1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

DOA3, Soul Calibur 2

Discussion in 'General' started by ice-9, Aug 23, 2001.

1. Marginal

Marginal Well-Known Member

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

I dispute that. No one is invincible. To say that a scrub/novice using Maxi, Cervantes or Lizard man etc can't get a lucky shot in and win a match against a pro is ignorant. No game, especially SC with all its explosive moves is scrub proof.

<hr></blockquote>

I can only speak on my experience. I do not lose to mashers. Mashers may be intimitating to an intermediate, but a skilled player knows enough about the system to recognize the traps that mashers cannot avoid falling into. They're linear, they're prone to expecting you to take turns petering out combos and blocking, and they're predictable, they don't know interrupts, distance, blocking and they have a nonexistant throw game, the almost never block low...

All of these elements work against them to the point that anyone who can block, sidestep or attack effectively can tie them up into a neat tidy bow. Someone who can combine all that has no problem castrating a masher.

Especially against a skilled player who knows how to maintain flow (pretty much anyone who wants to claim compentance in SC has to be able to do this), a masher just ends up blocking until they die from a RO, throw setups, juggles etc.

2. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

That's true. It's the surprise R.O.s that really gets me sometimes though. However, I do think "controlled mashers" can be quite painful in SC to deal with, though not as much as in Tekken. I mean, when it's completely random, you just have to win by brute force, not by yomi. I.e. forget the parries, rely on the deathfists.

3. Marginal

Marginal Well-Known Member

Hmm... I always thought half the charm of yomi was that you pretty much set it up yourself, and that by restricting your opponent's actions, you get up situations where yomi comes into play. Given how prone a masher is to just attacking, even a controlled one, it's not too difficult to restrict their oprions and apply Yomi. Force them to crouch, the next thing they'll try is surely going to be to be a low or rising mid attack. Low GI, and whack them with whatever you want from there etc etc. Doesn't even get into Uri etc which a masher will tend to eat with a spoon for that matter.

It's really to make any masher paranoid in SC. ;) Heck, just Cervy's dread charge 1fs cancel will drive them nuts alone. Should they move? Should they block in case Cervy's trying for a geo da ray, or will Cervy just cancel it into a forward dash and throw them?

4. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Come to think of it
    When I first learnt to play the game, cervy was someone I was VERY AFRAID of...

And come to think of it...now that I've forgotten alot of the game...( moves...priorities etc) He still looks menacing~!

<font color=red>~~~ 'back off feather brain, or u can stick around and find out the hard way!/versus/images/icons/mad.gif~~~'

5. Daniel Thomas

Daniel Thomas Well-Known Member

It's insanely easy to beat scrubs and button mashers in Soul Calibur. Most people I've played against or watched played one of two ways: 1) player learns two or three different moves, and then endlessly performs those attacks over and over; 2) player mashes on the buttons with all the skill of an infant (fortunately, there's no chewing on the controller, so I guess I should be grateful). Why bother to think anything through? Blocking is for mashers, and simply dodging to the side is out of the question.

Sure, it's fun to wipe the floor with these folks (and don't get me started on the VF2 scrubs at the arcade), but it would be nice if the average gamer put a little, well, thought into everything. And Namco bent over backwards to make this game easy to learn. Sigh.

-----
    "One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How the elephant got in my pajamas, I don't know."
    -- Groucho Marx

6. Guest

Guest Guest

You guys might want to check these out:

Xbox Conference stuff - DOA3 info in front
    http://xboxmovies.ign.com/media/news/video/japanese/010827update/doa1.mov

Video clip 2 - Lei Fang looks like she's put on some pounds, no?
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://xboxmovies.ign.com/media/news/video/japanese/010827update/doa2.mov>http://xboxmovies.ign.com/media/news/video/japanese/010827update/doa2.mov</A>

7. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

So was VF3 and now VF4 to a extent...any game can be masher friendly...

"Victory can be anticipated, but not assured" Sun-Tzu

8. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

a fact which anyone who has ever played you is more than aware of...

--
    "What we got here is a failure to communicate..."

9. VIVI

VIVI Active Member

I thought SC was better than DOA2.

I have problem with DOA2 reversal. The window for reversal is just to big. Sometimes, I can see a miss animation and still get reverse. Also the worst thing is nearly all moves can be reversed.

As for SC, SC is actually pretty good, its scrubs friendly, but there are enough there for someone to take their time to master the game. Once you know the strategy, you can run circle around scrubs, but scrubs will soon develop strategy as well with SC2.

When you guys say button masher, do you guys mean that the moves are easy to pull ?? or what ?? I mean sometimes button masher will also develop strategy that might win him the game.

But if its pure luck, DOA2 must be the game. Hope they fix those in DOA3. As it would be shame if not.

10. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

I have problem with DOA2 reversal. The window for reversal is just to big. Sometimes, I can see a miss animation and still get reverse. Also the worst thing is nearly all moves can be reversed.

THROW my friend. It'll get those reversal-happy guys quiet real quick.

11. AnimeJoe

AnimeJoe Active Member

Any game that has alot of throws and reversals is A OK in my book..

Super Double Dragon is a side scrolling beat em up but has always been my favorite Double Dragon game because of the cool arse counters. You can catch your enemy's first and slap or kick the crap out of him..

For the PS2, Dead or Alive II is still the absolute best Fighting game in my opinion. The game is just alot of fun thanks to the fighting engine(some nice reversals).

For the DC, the game is still Virtua Fighter III: TB..
    Aoi and Pai are THE women!!!!!