1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion of priority in VF4(or any VF game)

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by ReCharredSigh, Mar 7, 2002.

1. ReCharredSigh

ReCharredSigh Well-Known Member

ok, i dunno if this topic was posted before(and don't tell me about the priority stuff listed in the vf3tb FAQ, i've seen it), but here's what i think determines the general idea of what makes an attack have higher priority than others;

speed- this is the 1st most important component, if your attack comes out faster, it will hit the opponent more times than they will hit you
    dynamics- this is also important; attacks that rear the character back or dodge him to the side or make him crouch will generally have higher priority than other attacks, because simply put, the opponent's attack will hit air, while yours will connect, and much like this one, the next component is also similar;
    range- i consider this the 3rd highest component, and it's easy to see; it is fairly hard trying to interrupt lau's heelkick or sarah's punt kick at max range; at that place, very few attacks reach out fast and far enough.

from there, you have the debate of what happens when 2 attacks hit at the very same time, and that's where you look at the vf3tb faq to get an idea;

damage rating- the higher the damage rating, the more often it will beat out
    hit detection- the higher it is, the greater the chance you beat the opponent out
    lifebar difference- the lower it is, the greater the chance you beat the opponent out(assuming the above 2 are the same)

well, that's my idea(with some ideas taken from the vf3tb FAQ); feel free to post what you think

2. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

another guy and I argued this earlier..<a target="_blank" href=http://virtuafighter.com/versuscity/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=versus&Number=20524&page=&view=&sb=&o=>here.</a>

Anyway.. priority is definitely not JUST a factor of where a move hits and which move comes out first, some of it is preprogrammed. EG in VF3 and earlier versions of VF4, Akira's shoulder ram beat damn near anything, even tho it was slower than certain attacks. Now it loses. The vulnerability of the move was tweaked. Ditto lau's upknife, it used to beat high punches every time in VF2, now it loses.

3. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Ditto lau's upknife, it used to beat high punches every time in VF2, now it loses.

Yeah, the upknife just isn't what it used to be. Still a good move, but not the ultimate floater tool of the past...

4. ReCharredSigh

ReCharredSigh Well-Known Member

wow; i'm amazed at what's already been discussed on these threads before; guess i'm not that original(i've brought up topics of backstaggering, damage reduction systems and the like, and it seems you guys always seem to cover it all already, way before i do). sorry for wasting bandwidth, if that's what it's called. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif