1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Do you use Pad or Stick for FS?

Discussion in 'Joysticks and Other Controllers' started by Someone, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Someone

Someone Active Member

What controller do you use/prefier? And why?

Please no dissing of any player of each controller.

Pad for me.

(Mods, If a thread like this already exist, please delete/lock this topic)

2. jijilip

jijilip Active Member

stick of course.

3. Genesis

Genesis Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Genesis Malakh
    This is always an interesting subject for me, because on the whole, I prefer pads.

I'm a console gamer through and through. As much as I loved the arcade experience, my first experience with Street Fighter was on SNES, so I never associated fighting games with a special, arcade-style controller until much later.

Over time, I've found that I still prefer the gamepad for 2D fighters. Virtua Fighter is my notable exception (both in preference and first experience - that is, I first played Virtua Fighter 2 in arcade form). Even when I got more heavily into VF with Evolution and regular 5, I played with a pad, though that was mostly related to the financial concerns of buying a $200 controller. Stick play, I guess you could say, is Virtua Fighter in its purest form. It's what the game is crafted around, so I had a strong desire to get one for VF.

Once I felt Final Showdown at Final Round, though, I knew I'd have to make a hard switch for the game's release. It takes some getting used to, but there's a definite advantage to physically combining the three buttons, rather than having shoulder shortcuts. That's how I feel, at least. I haven't noticed any major changes to my game, but I do seem to be winning a bit more often. Then again, my roommates hardly touch the dojo or anymode outside of offline versus.

4. ken81

ken81 Member

I am trying so hard to use the stick but it's a real pain. After years of swearing I feel I've reached almost 70% of my pad skill, but it's so much fun to use the stick and slam those buttons that I can't go back to pad.
    And as a side note I think that akira knee it's a lot easier with the stick, while other movements like vanilla vf5 Dragon lance are a lot easier with the pad.

5. rattlejaw

rattlejaw Active Member

Stick. I'm completely incapable of playing fighting games on a pad.

6. Mister

Mister Well-Known Member Content Manager Wolf Content Manager Sarah Content Manager Aoi

Stick for virtua fighter and soul calibur
    pad for tekken

both for dead or alive 4 (waiting the 5 to see how well i'll get with the game's system).

7. MegaMaN85

MegaMaN85 Well-Known Member

Stick. just feels natural to me.

8. Krafty Matt

Krafty Matt Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Matt_K
    XBL:
    KraftyMattKraft
    Stick.

I have used a stick since I was a kid. NES Advantage, SNES Fight Stick, etc etc. I only started using a pad to play games when I was forced to via dual analog.

9. wingchun_warrior

wingchun_warrior Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

u can do things with a stick that u cant do as frequent on a pad so fighting games are meant for sticks

10. Madone

Madone Well-Known Member

If the opponent uses a pad, just go for staggers and follow up with non-guaranteed combos over and over. Even if they can struggle it once or twice, as long as you always go for staggers when you are aggressive they are going to get tired fast.

I have to say, though, FS is the most pad friendly of all the VFs.

11. Mlai

Mlai Well-Known Member

For SF/KoF I always used a stick, due to the ubiquity of circular motions and the fact that I need easy access to 6 buttons. Shoulder buttons are a pain to use for normal attacks.

For 3D games, I used to always use a pad, so that I could use shortcuts on the shoulder buttons, and also because inputs are mostly directional.

However, starting with FS I'm using my stick now, and I'm starting to realize how much more natural it feels to physically combine PKG rather than use the other buttons as shortcuts. By doing it myself, my buttons hand never has to move, and my 1st 3 fingers are in contact with PKG at all times. Trying to use shortcut buttons on a joystick dashboard where the buttons are more spread out, was really slowing down my execution.

12. Lygophilia

Lygophilia Well-Known Member

It can be either, but with more of a preference of an arcade stick, because for me, it's durable, so I wouldn't have to replace a controller. My pressure on buttons from a controller seems to shorten the controller functionally response, unfortunately.

13. Manjoume

Manjoume Well-Known Member

On console from VF, Fighting Vipers, VF3 (Never had two for Saturn), VF4 EVO (PS2), and VF5/Online (a few years ago) I was pad.

