1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

DOAXVB: The Hype

Discussion in 'General' started by sayow, Jun 19, 2002.

1. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

Re: Not likely...

Hmm how old are you then ?

2. HighKing

HighKing Well-Known Member

Well, I've never really been interested in video games till the playstation came out. I've only played the nintendo (original) on occasion.

3. sayow

sayow Well-Known Member

<font color="lightblue">I think HighKing didn't understand your question, Almaci, yet he still managed to answer it... heh

This is the VFDC. It rumbles most of the time when VF is being discussed: you know that. As far as I'm concerned, GameCube is in no better a position than Xbox. They are awesome at what they do and that's just about it. At least, they get props for that. Mario, Donkey Kong, Super Smash Bros. Melee: it's the </font color> <font color="pink">Cutesy Machine!</font color> <font color="lightblue">But that's about it. Unless it can fill the needs of the major demographic (i.e. males, 30-50), it's going the way of Trix and it will stay there. I don't think they get it. That doesn't mean that Sony is the only one who gets it but they are at least getting it better than everyone else...

With DOAXBV, maybe Xbox can carve themselves a legitimate niche in this video game market and dominate something other than Shooters. Stand up congregation and put yo' hands togethah! Xbox has the most glorious Shooters on the plant. Morrowind is a good step in the right direction too. But critics hesitated to give it those Final Fantasy kinds of marks. It's a far reaching game and (not having played it) it seems to have done so very many things right. Why, then, don't the critics just give it up and say that it is DA BOMB? I just have to wonder why as I cross dem T's and dot those I's...

I hope you're right, Almaci. I have an Xbox and I'm not a Shooter fan. Morrowind might get bought but I'm probably like you and everyone else that comes to the mighty VFDC: I'm a video fight gamer. I dig the thrill it gives me and sometimes I feel rewarded for working it so hard. But SSBM, UFC and DOA3 are only so good and I just demand more than something cute and jiggly...</font color>

4. Cause

Cause Well-Known Member

That's actually not correct, the MICROSOFT MX Computer enjoyed huge success in Japan, in fact the First Metal Gear was done on this system.

5. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

The MSX or microsoft eXtended ( original XBox har har ) was indeed a big Succes in Holland and Japan ( where Sony was one of the big backers of the project ) mind you, it was ASCII who actually handled most MSX related work in the East and Phillips for Europe while MS did the operating system and really not much else .

6. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Hmm, lets see what happens when Panzeer Dragoon is released..and after xbox live is dropped (which, remember, MS is dumping 2 BILLION dollars into promoting...and thats JUST xbox live...no company can drop that amount of money)...
    This all being said - the main thing that has hurt MS
    1) Blind Hatred
    2) Japanese hating anything non-Japanese
    3) Released 2 years after PS2.

7. sayow

sayow Well-Known Member

<font color="lightblue">I haven't found an article to back that up (a little help, please). But I did find articles showing $2 billion to be spent by MS for marketing over a 5 year marketing period. That might sound impressive for most of us and it is on the mortal scale. But MS, Sony and even Nintendo are not mere mortals in these lofty climbs. And MS isn't the only company that can roll that kind of bank...</font color>

Click this link to see how all companies combined to spend over $1 billion in Marketing for just Fall 2001.

<font color="lightblue">Summary:
    MS Marketing cost: $500 million
    Sony Marketing cost: $250 million
    Nintendo Marketing cost: $500 million

They all know what is at stake and what it takes to win. MS may have more money than everyone else and it's probably a given as long as they are in the biz. But throwing money at it is not going to get it all done. Unless people buy and adhere, that's wasted money. MS can't afford to lose money every year in this thing and their weekly sales have been in steady decline since Gates' visit to Japan in February. Anyone can assert that MS will throw money at this all day long but those figures for marketing costs are more indiciative of a company trying to make money rather force a takeover...</font color>

Click this link for the projected worth of the video game market for 2002 and more marketing stats.

Click this link for another projection on worth of the video game market for 2002.

<font color="lightblue">The Market take for this year is poised for $7.5 - 8.3 billion this year in the US alone. Globally, it can be worth over $20 billion this year. The first article above indicates that Sony now has 9.8 million units in users hands world wide. It looks more like MS is trying to achieve a three or four equal part split (just a guess here). If they can get that, I think they can claim a battle or two in this war...

Of course, if they really do have all that money to spend, wouldn't it make more sense to just buy all these companies and make them produce for Xbox and not for Sony and Nintendo? Makes sense to me but who am I...</font color>

BTW, MS has $36 billion at its disposal; Business Week confirms that on this link.