1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Dashing technique on a stick

Discussion in 'Joysticks and Other Controllers' started by Powerthash, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Powerthash

Powerthash Member

Hello!

Are there any recommended techniques for crouch dash (back/forward) on a stick in VF? How do you hold the stick when you do a back CD for example?
    Any tips on how to make it faster and more accurate?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  2. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    I suggest putting the input display in free training mode on, so you can personally test and see for yourself what works for you.

Most similar to Korean Backdash ...might be back dash cancel by defensive move cancel by back dash input? [4][4][8][5][4][4] or [4][4][2][5][4][4]

For me, I have the thumb and index placed on the ball. Middle and ring finger on the opposite sides of the shaft, and the little finger resting on the surface.

Edit: Crouch dashes, input display in free training mode is the best way to just experiment with grip for speed and accuracy of your inputs.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    Powerthash likes this.
  3. Powerthash

Powerthash Member

Yeah, the hardest part are CD's especially when I'm trying to do them fast in a row.

4. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Hi @Powerthash I will use numeric notation, but I do believe it is recommended to use BOTH techniques as it has an impact on what move you can do while doing a crouch dash.

The two methods for crouch dash are:

On a Japanese style arcade stick with a square gate, I really like the 323 method. The way I do this technique is I press the stick into the 3 corner and I move the stick towards 2 just enough to feel the microswitch associated with the 6 direction “un-click” and then I move the stick back to 3.

353 is basically double tapping the 3 direction. You input 3, return stick to neutral, then input 3 again.

I play Lion and which crouch dash method I use matters! Lion has 33P+K and he also has 3P+K which can be inputted while crouching. Sometimes I want to do Crouch Dash —> 3P+K. If I do 353P+K I will get 33P+K and I will not get 3P+K. To get 3P+K after a crouch dash, I would want to input 323P+K.

I will admit, on Player 1 side I am faster at doing 323 method of Crouch Dash. On Player 2 side I am faster using 353.

Powerthash likes this.
  5. Powerthash

Powerthash Member

I'm using 353 in most cases. Will try 323 instead. How clean is your input on a stick? Watching the input display I noticed that sometimes I have some extra moves while doing CD but it is still working.

Chanchai likes this.
  6. Chanchai

The input buffer is pretty lenient :)

That said, which character are you using? i can give you some fun CD applications, some that require 323 and some that require 353 and more!

Powerthash likes this.
  7. Powerthash

Powerthash Member

I'm using Akira. So he has a lot of 353 in his movement's list.

Chanchai likes this.
  8. Chanchai

With Akira, the only case I am aware of where which type of crouch dash input you use affects your options is Crouch Dash --> 3P

If you do 353P you will get CD --> 33P uppercut (yoho)

If you do 323P you will get CD --> 3P (Akira's version of a basic Elbow)

Everything else I've tried so far allows you to do the same things whether using 353 or 323.

Powerthash likes this.