1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Dodge Cancel (Recovery)

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Chanchai, Dec 12, 2001.

1. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

This is probably what spotlite referred to in the VF4 Sucks thread.

I think I've done it on occasion and the CPU has been doing it quite a bit against me... but after an attack is blocked, the attacker seems to be able to dodge and avoid a good amount of the attacks that are likely to come.

However, in addition to this, it seems like a dodge is ALSO useful following a tech roll (don't know about a quick rise). I've seen the CPU also do this and it looks like on some match clips, there were tactics used specifically to prevent this (Pai's dodge-reversal on a tech rolling opponent).

Anybody want to relay their experiences or what they've read on the this subject? Seems interesting enough to me. Certainly not invincible, but something to train to prevent or expect.

-Chanchai

2. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

From the subject you say dodge cancel, like the dodge negates some of the recovery frames of a blocked attack. Obviously it can't do that, so if the attack is minor counterable, a minor counter from the blocker will connect no matter what.
    If the attack is uncounterable, the attacker can dodge or guard or do whatever, but this strategy would only work once or twice, then the opponent will start throwing in response to all your uncounterable moves.

3. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

and isn't it just dodging? unless it's an actual bug and somehow it is actually cancelling recovery frames, it's just normal dodging, right?

4. Daniel Thomas

Daniel Thomas Well-Known Member

I actually saw this against a computer Jacky tonight. He blocked the first two punches in one of Lei's ppp strings, but then dodged out of the way, avoiding the rest of the canned combo and scoring a free hit. I'm not exactly sure how it's done, as I'm still learning the ropes on the new movement system (damn joysticks).

5. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Sure, it might be just simple dodging at the earliest moment, but to me... What I've been seeing reminds me of "Dash-Cancelling" in VOOT, where certain attacks just pull off almost instantly from dash recovery (but not necessarily cancel the whole dash)....

Not like it cancels the whole recovery, but like it cancels a certain window of it...

Again, I'm not sure about it, or if it's just imagination... But it's something that just seems unique. But then again, part of me thinks it's just doing the dodge as soon as you can do any technique/move, so maybe I'll just try using backdash as a model for comparison (among other things).

But if such a thing existed, then I thought it would be a good discussion piece. If it doesn't, oh well... then we know it's not in there.

-Chanchai

6. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Well, dash cancelling does cancel rigor time in VOOM'n'VOOT, and sega made those games... so it's not inconceivable I suppose. But I don't thinks Sega did that with VF4. There's little enough recovery on moves as it is.
    It should be easy enough to test. Ask someone to try to punch counter a barely P-counterable move, and see if you can dodge it. It'll take 10 seconds of the round and then we'll know.