1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone here like the x box?

Discussion in 'General' started by Drunken_Master, Sep 25, 2001.

1. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

SMW was a launch title. I didn't say it specifically, but I figured it was assumed as well as implied when I said everyone was going crazy about it (around launch time). I personally still enjoy that game.

-Chanchai

2. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

hehe, guess I 'rush-read' your last bit :)

I personally still enjoy that game.

Yeah....to me it's the best Mario game to date (though I never got to play the sequel, Yoshi's Island, which was probably of a similar quality).

However, SMW isn't a very big game by today's standards: if I turned on my SNES even now, I bet I could 'complete' it in less than an hour and a half.

3. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Yoshi's island
    Mad fun~
    I still have the game n by today's standards, everything still looks great n sounds great n plays great~

<font color=red>~~~ 'Flock off feather brain, or u can stick around and find out the hard way!/versus/images/icons/mad.gif~~~'

4. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

Heck yeah, if there's been a better 2D platformer made, I haven't played it!

5. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

The majority of the Castlevaina games are better. All of the Metroid sereis was better. Contra and Super Contra are stronger games. Kid Ikarus is a better game. Dont forget about the Ghost & Ghoblins series. Just a few examples of better games IMHO. It is probally tied with Super Mario Bros 2 for best Mario game ever though.

Under the surface of the most jaded cynic lies a dissappointed idealist- George Carlin

6. Drunken_Master

Drunken_Master Well-Known Member

lonely i dont want to offend you i really dont but i got to ask what are you smoking? You think SMB2 is the best mario game ever? have you even played number 3 and 4?

'Drunken idiot walking or staggering HIC,

7. Drunken_Master

i rember 4 launch title in the uk there were Super Mario World Super Socer F zero and pilot wings

8. Drunken_Master

yes i got loads of reason to hate the X Box 1 Its to big i mean BIG BIG BIG its nearly the size of two ps2s i dont want to have to but a console that big. 2 I havent seen one game that really makes me want to buy the system and there would have to be loads of brillant games to make me want to buy a console that big
    3 its made by mircosort who know nothing about conosles if they take a big share of the market they will lower the standards of gaming.
    4You make the dyou make 15 games seem so much higher than 8 but who really cares if 15 of those games will suck?

9. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

I've played all those games and Yoshi's Island crushes them all. Not to say I don't like them, I like all the games you mentioned, save for maybe Metroid. I don't really cataegorize YI with the rest of the Mario series either since it has different play mechanics, but of the Mario games SMW is probably the best.

10. Hayai_JiJi

It was the most creative and original. Dont get me wrong I thought 3 like most Mario games was great. I just thought it went overboard with all the outfits and stuff and it loses points for its association with the movie The Wizard. It also was not as challenging in my opinion. I also said 4 was tied with 2. I just think 2 was the most fun

Under the surface of the most jaded cynic lies a dissappointed idealist- George Carlin

11. Hayai_JiJi

I've heard that Yoshi's Island was great. I never have played it(I am very ashamed)but they are bringing it out on the GBA. So I am definately going to pick it up and see what all the fuss was about.

While we are on the subject of great platformers. Does anyone remember a game on the Genesis were you could get all these different masks and get different powers? I think it was called Kid Chamelon. I only rented it once but it seemed like great fun.

12. Madin

Madin Well-Known Member

"I've played all those games and Yoshi's Island crushes them all."
    i'd have to say that that is a bit of a strong (wrong) statement.
    but the fact that you don't like metroid probably explains it.
    since you don't class YI with the other mario games then its difficult ( near impossible ) to compare them with the likes of metroid & castlevania IV. i suppose it depends what kind of platform game you used to like/like now.
    i'll check through your 10 favourite games and write more later.
    on the subject of mario games in the order of fun to play i'd say:
    1 SMB 2
    2 SMB 3
    3 SMB 4
    i'd say technically SMB4 was the best followed by 3. but super mario brothers was fun from begining to end, i even enjoyed winning ( on the all to easy to fix! ) fruit machine at the end of each round. it had NO replay value though.
    but if a game is really good first time round, who cares?
    i never complained after playing metal gear solid 1, it was great, i wish it COULD of been longer, but i would of been foolish not to have seen the passion and effort that went in to that game.
    (ok starting to rant...must stop.... NOW!)

13. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

i'd have to say that that is a bit of a strong (wrong) statement.

<hr></blockquote>

OK so you're right and I'm wrong. It's all so painfully clear to me now.

I'm not lumping YI as a traditional Mario game, but that doesn't mean you can't compare platformers period. Metroid isn't what I'd call a traditional platform game. If you want to have a discussion about and analyze these games I will be more than happy to.

Hey yeah, I still got Kid Chameleon for my Genesis, great little game.

14. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

FWIW I agree with your thoughts on SMW. Personally I fucking hated SMB3. If the levels weren't stupid short and boring they were obnoxious and not fun. SMB2...ehhh. Didn't really love it or hate it. I don't really even acknoweledge it as a true Mario game (....because it ain't).

Anyone ever play the Japanese SMB2? I'd rank that up there with SMW. It's basically SMB1, but insanely hard. Very, very difficult (fucking 8-3 or C-4...eRRRGh) but extremely satisfying to play through and win.

--
    "A chem bla deshembla blurr fuh bli fouzh"

15. Madin

Madin Well-Known Member

Quite clearly not the X-box!

"If you want to have a discussion about and analyze these games I will be more than happy to."
    yes a discussion would be nice, this is a general forum after all. :)
    you should note that nowhere in my earlier response did i say that i was right. i was just stating an opinion has indeed you have done and will do.
    i felt that saying that YI 'crushed' ALL those classic platform games of varying types is very bold (or strong) statement.
    especially has you gave no reason why you thought this was true, or what for example makes it better than SMB4 (up there in many peoples all time favourite list).
    i'm interested to read why you think its has good has it is.
    ps: don't emphasize something i've put in brackets please!

16. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

Re: Quite clearly not the X-box!

Mr. Bungle: Huh well I liked all the Marios, I thought each one successively improved on the previous ones. Yeah Japanese SMB2 was a mother, I remember I beat it on the Mario All-Stars cart years ago but I can't on SMB DX for Game Boy anymore.

Madin: You didn't say you were right, but you did say that I was wrong. Why that is don't know. Yes it is a bold statement to make, I think it's true, I'm not gonna sugercoat it like "Um, you don't have to agree with me, er, I think this is the case, IMO." I concede that perhaps "crushed" is too strong of a word since I enjoy and admire all of those classic games, but I still think YI is still the best. Why? I don't think there is another platformer that has such intricate level design with all manner of traditional and nontraditional elements and varied play mechanics available to the player. Just being able to throw eggs all over the screen gives you more freedom than most games do, but in no way is it overdone. Not to mention just the little things like Yoshi's little float jump (later incorporated into Klonoa) and his little vehicle transformations. Sure you could get through the game, get 100% everywhere is a whole nother challenge, not to mention the special stages. I don't think I ever did 100% on the last stage, requiring you to defeat Bowser without getting hit. It is in essence, the culmination of years of refinement in the platform genre by Miyamoto and it shows.

17. Madin

Madin Well-Known Member

Re: Quite clearly not the X-box!

you have come with a very good argument to back up your stating that YI is the best within the SMB type platformer.
    but we are discussing the whole range of platform games.

