1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Dengeki PS2 Interview

Discussion in 'Console' started by ice-9, Jan 25, 2002.

1. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Thanks to CoreMagazine.com for the translation, and whoever it was that pointed this article out (elsewhere). It's such a good interview I decided to repost here for everyone's benefit.

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Sega-AM2 producers Yu Suzuki and Hiroshi Kataoka recently went on record with Dengeki PS2 in Japan to discuss the PlayStation2 version of Virtua Fighter 4. Scheduled for release on January 31 in Japan, the game is already being acclaimed as one of the most accurate translations in the history of the series.

Dengeki PS2: What problems did you encounter when translating Virtua Fighter 4 to the PlayStation2?

Suzuki-san: There's always problems when translating an arcade game to a console, but we had no significant trouble with the PlayStation2. It's always difficult working on new hardware, but since this was our first PS2 title, we wanted to make our fans proud.

Dengeki PS2: When did development actually begin on the PS2 version?

Kataoka-san: We did preliminary research on the PlayStation2 more than a year ago, before the arcade version of Virtua Fighter 4. Actual development began once the arcade version was finished.

Dengeki PS2: So the translation took about six months then?

Kataoka-san: About that [smiles..] If we simply wanted a direct port of the arcade version we could have released it in mid-December, it was technically finished then. Since then we've focused on adding new features to the PlayStation2 version, making sure it's 120% done.

Suzuki-san: There was another arcade project planned, but the staff decided this was our highest priority.

Dengeki PS2: The training mode in the PlayStation2 version features three separate subsystems; freestyle, trial and command. Can you explain that?

Kataoka-san: Several members of the development team had their own ideas for the training mode. We decided to include three different styles so we could help people who prefer each style. Many aspects are now visualized including the length of executing a command. That way players won't make timing mistakes. Players can also record a series of moves which the computer will mimic. So you can learn how to avoid and guard against even your best attacks.

Dengeki PS2: What was the inspiration behind the 'AI' mode in the PlayStation2 version of VF4?

Kataoka-san: It's based on something we tried in Virtua Fighter 2. Our programmers liked it so much they dedicated to make it a separate mode this time.

Suzuki-san: I like to think of the AI mode as involving more thought in terms of the player rather than straightforward action.

Dengeki PS2: So characters can increase AI levels and become stronger?

Kataoka-san: While AI levels aren't exactly linked to strength, you can build them up. You can also fight against your friends saved characters in AI mode.

Suzuki-san: Building your AI levels can help considerably in Kumite mode as well.

Dengeki: Can your characters raise their AI level or learn new moves by watching replay data?

Kataoka-san: Yes, your character can learn from replay data in Arcade, Kumite and Versus modes. Your characters can also benefit from replay data of other characters.

Suzuki-san: Replays from tournaments can provide precious data. I wonder if the exchange of replay data will become popular on the PlayStation2 because of that.

Dengeki PS2: Like the arcade version, an item collection system is included in the PlayStation2 edition of Virtua Fighter 4. Was that something you originally planned to incorporate?

Kataoka-san: Yes, for the core VF4 players it provides an extra incentive to practice. It also provides a reward for casual players.

Suzuki-san: I think it's a great way to enjoy the PlayStation2 with friends and practice your skills. Players can collect items in the versus and sparring modes.

Dengeki PS2: What do you think is the true charm of the Virtua Fighter series?

Kataoka-san: I think of Virtua Fighter as a sport. There are people who travel around the world to play in tournaments. People don't consider the strength of the characters anymore, but the strength of the player.

-- Translation Asst. Tsuno Okashi

<hr></blockquote>

Isn't the AI mode kinda creepy considering the whole basis of Dural was to collect data from the fighters? LOL.

2. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting the interview. Sounds awesome... can't wait for next week!

3. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Welcome Chris! Here's an excerpt from the Gamespot preview about the AI mode that I also found interesting:

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

The AI system mode in VF4 lets you actually teach your AI character how to play the game. You'll have three options for training your character. If you select sparring in AI system mode, you'll fight against your AI character. The character will "learn" from your actions as you attack it since you'll be playing as the same character. A window at the bottom of the screen will let you know when your character is learning a move off of you. Your second training option is to have your AI character go through kumite mode or versus mode. You'll have no direct control over your character as it fights matches; instead, you'll see the same window you see when sparring onscreen during a fight. As the match progresses you'll be asked for feedback via the X and O buttons.

Pressing the O button will tell your AI character its current mode of attack is correct, while the X button will tell it that its current attack style is wrong. If you save your replays to the memory card, you can watch them in the replay mode found in the AI system option menu and coach it there by using the same X and O button method. It's a cool but spooky feature, as you see your little virtual minion start to learn how to fight effectively.

<hr></blockquote>

For those that haven't seen the new stage, <a target="_blank" href=http://gamespot.com/gamespot/images/2002/playstation2/vf4/012402/vf4_screen084.jpg>click here</a>. (Warning, the pic is very low quality).

EDIT:

<a target="_blank" href=http://ps2media.ign.com/media/previ.../vf4/vf4_14.mov>http://ps2media.ign.com/media/previ.../vf4/vf4_14.mov</a> for a clip of the new stage! Looking good! The sound effects of falling in the water sounds a little lame though.

4. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Sounds like Black and White... you could smack your creature upside the head if he started crapping on villagers, and could train him by making him carry a rock and forcing him to run circles around your domain. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

I really like that you can train the AI character in many different ways -- teaching him/her what's right or wrong, showing the AI new moves and flowcharts, getting your AI to learn from replays from matches with your friends... maybe people will start figuring out how to upload VF4 PS2 matches and exchange them over the web, so you can download and save to your PS2 card and use that as added training fodder...

5. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

6. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    I'm already on it /versus/images/icons/wink.gif. Gameshark makes a thing called "sharkport" for PS2 that lets you upload and download PS2 saves from tne web. I think you just need a USB port and windows 98 or higher. It costs about $30. People can start trading replays, AI characters, character data etc next week.

Spotlite

7. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

oops, nm, I figured out what's up.
    sorry for the confusion.

8. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Maybe VFDC should have an AI/match exchange forum if we get this to work... =)

9. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Yeah, Spotlite (or anyone else), if you get the sharkport to work, let us know... it'd be the easiest way for people without video capture cards to share replays.

Ice-9, thanks a bunch for posting those articles in this forum. Training a virtual VF character sounds very intriguing. Is it confirmed that we'll be able to have 2 player created AI's square off against each other?

10. soulmachine

soulmachine Well-Known Member

Yes, you can have two CPU AI's fight each other.

11. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

IMHO, the problem with the AI is that it's very bad at stance changing, G-cancelling, etc.

I had massive problems teaching Ponzu (my Lei Fei AI), so I creating Katsuo (my Kage AI), thinking that might be easier... well, Katsuo has some problems doing sequences such as ff+K (G-cancel) ~ PKG-cancel ~ throw... or PPb+P ~ Jumonji P+K (hold) ~ df+K+G. (i.e. same problems with G-cancelling and stance changing).

12. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Keep it simple--
    Rock, paper, scissor
    Low punch, elbow, throw

How is Katsuo doing on his ten foot toss combos? =)

If we were to have an AI tournament, the simpler characters would probably dominate (Jacky, Akira, Lau) but I would wager that the person that trained his character to have a good basic game would do the best too. It seems like the robot with the simplest strategy almost always wins those MIT sponsored robot games, no?