1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Do you remember the beggining VF days???

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Maximus, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Maximus

Maximus Well-Known Member

I just made this post for curiosity's sake. I want to hear what it was like for people when they first began VF. I remember my noobie days. I used to suck majorly. I couldn't even do and ABC or a DLC right. And incorporating that Dblplm was so frustrating *smiling*. Plus SPoD was difficult too. So what about you guys, what were your noobie VF days like???

2. RandomHajile

RandomHajile Well-Known Member

pressing Punch over 3 times before pressing kick, so the pppk wouldnt come out!

3. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    I looked at VF and thought "Too wierd. I'll stick to SF2."

Then VF2 came out.

4. Yuki-sensei

Yuki-sensei Well-Known Member

oh man.. VF 1. i was in JHS when VF 1 came out. stayed at the arcade the whole trying to come to terms with the gameplay. of course, Picked Akira first since he was like the ryu of VF..

5. kungfusmurf

kungfusmurf Well-Known Member

All that time playing VF using Akira I was wondering where's the dragon punch.

6. Maximus

I have another noobie story. This one is about my friend though. When he started to play VF he used Vannessa and all he would do was her pppk combo all the time throughout the entire match. Man it was so funny 'cause I would just keep reversing his p and he still kept doing the same thing. Then of course I felt bad for beating up on a noob and so I taught him the basics of VF.

7. maddy

maddy Well-Known Member

I picked up VF4 from a local Blockbuster. I was a very casual VF2 player back in the day while I used to play KOF and Tekken2 seriosly, but somehow I happened to spot a copy of VF4 when I was wondering around the Blockbuster.

I started playing VF4 on a pad. I remember the Kumite being very fun and interesting. Ranking up to play against better CPU was my goal, and it was hard to stop playing it.

5 days went by really quickly, and I rented it again.

I picked Akira as my first character and I rememer practicing DLC on the pad for hours and hours, days and days to get it down. I recall It being hard but rewarding when I finally got Akira's moves down.

The monotonous but serious training that I was doing at the beginning of my VF career really set the tone in my style of training down the road. I was somehow self motivated from the beginning without nobody around, and the diffciutlies of Akira's moves came to me as a motivation and challenge rather than frustration.

My self training against Kumite opponent came to an end when I found out about this website, VFDC. It was about 5 months after I picked up the copy of VF from the store. I got to rent it one more time after second rental got expired, and after that I bought the game.

I was really lucky to find the post made by one of the Columbus crew and contacted him immidiately(Dandy_J).

That's how I got started, and it really feels like it's forever ago for some reason when I look back nowadays.

8. MADrox

MADrox Well-Known Member

VF1., studying how fast i can do PPPK with pai,,
    then thought i was a king wiht jacky with ppkk,
    then i get my butt handed to me by someone who figured out a jeffry p+g .. he'd wait then throw me.

I was hooked since then.

in VF2, i fell in love wiht "ehh" from lion during his pounce. My cooles moment - doing a crouch dodge during a a jeffry f+k, and a then throwing him. thought i was king of the world.

VF3 - taka taka taka,, just loved everything about him.

Now , i'm lonely wiht out him.. /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif

butt-stino

9. Siyko

Siyko Well-Known Member

My friend had bought VF:Evo during the summer because it was so cheap, and we were both addicted to fighting games at the time (mainly MVC). We played for a few days, and I could only beat him with lion's 2kk, as we both made fun of how riduculous lion is. I really wanted to learn more about the game, so when I got to school, I bought a used ps2 off a friend pretty much for the sole purpouse of VF... but they were out of stock, so I bought sc2 instead and thought 'just as good'

3 days later, I bought VF off ebay. and haven't touched sc2 since. I played casually for about a week until I went on #vfhome and talked to Jerky and Shangster, and they hooked up a date to get together and play. My strategy was mostly K K, 8p and it didn't work so well. During the car rides, I was amazed at how complicated the game seemed as they talked about frames and whatnot, so I started reading about it, and kept playing with Shang regularly throughout the year.

10. Maximus

Up until you handed my butt with Jeffry I thought I was pretty damn good against all characters. Man to tell you the truth I have never played a good Jeffry character like you. After that event I went on VFDC and started looking for strategies against Jeffry and spent some more time on training. But, getting back on topic, my most difficult task in VF was doing Akira's DLC. It was hard as hell to do it with the controller let alone with pad. So I just kept on practicing because I just wanted to get it right. Now I can do nearly all of Akira's combos even on controller, especially yoho, p, shoulder, dblplm.

----I got a question though. Is it possible to do yoho, p, shoulder, [2_][6][P][P] on lightweights on C hit????----

11. GranNaniwa

GranNaniwa New Member

Heh, my first VF experience:

I remember walking up to a VF1 machine at my local arcade, being impressed with the then-revolutionary 3-D graphics, plunking in a quarter, choosing Wolf because I thought he looked cool, then walking away disgusted because none of my SF-style QCF+P commands were doing anything. n00bism defined.

12. agios_katastrof

agios_katastrof Well-Known Member

Saw VF1 in the heydays of SF. My first thought was like,
    "man... look at those polygons float...", and went back to playing shotos/guile/gief.

Then Lion and Shun came out, and I was like, man, that's purty cool... but I went back to playing shotos/guile/gief.

VF3 was purty... but I thought Tekken was prettier.

then the arcades all died.

years later, i by chance noticed Aoi on VF4, and my eyes lit up, 'cause I practiced aki-j back in the days, and have never actually seen a game character doing it. i immediately picked up the copy...

13. Darrius_Cole

Darrius_Cole Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Darrius-Cole
    XBL:
    Darrius Cole HD
    My oldest friend's girl bought him a PS2 (when they were still $300 US) and VF. He, I, and his nephew would spend days at his house mashing buttons without a clue of what we were doing. I discovered one move, [6][K][K] and began to beat them regularly. I was excited at this, because they handed my butt to me all the time in SF, Tekken, MK, and any other fighter.

I liked winning, so I bought the game myself, went through the command training and was blown away. I not anticipated the complexity of the game, the depth of the movelists, or the existence of defense options other than guard. (Compared to you guys I am still new, and am still discovering major aspects of the game, such as counting frame rates, which i discovered only a few months ago.) After a week of ownership I beat my friend and his nephew badly. Now, they won't play me at all.

14. Dandy_J

Dandy_J Well-Known Member

Day 1 VF4 combo with Lion:

[4][6]+[K]+[G][2]+[K], BT [2]+[P], pounce.

Yes, we were super-scrubs, so that was all guaranteed.

15. Robio_kun

Robio_kun Well-Known Member

Saw vf1 when it first came out and was blown away. Only ever played 1 or 2 games though because the nearest machine was in Melbourne. When VF2 cam out on saturn I bought it and never looked back. Oh, except for vf3 where I played it a bit at the arcade and was disappointed at how bad the AI was, so I stopped. Then came VF4 and PS2..... yay /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif