1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

"Different" ranking match...

Discussion in 'Quest, Kumite and Items' started by cka, Apr 14, 2002.

1. cka

cka Active Member

Just playing a little while ago with Lei Fei, something odd happened... I got a ranking match, but instead of saying "Promotion if you win" at the bottom it just said "PROMOTIONAL BATTLE". I won it, and skipped over 3rd kyu. At first, I thought that this type of ranking match meant that you could skip a rank in the tiering, but I skipped over 1st kyu too -- except the 2nd kyu -> 1st dan fight was a regular promotional battle where it says "Promotion if you win" at the bottom of the screen...

Anyone else have these types of ranking matches and/or know specifically what they're about? Curiosity has the best of me here.

2. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Because the kyu levels are based on experience points, I think this sometimes will happen when you go on a winning streak. You get bonus experience points for a long win streak and I think you get promoted a level every 100 pts you earn. Therefore if you win a match and it earns you more than 100 pts, there's a chance that you could skip a kyu level completely.

3. realdeal77

realdeal77 Member

You get experience points even for losing, so if you have 399 points, you will still get promoted even if you lose.

4. b4k4

b4k4 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SoundReason
    Yeah, I encountered the exact same thing, couldn't figure it out... I made a post actually... the only difference is that I think it said "RANKING MATCH" for me, as opposed to "PROMOTION BATTLE"... oh well, yeah, I've done it myself.

5. Jythier

Jythier Member

You can't promote unless you win, no matter the experience.