1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Deadly Move - Setups and Combos?

Discussion in 'Wolf' started by MadeManG74, Sep 3, 2012.

1. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

Deadly move seems to have some potentially useful tools, particularly set-ups for low throws/combos off of the running knee, combos from his high throw and the unblockable drop-kick. The problem seems to be that it's very easy to see coming and all the moves can be easily knocked out of before they connect. While i've had some success using it on wakeup when close, but even then it can be beaten by most recovery attacks.

How do you guys use this move, if at all? Any tips on landing moves from it and what options there are for damage?

2. YOMI

YOMI not a legendary game designer

PSN:
    buttoi-man
    Don't use DM, it's pretty shitty. I can't think of any specific setup where you would be safe trying for a DM "mixup" since it's so slow and easy to see coming. The most I can think of is on your oponents wakeup, but you're hard pressed trying to find a situation where you have enough space and advantage between you and your opponent to start DM and do a move from it, plus if they don't tech, you're just going to run over them, ruining your setup. Sure, the moves from DM seem very attractive; a high catch throw which nets you a combo, a low catch throw and a knee-class attack which again gives you a combo to mix it up in case they start ducking the high catch throw, plus two unblockble high moves. The problem still just is that you aren't going to land any of these on anyone who knows about DM and it's crappiness, that being said you can try to use it against online scrubs, but even then there's a chance they'll just do random moves and beat you out. If you really want to use do slow running moves, just use plain WR P+K_6_K+G, it's not any better, but it's faster.

3. Mister

Mister Well-Known Member Content Manager Wolf Content Manager Sarah Content Manager Aoi

I use it in the oki situation. When my opponent is standing up you have the lariat and the flyind double kick which are unblockable and the catch throw when you want the most damage ever; when he/she is staying down you have the knee the low throw; and when he/she is attacking you have the quick shoulder attack which is really damn difficult to evade and beats rising attacks with the right timing.
    That's the only use i found for this running stance.

4. Airegin

Airegin Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Airegin42
    XBL:
    Airegin42
    I think it's another worthy tool to fit into your toolbox. It's a really solid mix-up option when your opponent has begun to see through some of your more standard mix-up and cross-up antics.

For example, if you've been heavily punishing with Wolf's throws. then your opponent is probably trained to respond to openings by trying to duck them. Say you're at medium or longer range and you need to close the gap, then it gives you several solid options to further get inside your opponents head. You come running and they're probably gonna duck and leave themselves wide open for a running knee into your standard bread & butter 4 6 p+k combos.

Then once they see that, they'll begin high guarding when they see you coming at that range. This is where you can fit in an unblockable like the deadly move p or even the high throw into a combo.

The trick is to read your opponent and try to gauge how they will react before you engage in the deadly move. If you're online and fighting someone spamming pppk combos, then it's probably not a good starting option. If you're in the fifth round with someone in a hard fought confrontation and they're on to a lot of your tricks, this is something new to make them keep guessing.

5. YOMI

PSN:
    buttoi-man
    Your opponent is going to have to be really bad to fall into DM "solid mix-up" especially when they're standing neutral or guarding and you're running toward them. It's just not worth the risk, and the risk is being easily launched because you're running at them slowly and defenseless.

6. Unicorn

Unicorn Well-Known Masher Content Manager Wolf

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    Then players in top8 on summerjam where obviously realy bad, because Chief Flash landed DM moves more that a few times

7. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

I do agree that it's really really easy to stuff, which is why I never use other than when the opponent has been knocked down and I'm already close to them. I find in that situation I can sometimes catch them, although even rising attacks can be an issue in that situation (although as said in Mister's post, the tackle can beat those sometimes).

I didn't realise the Lariat was an unblockable too though, what's the difference between using Lariat unblockable and Dropkick unblockable? Is the lariat evadable?

8. Mister

Mister Well-Known Member Content Manager Wolf Content Manager Sarah Content Manager Aoi

The lariat does more damage (35+18) and doesn't put you in the ground. Altought it seems to be better on the paper, if your opponent simple ducks under your lariat you are at greater diasdvantage since you can take a combo.
    The missile drop kick is great for ring outs with an incredible push back.

9. YOMI

PSN:
    buttoi-man
    Clutch. Vast majority of Wolf players don't use DM because how bad it is, but if you're going up Wolf with that mind set and not expecting it, it can work, but on the other hand so can a lot of other stuff too.

10. EmX

EmX Well-Known Member

I really wish it worked better vs. hard knockdowns.

11. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

use DM after spinning knock downs like after the spinning lariat, or f+P,P+k you have more than enough time to use the catch / knee mixup.. when you want to get really smart, you can go for high unblockables to screw up your opponent's timing. if you know how to work the DM, you can really mess with your opponent after they rise without an attack. sometimes if they rise with an attack, if you are really clever, you can intercept it with the knee and get MC.

JacobEvo, Unicorn and Mister like this.