1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

DM P+K

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by TheWorstPlayer, Mar 6, 2008.

1. TheWorstPlayer

TheWorstPlayer Well-Known Member

Hey folks simply because I've been getting obliterated by DM P+K
    lately I was wondering who has some of the best DM's and why?
    Maybe we can put a quick cheat sheet in this thread unless there's
    something of the like somewhere else. In particularly I've been
    having a tough time punishing Kages DM P+K since it pushes back and
    seems non throw counterable although it's supposed to be -15.

2. Cozby

Cozby OMG Custom Title! W00T!

PSN:
    CozzyHendrixx
    XBL:
    Stn Cozby
    If you were playing Lei-Fei you could reverse his DM spam with dokuritsu shiki

3. Outfoxd

Outfoxd Well-Known Member

Blaze's DM P+K is crazy because on counter it sets up an unduck-able Hot Dog and it usually always clashed with throws.

4. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    Sometimes it helps to use the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif button.

Since you play Jeffry, use /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif//forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f_.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif right after blocking it. If the opponent can block your /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif//forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f_.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif: you're doing it too slow.

And, shit why do you insist on punishing with throws? A half-decent player can always escape.

And again... I made a punishment thread for your character.

5. Chibitox

Chibitox Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

Akira's DM is quite good in terms of deceptiveness, it can go under high full circulars ! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif it's -15 on block though. Kage's seems to be of the same type (not sure if it ducks as much).
    Some of the kick based (ex Jacky, DS Vane, Goh) DMs are the same. Some give a crumple on counter (Lau)
    Some gives a good wall stagger even from a distance (Sarah, Lau)
    Lion's is pretty special in that it is a special high, safe on block, with combo on hit.

6. TheWorstPlayer

I guess Konjou, Denkai, Glory, and even Chief aren't half decent
    then. Fuck me if Outfoxd isn't half way good or even
    Gentlementhief, you know what? Friggin Geewaldo must suck too,
    and the list goes on and on. Or maybe it's better to just blame
    it on, online why they can't always break my throws. Tough shit
    though since we're I only play them online they must suffer the
    consequences. Go fig, either that or you're exaggerating. Maybe
    it's better to say, "maybe you should go with the guaranteed
    damage." But anyway you're elitist attitude is refreshing as always.

And shit do you reply to EVERY thread.

Again, obviously I didn't read it. If you don't
    want to reply to something you've written already
    then don't reply....it's really not hard. Otherwise
    reply and stfu.

I wasn't even playing Jeff.

7. TheWorstPlayer

Hmm come to think of it with all that flailing I don't even know what lions DM looks like. Special high? So it will hit some lows at a specific activation frame?

8. TheWorstPlayer

I see you played the guy this morning haha, actually funny thing is
    there was another Kage player that's style changed because of
    playing that guy. All I started seeing was DM p+k from both of
    them. It was the morning of DM p+k spam...followed by Knees /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Not like I've never dealt with it before but the fact that
    I just got back from a 2 week break, played Shun for the first
    time in a month, and just woke up didn't help matters.

9. Gernburgs

Gernburgs Well-Known Member

I encountered this Kage player too recently Sugar... Imagine that, all of the moves Kage has and you resort to spamming DM attack because you suck so bad. That's really, really, REALLY sad of them...

10. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    Sorry; I was under the impression everyone here has a grasp of the English language, or at least capable of spotting nuance.

Meh.

11. Sorias

Sorias Well-Known Member

When has the question of whether something is necessary ever stopped Sebo in the past? lol... I can see a train wreck coming on the horizon.

Anyway, on topic, I'll nominate Aoi's DM P+K as the worst in the game. It does knock down, so if the move you actually evaded was something basic like a low punch, and your opponent decides not to just block, you might get a combo. Against standing moves, it actually misses more often than it hits, regardless of what your opponent does, because the hitbox is so tiny;;

12. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
    It <s>goes</s> used to go under full circular mids for some frames too /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

13. Gernburgs

Gernburgs Well-Known Member

I does penis damage though. 20 damage for a guaranteed throw/punch combo punishment isn't worth it IMHO. People have smashed my 2p's with it repeatedly though so I'll give you that. I figured low reversal would have been safer and just as damaging, if not more...

14. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
    Full ciruclar mids? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

15. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
    I have saved a VF4evo replay where it goes under my vanessa's DS /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif.

To be fair this has yet to happen to me in VF5 so i'll modify my original post. I wouldn't be suprised if it's still possible though, the animation looks as flaky as always.

16. Chibitox

Chibitox Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

The goal of a DM attack is not to do damage, its not meant to attack in the first place, it's meant to beat attacks and throws in a situation where your opponent is likely to attack not guard so there's a small chance he'll block unless you become predictable.
    To me the more deceptive it is, the better imo.
    Low reversal only reverse...lows, DM P+K escapes all linear moves, half the semi circular can beat throws and even some high full circulars.

@ Sugarman: yep it can hit in the recovery of whiffed lows, a good place to try it is after a whiffed rising attack, nice damage.

17. _Denkai_

_Denkai_ Well-Known Member

Akria DM isn't all that good, its easily interrupted. I say the best DM is Vannesia's because she has the best of both worlds. The catch grab DM (wolf) and the quick mid kick DM. The catch grab DM can be ducked or escaped but think about it, a DM isn't designed for offensive purposes anyway (Unless you're one of those online noobs) so using a catch grab DM can get you out of tough spots (disadvantage -8 or below) without the fear that you'll be at -15 if blocked..even if the move is reversed nothing is guaranteed and you basically got out of jail free. The only way it can be punished is if its ducked (or if you're willing to take the risk throw before you get thrown) and even then the opponent will have to react fast. The catch throw DM is deadly in the hands of someone that doesn't abuse it the trick is not to become too predictable with this move.

18. Happy_Friend

Happy_Friend Well-Known Member

SugarMan shows off the charm.

Sebo gave you pretty good advice, though it is not totally satisfying.

Since you use Jeff, you could use his down throw. Hardly anybody escapes that. I would say do the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif Even online it works. I have taken to using Lau's /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif even though I know /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif is guaranteed. I have a harder time landing it online so I use the other one. Also, I have found that the same scrubs who abuse DMPK also block or evade after I land this move cuz they think I have advantage. I can throw or do half circular and tack on the damage.

I hate DMPK so I try not use it, even though I think it could increase my win %. Same goes with mad backdashing. For some reason I want to be the last honest man or something.

19. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

In truth to being the last honest man. You do know what happened in the end of I Am legend right?

20. TheWorstPlayer

I didn't know I needed charm. Does Sebo wear a bra and panties?
    Anyhow, my predicament is I tried to throw this guy playing
    kage after kages DM p+k but it pushed back. I was out of throw
    range. Now I haven't played shun in a long time and didn't really
    know what to do to hit him in this particular case.

I didn't get into specifics about what the problem was because
    I figured a general thread about particularly good DM's would
    be better. I know there's some general DM's that are a basic
    kick that give pluses and leave you standing.

I was interested on hearing which ones like Kages do something
    different: push back on block, crumple on croching opponents, and
    knock down on hit. I know it's on the wiki but i'd just rather
    look on one page than sifting back and forth between characters.

Like Lions special high DM that's safe on block answers a few questions for me already.

My problem is with the "it's on the wiki BS" wiki writers like
    to spout after every post. I'm sure if everyone checked out the
    wiki you wouldn't even need this DOJO just erase the damn thing
    altogether.