1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Do you always know what stance you are in?

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Guest, Jul 29, 2001.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

When I first began playing this game I could never figure out why seemingly randomly throws and other moves became more difficult to connect upon an opponent as well as less effective. Now that I'm aware of the inclusion of stance changes in the VF engine I was wondering if you are always aware of the stance your characters are presently in?

THX.

:)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by VFScrub on 07/29/01 07:22 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

generally elbow reliant characters should pay much attention to what stance they're in. elbows have better range in open stance. some knee combos only (or at least usually) work in open stance, as well as jacky's P+K,P,ub+K combo.

otherwise i don't really pay too much attention to it. at least not in vf3.

3. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

You should always pay attention to the opponent's stance, but I only keep track of my own when playing Jacky and sometimes with Kage.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Ice 9,

Apparently I still don't understand the fundamentals of stance since your comments have left me somewhat confused. I was under the impression that stance takes into account the position of both characters at once, e.g.:

<Open Stance>
    **p1************p2*
    ****p1************p2*

<Closed Stance>
    **p1************p2*
    *****p1******p2*****

Is stance dependent only upon your own character's current foot position? And why pay attention to the opponent's stance only?

THX

:eek:)

5. Kruza

Kruza Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Kruza
    Hey VFS,

I just wanted to let you know that you have labeled your diagrams wrong. Your top diagram illustrates closed stance and your bottom one illustrates open stance.

Kruza

6. Daniel Thomas

Daniel Thomas Well-Known Member

Don't forget that foot stance isn't just for executing throws and combos. Roundhouse kicks will move in a different direction (clockwise/counter-clockwise), depending on which foot is forward. That's important to know when playing for position on the field and knocking an opponent out of the ring.

-----
    "One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How the elephant got in my pajamas, I don't know."
    -- Groucho Marx

7. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

Jeff, I see what you're saying but I think it may be confusing to some...

Your opponent and yourself are always in the same stance, as stance is dependent on both players. So, checking your opponent's stance is the same as checking your own. What I think Jeff was getting at was that during a match he should watch stances and how that could affect your opponent's gameplay.

It takes two to stance. /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

cheers,

<font color=white>Llanfair</font color=white>
    <font color=orange>Booyah daddy mac! I'm stylin!</font color=orange>

8. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

VFScrub, what I meant is whether or not the opponent's front is facing in or out of the screen. This determines the direction of your dodge against certain moves. You should always keep track of this.

The stances you refer to, / / and / \, is something I only keep track of when playing Jacky and sometimes Kage.

9. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

> / / and / \

or in english, and in long held vf jargon - closed and open stance, respectively.

10. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Just to clarify, you always keep track of whether your opponent is / or \. I only keep track of when I am / or \ when playing with Jacky or Kage.

And I guess Lau would be a good character to keep track of that as well.