1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Do throws ever "eat" strikes?

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by agios_katastrof, May 15, 2002.

1. agios_katastrof

agios_katastrof Well-Known Member

Do throws ever "eat" strikes?

Yes, yet another uber newbie question.

I'm a recent transition from the 2D world, where throws will eat strikes, if 1) the throw is done before the hitting animation of the strike, or if 2) the strike whiffs within the throw range.

From my meager observations, this does not happen in VF4. Yes? No?

Thx.

2. solfizz

solfizz Well-Known Member

What i know is:

For the most part, throws pull off usually only when the opponent stands idle (i.e. idle or after a guaranteed throw move). However, i've seen few instances where a grab will actually cut off the mid-frames of a striking attack and continue with a successful throw. I'm not sure how it was done considering the throws were all "normal," not those catch-throws(Akira-like pull-in throws)

3. Robyrt

Robyrt Well-Known Member

Normal throws (the 8-frame ones) will interrupt only a few specific attacks, like Akira's bodycheck or Sarah's flamingo backflip. For 99.9% of moves, though, your throw will lose. Catch throws, on the other hand (like Akira's pull-in throw or Sarah's uf+P+G running throw) will go through attacks, but start so slow they can be ducked on reaction.

4. DLC

DLC Member

so a throw will always be interrupted by an attack (except the ones you listed)? Even one with long execution times (say 18+ frames)?

DLC

5. Sausage Man

Sausage Man Active Member

Yes, even the 18+ frame ones.

6. Blondie

Blondie Well-Known Member

Wow, it was my understanding that if an attack was executed at any point your throw frames were being executed the attack would MC hit, interrupting the throw. Which moves can be interrupted by throw again? Are there more than you listed? I think lion has an attack that can be interrupted by a throw. I think? =) anyone?

7. agios_katastrof

agios_katastrof Well-Known Member

Much thx again, guys. So catch throws can interrupt strikes, but normals throws cannot, with the exception of a few strikes. Clueless newbies like myself don't know stuff like this. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif