1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

DLC on a PS2 pad possible?!

Discussion in 'Akira' started by Papeseh, Apr 4, 2002.

1. Papeseh

Papeseh Member

ello ppl,

Trust me I did search the forums for this, but I couldnt find anything on the matter.

Anyways I started playing VF4 about 3 days ago, and obviously started with Akira /versus/images/icons/wink.gif - I played VF1 for a bit (had it on the pc) so Im not completely n00b to the game.

To get to the point, I cant manage to pull of the DLC with the PS2 pad, when it comes to the b,f,f+p+k by thumb cant seem to move fast enuff across the D-pad to get the action done. Ive heard you can delay the DBC, but the kick, elbow comes out so fast I cant even complete the whole motion before the elbow has finished.

Just so you know, I can do the SPoD pretty well, but I cant seem to do the DLC, which many ppl say is far easier to pull off. Any advise besides getting a stick?

2. SilentKnight

SilentKnight Active Member

practice. akira is one hard character to play as.

3. Zakkmc

Zakkmc Member

Yeah, I haven't been able to do this either. I've decided to play with Lau a bit and come back to this :)

I'm not very good with Akira though. I have spent numerous hours in command training trying to get the DLC and I have yet to nail it.

Zakk

4. 22222

22222 Active Member

yeah i agree....one prob i had was that the knee was like...too slow..b4 the elbow came out then thus enabling the enemy to hit u sigh.....thats a prob....is it always like that ?? how cum i always see plp do dlc then all like...comes out so fast?? any comments?

5. Kale

Kale Active Member

Its very possible. I can do it quite frequently in juggles with my ps2 dual shock. I do the b, f, f+p+k really fast. What I first did was in the practice was go into free and put it into slow motion and do it there for a little while and then later move on to normal speed. I just picked up VF4 like 2 weeks ago too.

6. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

I've found the same to be true, you can't get your thumb across.
    I'm suspicious of the other guy who replied and claims he can.
    Get a stick if you plan on being a serious akira.. just friendly advice.

7. Ealsen

Ealsen Well-Known Member

You CAN do DLC with PS2 pad. Because I can do it like nearly 70% all the time. Now I could do it better with PS2 dual controller than I could do in the arcade ( I am a casual Akira player ). I admit it's abit hard to do b,f,f+P+K. But you don't really slide your thumb across from b to f rather than you press b and quickly jump pressing f, f+P+K. This should work.

8. Kale

Kale Active Member

I'm completely serious when I say I can do the DLC on the dual shock. I'm not just saying I can do it without being able to do it. I"m putting alot of time into the game and one of the things I do is the DLC to try and perfect it.

9. JoJoBiZARrE

JoJoBiZARrE Member

It is true that the move is hard to do. But just practice enough times and sooner or later you'll start to understand the timing it takes to execute such a move. as soon as you press df+K+G, press f+P, then dont even wait for the animation to take place, go straight to b,f,f+P+K.

10. Hellespont

Hellespont New Member

yes, it's pretty possible, although it's far from easy but hey, i've had my VF4 for just one day. i've played VF3 pretty extensively but I'm not an Akira guy, so this may give a li'l spark of hope for those who'd want to continue patronizing Akira and the D-pad /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

Personally i find it easier to do DLC on the 2p side, prolly because it's easier for me to shift my thumb from right to left than otherwise.

The main trick for me here is buffer the whole command for the first two moves of the combo during the first hit, so you'd have more time to do the third command, but that's not to say it'd be a lot easier coz it's still frickin hard /versus/images/icons/smile.gif i'd say practice is the only way to do the move consistently.

btw any thoughts on Akira's new 3-hit combo, uses (other than float combos), neat flowcharts, stuff?

11. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Akira's new 3 hit combo is good for low floats, but I don't think it's that useful out in the open vs. a standing opponent. It looks nice and powerful, but it really does very little damage. A low punch --> DblPm or a modified DblPm by itself would be a better choice for floats IMO, and if you're not up to the level of buffering in crouch dashes use the ff+KK double jump kick for floats.

12. Hot_Rod

Hot_Rod Member

I can do it about 30% of the time. And thats from practicing very little. So I guess its very possible.

