1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Direction Notation "6" = "f", is there a reason for this?

Discussion in 'Site News, Questions and Feedback' started by Vargus, Jun 11, 2021.

1. Vargus

Vargus Member

Hi,

Coming from a SF and (sadly) Tekken background, I am puzzled that numeric keypad format ("6") is used for directions ("f") in VF.

u/b, u, u/f, f, d/f, d, d/b, b and QCF, HCF... etc seem an easy fit for VF. I mean, I am missing something here?

Now granted depending on one's region, would probably and largly determine, if you used a particular notation stlye is used over another.

However, I find numeric notation hard to wrap my head around, I been told that in SC Series with the 8-Way run system, the numeric notation is the most logical choice, given less headaches when explaining stuff, other methods are just too confusing or just don't work.

But is it "required" for VF too? IE logical and less headaches?

Now granted, I don't expect you to change the whole vfdc website just for me, but I just was wondering if anyone else from a SF and Tekken background is struggling with this?

I was thinking of writing a text file for the commands and combos, but in the "familiar" u/b, u etc format. It is a lot of work, but I figure if this helps SF, Tekken or any other fighter that uses the spoke of "familiar" format, it might be useful and easier for new fighting game players or ones making the transition from another fighter to VF.

Before I even start on this, is it a lost cause? it just doesn't work, like in SC?

I mean I am grateful for [6] can be used as a instead of 6, it is a small victory I guess.

But, If someone could explain why numeric keypad notation is used?

And if and/or why anything else is not worth it?

Any help/explanation/tips would be much appreciated here.

Thanks

erdraug likes this.
  2. Blessy

Blessy Moderator / -10 is just Nitaku Staff Member Content Manager Goh Bronze Supporter Content Manager Aoi Tournament Manager

One of the main reasons is that we can communicate with people regardless of region using numpad notation, most fighting games scenes outside of western Tekken use numpad notation I believe. Given all command and combo lists use [6] instead of just 6 I can't see how much it would help to have them written out another way. I'm in no way saying don't do it or it's pointless, I'm just unsure how it would help.

I'd really reccomend learning numpad notation as it does make it far easier to crossover to other games and easily understand the notation.

erdraug and Sonic The Fighters like this.
  3. Vargus

Vargus Member

You make a number of good points, thanks for the reply.

Now that I think about it, I guess it doesn't matter how much I might fight this, Bottomline all roads would lead to, learning the numeric keypad notation.

Regardless, this always was a problem for me, which is why I never bothered. It was so bad that I didn't bother to learn SC series because I didn't like the notation.

I guess the last thing left to discuss, is for others forum members to chime in and request if they would like my intial proposal, replace numeric keypad notation with (I suppose I could call it...) direction notation EG u/b, u etc.

If it would help a lot of members here at vfdc, it might be a worthwhile project to pursue.

4. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    I prefer to use letters instead of numbers also, but once you get used to it, it should not be hard to remember.

7 8 9
    4 5 6
    1 2 3

The way numeric keypad is arranged is similar to joystick square gate and imagining playing on the 1P side.
    "4" on the Keypad already functions as the right arrow on computers, "6" is left arrow, "2" is down arrow, and "8" is up arrow. I remember in the 1990s playing Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter 2 with a numeric keypad on PC (I do not recommend!) as the direction inputs.

Edit: If you write using f, F, b, B - most members will recognize that notation also. The command lists were written using that format

5. Vargus

Vargus Member

Yeah, I know how it works. Its just when reading a "number notation", I have to stop a pause a few seconds and workout where the number is, and what direction it means, takes a little to comprehend, not fluent in it yet. It also sux that keypad on my phone is reversed compared to a numeric keypad, lol.

I suppose what I was wanting to know was, if typing/posting commands there were conflicts. The following is not the best set of examples Given "G" solves both problems, but if there was something "LIKE" this, is what I was wanting to know why numeric keypad is used.

EG I gather G = Guard is used instead of B = Block, because B could be used for B = Back. So if you used the latter you could get it confused with each other.

EG B+K, is it back+kick? or block+kick? I was just wondering if Numeric keypad notation avoids problems "like" these.

Not being as familiar with In-depth VF specific system mechanics, there may better examples of notation conflicts, as to why Numeric keypad notation is used.

Anyway, I think I've dragged this on for long enough. It is minor I guess in the end.

@akai thanks for posting.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  6. smbhax

smbhax Well-Known Member

PSN:
    smbhax
    I started out in KOF. Mostly saw the non-numeric notation in those FAQs; if it used numeric notation, I closed the FAQ and looked for another one. Still do. ; )

(I think G is just used for Guard because it's short for Guard which is the actual name of the button.)

7. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623