When MVC3 was coming out (I do mean Vanilla, not that there's much of a time difference), I bought an arcade stick to play it with. Though, mixing learning stick and learning Marvel don't mix well. Then MK came out and I went pad there too (and even hacked PSP as a controller too). Anyway, then I played VF2 on my computer (arcade emulation. When FS was announced I set forth to utilize my stick more since when I'd occasionally play other VF games on stick it was fun. I also got VF4 EVO on PSN for the tutorial that I could play through with my Arcade stick (couldn't with my PS2 copy). Skullgirls on stick. FS on stick.

Note: I have basic combos down on UMVC3 and play stick. For SF games, I go stick if one's available but don't know much combo wise or really anything about it other than what I've seen on streams.

14. PointOfStatic

PointOfStatic Member

Pad, for me.
    It's mainly due to the fact that I grew up playing all games that way. The first console and game I ever had was a Sega Saturn with VF2, and, the Saturn came with a regular controller. So, I played VF2 and eventually VF with the controller, and yeah, that's how I've always played. It's just kind of, embedded into my head now. I can't really play any other way. I grew up with it.

I've tried transitioning to the Stick several times, but I just can't seem to get it, no matter how hard I try.

I respectfully disagree with this.
    Most of the time I can struggle out of a stagger situation three or four times in a match without getting tired. I suppose I'm just really used to it.

15. Daydream

Daydream Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Daydream CE
    Stick all the way. Started with 2D fighters and improved a lot when I switched to using a stick. Now with VF it still feels more natural. I rarely even use my ordinary controllers anymore.

16. nanashi

nanashi Active Member

Off topic, but VF4 EVO is on PSN??

So for FS and practically only FS I use stick. Even when like DOA5 comes out, or I go back to my club next semester and I'll get to play games like SCV or MK9 it'll all be on pad just because I won't be taking those games as seriously as I do virtua fighter (whatever I learn there will be for curiosity).

But I didn't play stick from the get go. When I used to play VF2 on the saturn/genesis I didn't even know what stick was. Same for VF5 vanilla, though I mashed through that game partially because PS3 had no online support in America. But then PAX East came around and SEGA had the full FS set up there, it was sick. At first we had to use 360 controllers, but then they brought out the sticks, and there was no choice we had to use them. I had no idea what I was doing because my experience with the stick was limited, but it felt smooth as hell. Later at our hotel room we were doing casuals VF5Vanilla and playing pad just felt so weak. So I decided to make the switch to stick for this game, and haven't gone back to pad since. I actually feel that going back would be impossible because stick is so much more comfortable to me.

17. hidden_bottle

hidden_bottle Member

i just bought a hori real arcade pro v3-sa.... honestly i fell inlove with it..but hard to get used to, oh well i guess ill just hafto practice more. btw love the sanwa parts its like butter on my fingers.

18. Adz

Adz New Member

Stick.

Got 3 semitsu set ups, 1 sanwa and 1 hori

Here's my custom build semitsu from shadoloo.eu

shadoloo.eu

I'm using a wireless custom built darkstalkers wooden case semitsu stick for ps3 and a sanwa custom build for 360 (the sanwa is in a TvC stick case, works on wii, 360, ps3 and pc)

I love collecting sticks and intend to get more! lol

19. hidden_bottle

hidden_bottle Member

20. capt_catalina

capt_catalina Well-Known Member

PSN:
    capt_catalina
    I've been playing VF on both a PS1 DualShock w/ inPin converter, as well as my WWE BrawlStick (still gotta change that hideous artwork). Personally I prefer the stick as it gives me more flexability for movement. The other reason was that I have been hard on my controllers in general (wore 5 NES pads down flat playing MegaMan over the course of 2 years), and the arcade controls are more durable for my claw grip hands.
    With the pad I tend to use triangle for [G], R1 for [P], R2 for [K] to have all my buttons where I'd expect them on a stick. While I don't prefer shortcuts, I would map [P][+][K] on circle, [K][+][G] on X, and [P][+][G] on Square, where pressing triangle and circle would handle the [P][+][K][+][G] requirement for ukemi.
    While DualShock is a good general use pad, I would like to play a good fighter on a Wii Classic Controller. The gaps between the directions on the PS pad tend to give my left thumb a thrashing when performing 360 commands, where Nintendo's is very smooth. Mayflash does make some excellent converters for PC/PS3, so it would make for a good experience.
    Sega pads have been awesome to play with, but Microsoft's old-school Sidewinder pads were bomb back in the day.[​IMG]