1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Do you spend a lot of time in Dojo?

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by HokutoNoCat, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Virooster

Virooster Active Member

I train in the Dojo everytime before I go onlne. It keeps the movements in my fingers fresh in my head.

2. seven5suited

seven5suited Well-Known Member

When I see something I like and I want to copy it, I stay in dojo until I can do it. I use it to copy better players' combos/patterns. (lately I just haven't had the time) Maybe only 2 or 3 sessions per month...

3. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

They probably are just as effective but be a little careful. I only say this because sometimes there are TR set ups that are possible on the lesser combos that aren't possible when using the harder/higher dmg combo just because of where you are in relation to your opponent and when your opponent hits the ground. For example eileen's CH6P+K > 236KKK gives me enough time from when I finish my last hit to move myself anywhere I want way before you've hit the ground and even lets me set up for a OMP if I see you TR on the ground, while CH 2_3P+K > 236KKK doesn't give me any time at all to maneuver before you're able to TR or hit the ground so I'm stuck right where I am.

Not saying it's not a bad idea just something to keep in mind.

I too like to do this. A lot of my set ups came from playing other good eileen's like sweep and freeja. Haven't seen them in a while tho, I know sweep has some sweet new tricks he always does.

4. HokutoNoCat

HokutoNoCat Well-Known Member

Actually I find myself spending time in dojo and enjoying it (lol? I'm going nutz)
    I fail with most Akira hard combos but I find it incredibly rewarding when I master a new move/juggle. I try to do the hard stuff in player matches so I win less often but it trains me to get the combos in fight situation.

5. TheWorstPlayer

TheWorstPlayer Well-Known Member

My dojo is VS. Me I generally play someone until I can figure them
    out or their juggle of choice if it's my character. I literally
    got the game and went to VS right off the bat. Rank matches no
    less.

6. HokutoNoCat

HokutoNoCat Well-Known Member

I started like that as well when I played Brad/Shun/Lau. Brad and Shun have very easy combos on crumple (respectively /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif for brad and /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif for shun). Lau had some easy combos too for a noob, you just have to use the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif to juggle or after the first mashing level it was /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b_.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif. Ofc maximum combos for this chars are hard as well, I'm speaking of noob juggles.
    For Akira it would have been just plein impossible. If I had'nt played in dojo I could'nt do a single decent combo nor use some of his very effective moves. And it's just the beginning since I fail most of my DLC's and buffered doublepalm, and I just can't train that ONLY in versus. Maybe I've got shitty natural stick skills too /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

7. DaBadSeed

DaBadSeed Well-Known Member

i should but i dont really soon az i get on i just wanna fight /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

8. Dive2Blue

Dive2Blue Well-Known Member

I prefer staying at the dojo than having my ass kick in versus mode. In this old saying, practice makes perfect, yet I do not consider myself perfect in some moves and techniques.[/size]

9. VFnumbers

VFnumbers Well-Known Member Content Manager Lei

PSN:
    VFnumbers
    XBL:
    VFnumbers
    i would go to dojo and practice the basic fundamentals of the game and then watch replays(i only save my losing matches) and practice removing my bad habits

10. Gmoney

Gmoney Active Member

Man Dojo mode for me is a punishment I'll initially go to dojo to train ONLY DIFFICULT Moves and throws I do the same thing by practicing it on both sides so It comes naturally then I'll set the cpu to level 3 or 4 to see if I can pull off the moves while fighting I even practice setups and follow-ups. then I got to quest and fight maybe 30 matches in the hardest arcade to further practice my moves against a variety of fighters and styles. After that I'll probably watch VFTV to see how others use the moves and finally when I think I'm ready I'll try my luck online. I've done this for GOH, LAU, Akira, pai, and i'm just now starting to try AOI. I've given up on akira and pai. I also use dojo mode to train hard right before a local tourney or if I'm disapointed with my defence online I'll go to dojo put the cpu on 5 and see how long I can evade, block and counter NO ATTACKS. I love my defence!!! so yea dojo is my foundation. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbs_up.gif

11. Gernburgs

Gernburgs Well-Known Member

This sounds like a cool training tactic. It's super shaolin style! You just defend yourself against all attacks without striking back.

Your <span style='font-size: 11pt'>chi</span> <span style='font-size: 14pt'>power</span> is <span style='font-size: 17pt'>growing!!!</span>

12. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    I wish I could say that I train like a horse, but nothing would be further from the truth. Im actually pretty lazy when it comes to training. Propably because the things that I really need to train would need a sparring partner and I dont have one usually. Due to this, I think consistency is one of my weakest points. Not move-performing consistency (13 years of play does something to that already), but keeping my play at sufficiently high level all the time.

Personally I tend to warmup and train doing combos and stuff in quest. Its always a different thing pulling off something in a real fight than on a stuffy doll dojo opponent. Even if quest may give you certain bad habits, its useful training also if you know what you want to do and stick to it. CPU can make it hard.

I usually go to dojo only if somebody says something here in the forums and I need to check it out heh.

13. EndCA

EndCA Well-Known Member

Thats a good philosophy problem is not knowing how to approach improving on your mistakes or knowing what they are for me.

14. Marlo_Lurosci

Marlo_Lurosci Active Member

With Lei Fei, I feel I need to be creative on the spot. I like playing people and should really practice in Dojo, but I don't. I need to find that fine line of quickly reacting and executing exactly what I have in mind to do. I pull off only %95 of I want to do in a match.

15. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

Thats what i did to battle lei fei. Learning his delays after stance changing.

16. RawEmpire

RawEmpire Well-Known Member

I just started going to the dojo. Very hard work indeed. Practicing El Blaze setups on hardest difficulty aka mind reading cpu lol. But the more bruises you get inside the dojo, the less you get outside.

17. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

If I find out something new i'll go in to check it out but I don't practice much in there. I prefer to practice my combos in matches, even though that can be difficult online.

18. TSF

TSF Active Member

I spend a lot of time in Dojo practicing basic stuff and combos even if I have no problem doing them. better safe than sorry.

19. VFnumbers

VFnumbers Well-Known Member Content Manager Lei

PSN:
    VFnumbers
    XBL:
    VFnumbers
    i also practice alot on my oki with lei and trying to mix up stances.watching foot position and trying to learn other character half circulars and let cpu dodge front or back it is another type of training i do. it help me prepare for different situations.

20. TheWorstPlayer

TheWorstPlayer Well-Known Member

I almost never practice in the dojo, but I've started practicing some pointless stuff like the buzzsaw kick and choke throw slam with Jeff just because I think they look cool.