1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

doa3 question`

Discussion in 'General' started by Shadowdean, Nov 14, 2001.

1. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

For people who have played:
    can you grab the opponent while they are crumpling or stunned?
    Can you reverse throws?
    How effective is side-stepping (please only answer if you know what the hell your doing)

2. Shou

Shou Well-Known Member

Re: doa3 question

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

can you grab the opponent while they are crumpling or stunned?
    Can you reverse throws?
    How effective is side-stepping (please only answer if you know what the hell your doing)

<hr></blockquote>

I haven't got my XBOX yet but I did read through the DOA3 manual.

Stunned opponents can only be thrown if they cancel into a counter.

Just like all of the DOA2s, you can still only break normal throws that is if you believe Tecmo's literature. ;)
    I asked Itagaki about command throw breaks at E3 and he told me that it wouldn't be included (because it's too difficult for general users, wtf?!) so I think it's safe to assume that they aren't in there.

If you look at most of the DOA3 movies that have been released, no one ever free steps until after the opponent is downed so that leads me to believe that it's worthless again.

3. Shou

Shou Well-Known Member

Just got my XBOX and played a bit of DOA3....I knew I'd be disappointed but this is pretty bad. They simplified the already basic counter systerm. Now, there's no way to go back to arcade counters (1/4), it's stuck at 1/3 and they lost the straight up & backward jumping attacks. Anyone else have constructive criticism?

4. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

Well...the graphics are nice aren't they? And the arenas are kinda cool I guess. I've only played it for like 20 minutes thus far, probably I'll write more impressions later.

So there's no arcade counters? So we are stuck with newbie friendly b+F counters? Man that sucks. I noticed in the options screen there is no way to change this, so I guess you're right.

P.S. Damn I really don't like the MS controller for DOA.

5. Shou

Shou Well-Known Member

Well...the graphics are nice aren't they?

<hr></blockquote>

They are quite good but they should be since it doesn't seem like Team NINJA spent much time anywhere else.

P.S. Damn I really don't like the MS controller for DOA.

<hr></blockquote>

Yeah, it sucks. That's why I hacked it and I now have a Hori joystick for my XBOX. ;)

6. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

How would you compare DOA3's graphics to VF4's Shou-sama?

7. Shou

Shou Well-Known Member

How would you compare DOA3's graphics to VF4's Shou-sama?

<hr></blockquote>

The models are very good but the background textures such as the floor aren't up to VF4's level. I forget the technical term for it at the moment, but the effect is similar to how the DC renders textures. Parts that are closer to the user are fully rendered while things in the distance aren't rendered with full detail. That's the one blatant thing I've noticed so far. Also, the hair for both VF4 and DOA3's polygon models are generally really good but there are some cases where they look funky. I'd say DOA3 is almost on VF4's graphics level but not quite there.

8. Shadowdean

I'd have to disagree...graphically, DOA3 shits over everything else out there....graphically...

9. Shou

Shou Well-Known Member

I thought I read somewhere that you could recover from an initial wall stun. Anyone know how to do this or if it's possible?

10. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

josh, have you seen vf4 in person? or are you just comparing from internet videos?

11. Cause

Cause Well-Known Member

Also

Don't you have to take into account that "most" of the VF4 machine are on an arcade monitor and DOA3 is mostly seen on normal TV's have you seen DOA3 on a DECENT monitor or HDTV, the effect is supposed to be even more stunning.

12. Shou

Shou Well-Known Member

Re: Also

Don't you have to take into account that "most" of the VF4 machine are on an arcade monitor and DOA3 is mostly seen on normal TV's have you seen DOA3 on a DECENT monitor or HDTV, the effect is supposed to be even more stunning.

<hr></blockquote>

I had VF4 running via VGA on my HDTV and I do play DOA3 via component (480i) on the same monitor.

13. Shadowdean

Internet pictures...I've yet to see either..but in high res pictures...DOA3, graphically, shits on vf.

14. Shadowdean

Are there quick rises in doa3?

15. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

I'm gonna move the DoA discussion here...you said there are different types of reversals, I didn't know about that, even in DoA2. Know of a good place to look this stuff up?

16. Shou

Shou Well-Known Member

Are there quick rises in doa3?

<hr></blockquote>

Yes, hit free + up or down right before hitting the ground to recover early.

you said there are different types of reversals, I didn't know about that, even in DoA2. Know of a good place to look this stuff up?

<hr></blockquote>

Well, the counters really aren't all that different, they just take varying amounts of damage off of the opponent depending on your timing. I don't know of any good places for DOA3 info. Tecmo USA's site is certainly worthless.

17. Cause

Cause Well-Known Member

Re: Also

I'm pretty sure you can run it far higher than 480i, even up to 1200 I think, you have to set it that way on your TV and in DOA3 options. I may be wrong though

18. Cause

Cause Well-Known Member

That's wierd cause no movie I've seen yet has any quick rises, I've seen a VF3 level of pounces and ground throw/pick up's. Are the quick rises much harder to do? Are there side throws at all?

19. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

i played doa3 at the xbox unleashed in new york, and the gameplay was just like doa2 with a few new stuff (VERY FEW). quick rises are still there, movement was very similar to vf4 hahah, (hold up to move up, hold down to move down, tap U+guard to QR out of screen, D+guard to QR into the screen). there are only 2 people who can do the arcade reversals, bayman and lei-fang, they can also do their regular reversal methods but when they use the arcade reversals they take around 25% more energy from the opponent and with new animations! this is one strange thing, dunno what was the porpose of this (unfinished product?). there are also no side throws.

20. Shadowdean

Just a note, VF4's system of movement is now very similar to namco's from tekken and soul-calibur......so I wouldn't make a huge point of out that.