1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Defensive Move and the Input Buffer Window

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by akai, Mar 10, 2022.

1. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    Not sure if this is known already and that it is just new to me.

Lately, I have been observing closely the exact inputs of command and the resulting moves that are executed from it. I noticed for defensive move ([8][5] or [2][5]) that you can input the [8] or [2] "tap" at least 6 frames outside of the normal 12-frame input buffer window and that it still executes correctly if you release the tapped direction within the 12-frame input buffer window.

In contrast, tapping [G], [P], or [K] buttons, the initial pressing of the button within 12-frame input buffer window is critical to determine whether your intended command is executed correctly. If the initial "tap" press of the button is outside the 12-frame buffer window and the "tap" is released within the 12-frame input buffer window, the command is not recognized.

For example, my initial "tap" press of the [2][P] is outside the 12-frame input buffer window and both direction and button was released at the same time within the 12-frame input buffer window. The defensive move is executed instead of low punch.

I am unsure if this is unique to defensive move or does the buffer window work differently for any direction inputs.

Chanchai and Dreamboat like this.
  2. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    The input buffer window only applies to buttons. Buttons entered before the buffer get ignored, so your [2][5] input resulting in a DM is as expected.

Directional inputs are still valid prior to the input buffer, and is the key to performing 0-frame delay inputs.

Chanchai and Dreamboat like this.
  3. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    The input buffer window is also important for directions, but with additional rules it seems. I understand that.

From actual tests, for defensive move if I tapped [8] for 4 frames, the most important frame is the 4th frame needing to be within the input buffer window. For the 0-frame delay inputs related to dash inputs...if I tapped [6] for 4 frames, the most important frame is the position of the first frame in relationship to the input buffer window. The other 3 frames are not important. Hope that makes sense.

Edit: I might be misunderstanding something, but looking through my notes where I entered [6][6][K] too early, both [6][6] and [6][6][K] does not execute. Which is different from some situations in which[2][P] is entered too early.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2022
    Chanchai, Tricky and Dreamboat like this.