1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Difference Between PG and PKG (senbon)?

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by DLC, Apr 26, 2002.

1. DLC

DLC Member

Hi
    Just wondering what the difference between these were, mainly in terms of the combo flowcharts that a lot of the characters have. I see PG and PKG at different times and was wondering why not just senbon instead of PG since it in essence does the same thing and is theoretically faster.

Does PG have some characteristic (other then being easier on the fingers) that would make it better at times?

thx
    DLC

2. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    - The PKG is slower than the PG (ever since VF3).
    - The PKG will move you forward more than a PG. Thus you'd use a PKG if the PG was missing or not reaching in an air combo for example.

It's essentially a tradeoff between speed (PG) and range (PKG). They both have their uses.

3. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

Not all PKGs are senbons... senbons are ONLY present in VF2, version 2.0.

4. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

- The PKG will move you forward more than a PG. Thus you'd use a PKG if the PG was missing or not reaching in an air combo for example.

I think this is incorrect (re: the air combo). you end up further forward after a PKG, but the actual range of the PG and PKG is identical (how's the game gonna move your punch forward when you haven't even pressed kick yet?)
    holding F+P is the best way to get more range.

to the original poster: I think the tradeoff is simply that while both are equally safe, the PKG's unique animation tends to make opponents flinch or press guard, they're more likely to freeze up because they think something's coming after the punch. In combos the PKG is just style, or else the PKG moves you forward a bit at the end of the K,G part... and so you're closer to connecting the next attack by a hair.

5. Harlock

Harlock Member

Sorry to ask such a newbish question, but what are you talking about? What is a PG and a PKG?

6. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

I quickly tested this in training mode and it seems to be that PKGs move the character forward slightly more than a PG. It's close, but the PKG wins out. This was the case in VF3 as Myke said. I can remember combos that needed a PKG for that extra distance to get it to work - case in point, Jeff's Knee, PG, PKG, Knee. Also, when I was doing (slope v. Sarah) SDE (MC), 3xP, DbPm, I had to do it as PG, PG, PKG DbPm as 3 PGs would result in the DbPm missing.

The range of the punch is indeed the same - a punch's a punch's a punch after all /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

cheers,

7. SG-Lion

SG-Lion Well-Known Member

I have been practising on PG and PKG on PS2 for Lion. After few rounds of Kumite, I conclude that PG is more advantage for Lion rather than PKG. I also remember reading it somewhere in this forum about this.

SG-Lion

8. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Lion can't PKG. Unless this is new in VF4.
    PKG only works with characters who do a punch, then a plain, straight high kick (the kind that can normally be cancelled).

Maybe you were mas..pressing PKG at the same time?
    the PKG's we're talking about are done by pressing punch, then kick, then quickly tapping guard. It's a punch-kick combo that's cancelled.

9. SG-Lion

SG-Lion Well-Known Member

Well, it was started from the AkiraKid movie on the Akira's senbon... so I thought Lion also have it. Then, Lion's K is a back-kick. So no PKG /versus/images/icons/frown.gif... therefore, end up with PG

SG-Lion

10. DLC

DLC Member

so, when doing the PKG, is there actually a leg feint motion to get the extra movement? I tried it and didn't seem to notice a difference when I got the PKG to happen without any movement from the leg.

I'll try it some more when I get back, but thanks for all the info!
    DLC

11. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

You're pressing PKG too fast if you don't see the leg feint. Try P..K....G and you'll see it.

12. Robyrt

Robyrt Well-Known Member

When you do it right, there should be almost no visible leg twitching for a PKG, and it'll move you forward slightly more than a standard P(G). Note that this is the VF2 "senbon punch" which cancels the K in a P,K combo, not Lion's P+K+G special punch, which has the opposite effect (i.e. you don't move forward at all).

13. Deniz

Deniz Well-Known Member

Just a reminder, FWIW, it's not just Lion's special P+K+G punch: Lau, Pai, Sarah, Wolf, Kage, and Aoi also have the special P+K+G punch.