1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

DOA3, Soul Calibur 2

Discussion in 'General' started by ice-9, Aug 23, 2001.

1. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

I'm fast losing respect for Itagaki. He's so full of shit! Check out this interview: http://xbox.ign.com/news/37612.html

However, the pics released for DOA3 so far look FRICKIN good. I mean, Jeesus, they are delectable good. They're my kind of graphics...clean and high resolution. How these pics translate into realtime graphics only time will tell. Check them out over at GameSpot.

Anyone seen the three pics for SC2? God, they look extremely disappointing. I know, it's early, but Namco released these pics. They must be at least representative of the final product, barring major Zelda-like stylistic changes. The visual style of the sequel is a huge departure from the original SC...and NOT for the better. You can find the pics over at IGN.

2. Drunken_Master

Drunken_Master Well-Known Member

i think the graphics look great but not that i care as i think soul cailber is masher freindly

'Strong body but a weak mind' Sam Seed from Drunken Masters

3. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

Most games are masher friendly that is no reason not to play them.

Under the surface of the most jaded cynic lies a dissappointed idealist- George Carlin

4. Drunken_Master

i bought the game and played it for weeks it sucks

5. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

Why didn't you like it. I thought it was quite good not VF good but pretty high up there.

Under the surface of the most jaded cynic lies a dissappointed idealist- George Carlin

6. Drunken_Master

to masher freindly i would spend hours in the training mode and still get beat by aq newbie button masher. i didnt like the fighter stlyes as well

7. Daniel Thomas

Daniel Thomas Well-Known Member

I thought Soul Calibur found a good balance between button-mashing and thoughtful skill. I think, for the most part, a player who is more skilled in the game will defeat anyone who mindlessly chugs buttons. If you take advantage of the parries, you can wipe out the scrubs pretty easy.

-----
    "One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How the elephant got in my pajamas, I don't know."
    -- Groucho Marx

8. Daniel Thomas

DOA 3 certainly looks fabulous right now, but the big question remains: how much of this is in-game? I also hope that the developers spend as much time working on the gameplay as on the graphics. It's likely to be little more than a prettier DOA2, seeing as how it's a first-generation title, but I still want to see some new ideas put forth.

I don't know what to think about the Soul Calibur 2 footage yet. It looks great, no doubt about that. But it hardly looks any better than the Dreamcast version. Hell, I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that this game this could be done on the DC just as well. Other than changing the playing envoronments from VF-style rings to the more Tekken 4-style areas (boo), it looks like the same game.

Who knows what Namco's got cookin'. I loved SC, so I'm hoping that the sequel isn't just a quick cash-in.

-----
    "One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How the elephant got in my pajamas, I don't know."
    -- Groucho Marx

9. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

I think, for the most part, a player who is more skilled in the game will defeat anyone who mindlessly chugs buttons.

You're right. Soul Calibur is really a nice game. It has a lot more going for it than what you'd find in a few weeks. It has stances, ranged attacks, hit throws, soul charge g-cancels, throws that interrupt slow executing attacks, 3D movement (a little too much, but that's up to the individual's playing style), yomi, ground throws, and others I'm probably forgetting to mention.
    Drunken_Master, you should keep exploring this game. It is a LOT more than simple button mashing.
    Or better yet, check out guardimpact.com, and d/l a couple of the Srayer/WCMaxi movies.

Just my two cents worth...

<font color=white>Ghost</font color=white><font color=red>DOG</font color=red>

10. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

apart from VF and 3rd strike...SC is also fighting game that I am willing to invest time in it.

8WR buffer, parry...etc etc...

and the best, it's not enitre button masher friendly! It looks masher friendly because it's a weapon based game. Of coz those normal moves have to look flashy as well...but beneath it, lies a very damn deep fun game, albeit kinda cheapo sometimes/versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

It's a good game...and Unless the home port of VF4 proves us wrong..I am convinced there will never be a home port of a arcade game that will be done as well as SC.

It is just a perfect port! Everytime I use Maxi,sieg, Taki or Klik...the word ' fun' pops into my head. U feel every bone crunching...ass kicking move...

It is, a labor of love!

<font color=red>~~~ 'back off feather brain, or u can stick around and find out the hard way!/versus/images/icons/mad.gif~~~'

11. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

Soul Calibur has my complete respect. being bested only by VF and SF3rd strike. Siegfried is the greatest character in the world behind Sarah Bryant and Sean.

Im not surprised by the quallity of the SC2 pics. Namco have adopted the "multi platform" path of thought for there games. No matter how compliant each House is (Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft) you'll never get the same caliber of game unless you concentrate all your efforts on one system. SC on the DC is the ultimate example. Only Shenmue at its very best produced the type of visual quallity that SC churned out in each match. Namco pulled out all the stops and it showed. I just hope Namco don't do a "Temco" on us as I like to say, where they release each version just a tiny bit better than the last slapping the older version owners in the face. Example, all the DOA2' ports from DC to PS2 and back again. Barstads.

12. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

Listen to this:

IGN Xbox: What advantage has the Xbox given you that no other console has given you?

Tomonobu Itagaki: The contents of DoA 3 could only be accomplished by the power of the Xbox. This isn't the reason for the exclusivity, but the Xbox has the power to achieve Dead or Alive 3. DoA 2 had taken advantage of the full power of the PS2. When you see other fighting games launched for the PS2, you'll understand the quality. After DoA 2, we had to create a truly new version, DoA 3, and we needed that kind of power. And that's the only reason.

I'm not interested in how powerful he thinks Xbox is. Claiming that DOA2 used the full power of the PS2 is utter bolocks! With VF4 and even Tekken 4 both on their way with all their traits neither loosing any detail. He has the nerve to call his work perfect?! DOA2 has its perks but this guy needs some concrete boots to bring him down to earth. For DOA2's glitter and big tits, its gameplay became horribly bland after a while. it's characters were completely out of synch and the movelists were small and shallow most of the time doing the same thing but just looking different. It can't lay a finger on VF3 forget about 4. DOA3 better have something more than cuter girls in even tighter clothes if its going to beat AM2's latest work.

Adio.

13. Drunken_Master

well i did learn quite a lot about SC if i rember but its quite a while since i played the game. One problem with the game is i was beating this decent palyer who knew loads of moves that guy with the staff, buti couldnt beat this mad button masher.

14. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

Yes I'll admit that mashers can beat experienced players with only a few simple moves But, the advantage will always be in the pros corner, it really comes down to the character match up. Eg. I use Siegfried. And in my prime I was above average tournament level IMO. Now my cousin who used Hwang would often get the better of me simply down to the fact that he was quicker than me and got in the occasional poke though he hardly played. For me, SC was about who hit faster as everyone was capable of super damage regardless of weapons. Big characters may have been stronger blow for blow but the faster smaller ones could chain combos at super speed and overwhelm you eg. Maxi.

15. Marginal

Marginal Well-Known Member

Hmm...

A masher cannot take a skilled SC player in SC no matter what they do. They can take beginners and a few really backward intermediate players, but anyone who actually knows what they're doing and why will not lose to a masher. Ever.

16. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Fellow posters...plz take heed of what marginal has just said.
    For it is true..plus among all of us..I feel he would be the best person to address SC game play issues...

Good to see u here Marginal~

<font color=red>~~~ 'back off feather brain, or u can stick around and find out the hard way!/versus/images/icons/mad.gif~~~'

17. Vicks Biru

Vicks Biru Well-Known Member

Can't remember where I saw this... but the Sophitia lookalike is called Cassandra. Which means that she is Sophitia's sister. Gosh.

<font color=black>Yowai...yowai sugimasu wa!</font color=black>

18. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

"A masher cannot take a skilled SC player in SC no matter what they do. They can take beginners and a few really backward intermediate players, but anyone who actually knows what they're doing and why will not lose to a masher. Ever."

I dispute that. No one is invincible. To say that a scrub/novice using Maxi, Cervantes or Lizard man etc can't get a lucky shot in and win a match against a pro is ignorant. No game, especially SC with all its explosive moves is scrub proof.

Adio.

19. Daniel Thomas

I agree with you on that point. Soul Calibur never attains that level of experience-over-reflexes that Virtua Fighter has, but for the most part, the more experienced player should emerge victorious against a newer opponent.

I remember the day I bought a Dreamcast. It was a Friday, and I brought the console (with NFL2K, and SC) to work, a restaurant with a number of TV's by the bar. After hours, we hooked it up and started playing around. Within an hour, everybody was taking turns on SC, and playing very well, too. After several months, the game was still very popular, and those of us who studied the fighting system became quite skilled.

Most fighting games achieve either the first or the second. This game was able to achieve both, and that was its greatness.

Now if the sequel takes more notes from the VF series, then we'll see something truly impressive.

-----
    -- Groucho Marx

20. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

I'm gonna take it by ur definition of scrub, it means someone who does not know how to play.

I very much agree with marginal that no one who has knowledge of how to play the game at a high level will ever lose to a masher...ever.

While in SC, it is possible to just mash buttons...do a few commands n u get the decent combo...but mashers will only be limited to the few moves...that is all. After that, they get really predictable and easy to beat.

A better way to dispute this discussion would be for u to turn on SC, switch it to hardest...use maxi, Klik and mash the buttons...see how far u get without dying. (Currently, this is a best method I can think off...I guess the best way is for u to find a good SC player...sit down...n just mash the buttons with maxi. Go to GuardImpact.com if u need assistance in finding one...good site btw)

Maybe with mitsu u'll be able to get real far~

"""To say that a scrub/novice using Maxi, Cervantes or Lizard man etc can't get a lucky shot in and win a match against a pro is ignorant."""

I have a 60-0 win record to prove all I have said.
    And it was against a fellow VFDC poster.