1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Do some characters suck at Kumite mode or is it just me?

Discussion in 'Quest, Kumite and Items' started by Chan415, Mar 29, 2002.

1. Chan415

Chan415 Active Member

With Pai, i'm 85 and 3
    With Jacky i'm 40 and 8
    With Lion i'm 30 and 8

Some characters just seem to suck at fighting against the cpu. I know it maybe my playing style, but i'm not sure..

I haven't tried other characters, and i know the vanessa trick, but is it just my skills, or is it just that some characters suck against cpu(unless you fight like cheese)?

2. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

the best vanessa player in the world can probably go 500-0 vs. the CPU...
    ditto the best lion
    ditto the best shun
    etc. etc.
    I think some characters are just easier to learn than the others, they can all toast the CPU when used correctly.

3. The Dude

The Dude Well-Known Member

I don't know man, I know I'm not that great w/ Lion. But, the AI in kumite makes it impossible to play mind games with it. My Lion is 3rd Dan and I already had to fight off a demotion. With Kage however (3rd Dan) I can go undeafeted more or less. And I'm far better w/ Lion.

4. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

My only suggestion is to try and find a pattern with Lion that the CPU falls for... I use stuff with Sarah that would never work vs. human comp. I would think there should be something that sets up Lion for a juicy KD combo reliably over and over again. You should also be able to do that double pounce thingy reliably, although I don't know the commands for it off the top of my head... You can do a lot of extra damage to a grounded CPU character that human competition would TR/QR away from.

5. Chan415

Chan415 Active Member

i dont wanna play cheesey.

But thanks, now that i know i'm not the only one.
    Oh well, screw kumite, i'll call some friends over...

6. Robyrt

Robyrt Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've noticed some rather odd stuff with the CPU... notably, it almost never techrolls Sarah's elbow-knee (even during combos), and it's a sucker for random DC shots (but not random knees or toekicks).

7. ken

ken Well-Known Member

Its impossible to lose vs the computer with Lei-Fei.

I'm on 454:0 with maybe 4 close calls.

Computer has a problem vs dodge attacks and good sabaki moves. It also struggles vs d+P.

8. Nemesis02

Nemesis02 Well-Known Member

454 wins..... are you serious? did u quit to aviod losses or are you just really good? Yeah, it seems like some chartcers are just easier to win with in Kumite mode... it's just the way you fight though. It's your strategy that makes it easier or harder, i don;t think it has to do with a "luck" advantage or anything. What i find is that when i'm see a 1st dan I can beat all those 3rd dans with ease and higher ranks are easier. But now that my wolf is 3rd dan, those 3rd dan opponents that were once easy have become really much harder. Has anyone noticed that?

9. ken

ken Well-Known Member

Well it took me around 4 sessions fo 100-150 win streaks. Which equates to around 3-4 hours per session.

As I said the computer eats Lei's 80-95% combo all the time. Its really efficient... Kumite mode is rather pointless. My main goal was to get Dural and maybe a few items here and there.

10. cooks94

cooks94 Well-Known Member

Vanessa has the best cheese if all you want to do is get items. The comps dont ever revers her d,p+k+g or d/f,p+k+g after a gaurded or unguarded back charge kick (b,b,k+g) and it can almost take away half there life. Cheesy.........

Sweet................

11. Typhoon

Typhoon Well-Known Member

At higher levels the CPU will, however, evade the kick, reverse the kick, or rush you and knock you out of it.
    Best to keep the CPU guessing with my other fav Vane cheeze vs. CPU: k+g guard crush tornado, f+pkk during stagger. Takes away as much life as a guarded bb+k+g low throw and the tornado can't be reversed (never seen it anyways.. EVER), but the 1 in 10 chance they do struggle against the stagger and block the f+pkk you'll most likely pay for it.

12. CrYingCHoCoBo

CrYingCHoCoBo Well-Known Member

i have noticed that the computer alternates its difficulty based on certain characters.

I believe that if you're playing an expert character, the ai will work you harder, than a beginner character...

i only say this, because after leveling up my kage, i started on Shun, and the computer was using very advanced tricks on my new shun, i was surprised.

13. Typhoon

Typhoon Well-Known Member

I've noticed, or more accurately FELT, this on several fighting genre games. I don't think it has anything to do with the recommended skill level of the VF4 character choice. I think it has to do with total playtime or some hidden but recorded value in the game. As you play more and more the game steps up a little bit at a time to keep you learning and alert. It's a small adjustment, but if you're completely new to the game you will see it.
    It may have something to do with a value saved into the system file. I have trained myself to save my VF4 system file before ending my play sessions. But my friend doesn't care about his records and since he uses default control and options, he has never saved his system file. He complains when he comes by to fight that my CPU AI is noticeably more agile than his, and I say the opposite when I play on his system.
    Usually works like this in arcades too where new machines are set to lower difficulty and gradually cranked up over time to keep faithful players challenged and interested.

14. CrYingCHoCoBo

i agree, as a matter of fact, when i first bought the game, i took it to my friends house, FIRST TIME PLAYING IT, brand new, i told my friend to practice, so, he picked pai, and went through the arcade mode, beat all the way up to akira, beat him, then lost to dural, i had heard from my other friend that akira was amazinly mean! and was expecting to get some laughs from the amazement of my friend when he saw Akira's style, but akira wasn't being as cheap as i thought he'd be.

my friend described him as, just pushing you around the room, with a series of HMPH! and HAR!''s...well, i wanted to see some aggression! i didn't get it, just a few occasional mean spurts...but nothing that held my masher pai friend back.

later, i beat the arcade mode with lei-fei being very cheap, and i rung out dural, using his constand punch attack.

couple of weeks later, after fighting in kumite, i went to play arcade, and couldn't get past akira, he was so fucking b*tchy!...so, i totally agree with computer ai difficulty based on time, and gameplay.

15. American_Pai

American_Pai Well-Known Member

I was wondering if the more you play the harder the CPU generally gets. Now that I'm a Stormlord with Vanessa and an Emperor with Aoi their CPU versions seem harder. CPU Vanessa uses the hcf+PG alot now and CPU Aoi reverses the shit out me sometimes (it's funny that these are moves I abuse against the CPU) so it might be true.

16. CrYingCHoCoBo

i wouldn't be surprised if the computer is noting all the things in the advice column, that you are bad with, and exploiting them when you get to higher levels, (to get better of course...for your own good =)

say ur bad at escaping throws or evade throw escapes, the comp might do excessive throws? i wouldn't put it past sega...