13. Hellespont

Hellespont New Member

Re: d+K+G, f+K, bf+P

aside from low floats, i only use it as a mixup to Akira's two hit combos, but very sparingly, if only to change my flow once in a while. or as bait for reversals when I get cocky /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif hehe...

sometimes I get a SPoD out of a break guard after the three-hit combo. Either I'm lucky or the opponent's doing the statue dance /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif

14. Papeseh

Papeseh Member

Thanks for the help ppl, I stil cant do it. But the fact that its possible means that all the practice and fustration im putting in should hope fully pay off.

Whats a Modified Dblplm?

15. Ealsen

Ealsen Well-Known Member

Don't be frustrated. At first when PS2 VF4 came out, I was totally sure that it was impossible to do DLC or even SPoD with Joypad. Now slowly (About 1 month of training.) I manage to get them all out.

Modified dblplm = df,df(Crouch dash) - b,f+p
    This allows you to buffer in crouch to execute doublepalm without having to crouch beforehand.

16. Ellinas

Ellinas Well-Known Member

I learned to DLC on the dreamcast pad, so the much more accurate ps2 pad is heaven to me. I'm like 90% on DLC. just make sure you press f+P quickly as jojobizarre said, so u have plenty of time to input the 3rd command. You don't really need it anyhow, in all places where you can use it that i know of, there's a better, more damaging alternative that's easier to do (easier, IMO)

17. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC

if you're using the pad, you should use the default "type A" setting, and use the shoulder buttons for the various button combinations. some people say you should use 3 fingers on the small, ps2 pad buttons, arcade style. But I think this is really awkward, and if you're gonna do that, you should just get a stick. I just hold the pad like I would for any other game.

Actually, I can do the DLC more consistantly with my pad than I can with my stick at the moment, so don't let anyone tell you it isn't possible; it's just a matter of practice. I've seen people do crazy shit with pads, holding them normally.

to do the DLC, I do d/f+R2, f+Triangle, b,f,f+R1. Make sure you return to neutral between the kick and the elbow. practice in training mode on slow, like someone else said.

If you still have trouble, try learning the Fujin first (d+R2, f+circle, b,f+triangle). It's kind of a simplified version of the DLC command.

If you practice, you should be able to do any combo.

Spotlite

18. Papeseh

Papeseh Member

Thanks for all the help lads!! Ive managed to do it at last, Ive done it about 5 times in each direction. Im not consistent at it at all, but i kinda have a technique now /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

I have a really really weird pad setup, cos i use r1 and r2 and puch and kick and x as guard. Triangle, circle, sq are my p+g, P+KG as are the l1 and l2 buttons. /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

Anyways I found that it helped to just practice the bodycheck (b,f,f+p+k) really fast so i could whip it out so it became second nature to my fingers. Then just add that to a really fast d/f+k, f+p- and violia, sometimes anyway. Also- I found that if u do the actions lightly and not squeeze the guts out of the pad (like i used to) all moves come out easier. Cos ur hand is more relaxed and it can move about quicker. And i was thinking id have to shell out a bob or so for a stick ;D

19. Deniz

Deniz Well-Known Member

spotlite: I am curious as to how you do Akira's knee with that setup? Also, isn't it awkward to press the L1 and L2 buttons while trying to use (I presume) the left thumb for directional inputs?

The only really annoying thing about the pad is trying to find the best button layout. I have changed configurations several times as I've tried to discover the optimal one. The one I've settled on for now is triangle for guard, R1 and R2 for punch and kick respectively. For a while I tried the odd triangle for punch, R1 for guard, and R2 for kick, since this made doing Akira's knee very easy for me; but having guard as a middle button was causing too many mistakes with finger memory, so I gave up on it. Before that, I originally used three fingers ("typing method") with the default settings (and trigger buttons deactivated), but I just found it too awkward for rapid P+K+G inputs, and for certain switches between consecutive moves requiring two simultaneous button presses, and my fingers would get cramped after extensive playing. It's still a pretty good arrangement though.

Getting back to the main topic: The DLC is definitely doable on a PS2 pad.

BTW, one move that I have a difficult time (so far) with on the pad, that no one has mentioned is Kage's forward roll into a Dragon Punch (Kageyaiba): QCF, f, d, df. Anybody have any hints on the best way to do it?

20. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

"""Anybody have any hints on the best way to do it?"""

Yes..do it real QUICK