!

10. Tetra

Tetra Well-Known Member

Dreamcast are still being sold to pple in singapore. You can find those gamers selling the 2nd hand ones at <a target="_blank" href=http://www.gamersquare.com>www.gamersquare.com</a>

So it's NOT worthless. Just that the price has really dropped alot compared to the launch.

I only hate dreamcast becos of the noisy drive. IT'S REALLY NOISY....

Anyway, I only have a few games on it. Mainly played VF3. It's worth it if you ask me. Played a few thousands of games on it with my bro. Maybe 10 over thousands. I played it from the launch all the way to PS2 VF4 release...

11. sayow

sayow Well-Known Member

You know why...

<font color=yellow>Zero-chan: LOL Actually, I agree with you. But I wasn't about to be stuck with a 3 pound paperweight...</font color=yellow>

<font color=orange>I only hate dreamcast becos of the noisy drive. IT'S REALLY NOISY....</font color=orange>

<font color=yellow>buyaodawo81: It's thinking...!</font color=yellow>

12. Zero-chan

Dude, you're not impressing anyone here.

13. Mike90210

Mike90210 Well-Known Member

dont front on saturn. that thing has some good ass games.

14. vf4akira

vf4akira Well-Known Member

Hell, before VF4 came out, I played DC a hell of a lot more than PS2. I just finished Rent-a-Hero No 1 again (best action game on DC IMO. /versus/images/icons/wink.gif ) plus been doing some programming on DC.

As for Saturn... D&D collection is the only game I need. I happened to sell my Saturn last year, but I still have my games. They are mostly 2d fighters/shooters, and PSX can't compare to that.

DC may be dead to the general gaming public, but there's a decent homebrew scene out there doing cool stuff. I think it's worth it to check out some of the homebrew progs.

15. Genie47

Genie47 Well-Known Member

The Saturn has only one game that attracts chicks well. Nights into Dreams! Not forgetting Christmas Nights.

I will not throw that away. It is the only game of its kind ever!

16. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

I bought a Dreamcast just to play VF3tb, and I put a lot of hours into that game (more like years). Not to mention the other games I played to death, like Soul Calibur, MvC2, and Jet Grind Radio. I still play VOOT like I'm training for a tourney./versus/images/icons/wink.gif Well, I don't play it as much because of VF4, but I still play it.

VF3tb and VOOT by themselves were enough to make the Dreamcast well worth the purchase.

17. Pinkgirl

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Yeah, Sega's on probation with me but the DC was worth it just for Shenmue 1 and 2.

<hr></blockquote> Hmm...sequels are coming out for the PS2 are they not?

18. Pinkgirl

worthless in the sense that it has close to zero resale value, like what sayow suggests... who would buy a system, new or not, if there are no more games being produced for it? (Unless, of course, they feel like a little nostalgia... which i'm not implying is bad, but isn't for me - I wouldn't buy a system just to play one or two old games which i still really like)

19. Pinkgirl

well i bought DC primarily for vf3tb and doa2... but feel cheated because there isn't a multitude of other games for me to choose from. From a consumer's POV, i feel I'd be better off spending my money on a system which offers me a good variety of games (e.g. Playstation), whether or not I'm buying the system mainly to play 1 or 2 games. It's the principle of the thing.

20. sayow

sayow Well-Known Member

Buya!

<font color=orange>(... "I wouldn't buy a system just to play one or two old games which i still really like")</font color=orange>

<font color=yellow>Exactly. Maybe some of you brothers and sisters have the governmental representation on approved paper lying all over your homes but, for those us of frugality and thrift, we would rather choose to spend our money wisely and effectively. I think we all communaly agree that Sega Saturn and Sega Dreamcast were definitely the class and art of their eras when compared to their counterpart, PSX. But as we have seen in those eras, it's not about being the best made: it's about being the most bought. And by default, it's probably about being the best marketed. More people bought PSX (I'm guessing but, last time I checked, their were over 10 million consoles sold; I doubt Sega sold that many in either Saturn's or Dreamcast's cases).

Systems like PS2 are, at the present, the best way to go because we can play the 150+ PS2 games already released for the console and virtually all of the 1000+ PSX games. This, as we all know, is the great advantage of having the PS2. It is not more advanced technically than its contemporaries, Xbox and GameCube. A programming nightmare some experts say. But if the money is going to be best made there, then you know where the software is going to be and, therefore, the excitement of and best spent money for playing games. And we all know where VF4 ended up, don't we...

Xbox has its upsides as well: vastly better to program for, the best graphics capability available on any console, the horizon of online play just ahead... oh... and some mega-giant world beater called MS backing it. Summarized in short for this exercise...

I personally have no interest in GameCube because I fail to see its upside other than playing games that contain names like Mario, Zelda, Super Smash Brothers, and Donkey Kong. If someone can enlighten us, please do so...

And yes, I'm sure I missed points regarding the other consoles. So share the wealth of knowledge, you data hog! LOL</font color=yellow>