i'll use metroid has my example. it is a platform game. it had aspects of the megaman platform games, where-in you were required to re-visit old ground to get certain power ups. in some megaman games this was merely a matter of choice, in metroid it was a necessity. but my point is like megaman series is considerd platform games, so are the metroid series.
    why i would'nt want to compare metroid with YI: 2 totally different types of platformers.
    starting with character control. you start of with a pretty bog standard level of control over samus, nothing new over any other shooting platformer, but this grows & grows until you have whats was in my opinion one of the most dexterious & felxible character controls in any platform game. of course if all her abilities were givin to you at the start, the game would of had a frustrating learning curve, but that wasn't the case. and every time you got a major new weapon you were gently schooled by the game on how to use it. for example on getting the morphing ball the only way out was to USE the morphing ball. upon getting the bombs it was necessary to use the bombs to get out. little touches that make a big difference. The level design was astounding, trademark nintendo genius. the level design complimented the control of samus very well. without distracting from your enjoyment you knew which doors were opened by which weapon, which blocks could be destroyed by your bombs etc. visually the levels were brilliant as well, very understated lacking lots of bright and garish colours. metroid is definately one of those games that has a 'feel'. and then there was all the cinematic & nintendo touches throughout the game. At the start, after responding to a distress call a very un-prepared samus heads to the station. she ventures through the labs noting carnage, clearly she is to late, who caused all this?. she eventually reaches a room where the prize of the galaxy is in a container, the young metroid she had allowed to live from metroid II. the there is no background in this room only a 'haze'. the focus is clearly on samus and the metroid. then suddenly ridley comes into view clutching the container, you instinctively fire at her (for some of us because he is rememberd from the first game, for others, because he is ugly!) in your mind your thinking: "what the hell is my pee-shooter gun going to do against this beast!?" has if to answer that question ridley unleashes a volley of fire from his mouth, you seemingly can't avoid it, too quick, too much spread. you try moving around to make yourself a moving target, he uses his tail to smash you to the ground. ridley is easily handing you your arse and there is nothing you can do! just has it reaches a point were it seems you are going to die, ridley makes a stunning mode 7 exit. and leaves you to escape a self-destruction sequence! not a bad begining for a platform game (interactive opening sequence), but metroid isnt just any old platform game.
    The way the background music forbodes you when you first land on planet zebes. and the area seems devoid of activity bar a few insects shuffling out of your way. Then you take the lift down., and an eye shines a spotlight on you, a container can be seen on the other side on a ledge behind the eye. you start to move but the eyes spotlight is tracking your movements. you go the opposite direction JUST to sse if this spotlight will still track you! at last the beam dis-engages the area you are in however only leads to another dead end, and now you know something or someone is aware of your presence. The key is obviously that container that the eye seemed to be 'protecting'. you head for it, the beam engages again, but you were expecting it this time round. you make a couple of simple jumps over to the container and, upon collection you are informed that you have obtained 'the morphing ball' and you are givin a quick instruction in how to use it. suddenly the level lights, up the music changes to a tune of action, and you KNOW that when you take that lift up, creatures will be ready for you. and do you know what? you don't get disappointed. i don't ever recall being disappointed in this game, even though it very cleverly uses its music to raise tension and change moods, the game always managed to keep up and surpass this level of expectancy. the moment when you battle against little versions of the monster kraid (dam! still remembering stuff like that after all this time!) all who had played the 1st metroid game had a good idea what was coming up, but for those who didn't the shear size up the beast was incredible!. The sinister ghost ship level, the game hadn't forced you into that feeling since the begining. Advanced technology dead and lifeless, what could the cause be? you had no doubt, because of the music and feel of the level, that something sinister was behind it, you just wondered, "what could it be?". again the game did not disappoint you beat the boss (can't remember the name) and the level burst into life, lifts and moving platforms that were stagnent are now full of power, you excitedly go and re-explore the level!
    Remember the very 'novel' way you enter the water level, through the glass walkway under the ocean?
    how about the little aliens that teach you the wall jump and the speed boot jump?
    remember that boss that none of your weapons could damage? but who you had to force back into the larva.
    remember the gross statue that was all the bosses put together and the entrance to the final area? how about the change in pace brought about when you decend deep into norfair? the sudden change in music.
    how about at the end when you are in that corridor and you shoot at those lifeless statues and they crumble, expectancy levels rise. a creature comes into view, not one that you've seen before, but a nice change from blasting metroids to pieces. you feel invincible with samus at the moment, loads of super missles and power bombs, the screw ball attack, a freezing plasma gun that passes through multiple enemies, yeah bring it on! except... nothing you do even bothers this creature, it doesn't even flinch if you super missile it! WTF! now what? your answer descends quickly, has if from no where a huge metroid comes and latches onto the creature literally sucking every drop of life from the it. with the creature dead it releases it grip, and nervously you wonder what to do... you not stupid enough to think that you weapons which couldn't deal with the dead creature will hurt this massive metroid ( but the hell you try!) nope no good, maybe its time to leave.....
    how many classic moments in one brilliant game? a hell of a lot.
    control freaks could customise their samus via the select options, remove various features try different combinations of guns ( i like using the plasma gun by itself were possible ).
    you had the special weapon attacks i can't remember how they were done now, but each gun had its special attack that it could perform if you done a particular sequence, not necessary to complete the game at all, but just adding to the overall abilities of samus. for replay value, well its a nintendo game. you soon heard about the fact that you could get to see samus' face if you completed the game quickly, because controlling samus is such a joy, no problem your up for the task. you get a percentage of found items at the end. once again because controlling samus is so much fun ( speed boots, space jump, and that ever so handy x-ray scope!) no problem exploring such well designed levels even after completing the game is a joy, and who knows maybe you'd missed another nintendo genius touch... and invariably you had.

nintendo had done a brilliant job of carrying over their excellent mario brothers series to the SNES . they also made no mistake with the less known metroid series.
    I'd say that putting YI together with metroid is being generous to YI. has you said "the culmination of years of refinement in the platform genre" i won't disagree, i'd just add that this is within the SMB type platform games and not across the board. comparing mario to sonic is more reasonable (although some say because of the different emphasis in these games its difficult). i like, both but would chose a mario game over a sonic game at a push.
    i get the impression ( correct me WHEN i'm wrong) that you prefer SMB type platformers over the likes of castlevania, metroid, ghouls & ghosts, megaman etc types.
    if that is the case then its like someone who plays both 2d & 3d fighters but prefers 3d saying that 'VF3 is better than 3rd strike'. in this case it would be better to 'sugarcoat' the statement by saying 'IMO'. this may not be true of you, but it is about a lot of people. i try and be objective were i can.
    YI is comparable on a small scale to previous SMB games, although the feel of controlling yoshi is very different to the feel of controlling mario.
    its VERY hard to compare super metroid to anything really. PS one had a metroid style castlevania game but with RPG elements, did it pull off the metroid style? IMO no. in fact i enjoyed playing castlevania IV alot more, dispite the fact that the PS castlevania game was longer lasting (i could write a whole lot more on castlevania IV!). i have the GBA castlevania and it continues the PS one 'metroid with RPG' style castlevania games, which are good, but i prefer personally the fast paced 'old school platform' style castlevania's (does anyone else?).
    metroid pretty much stands alone when it comes to that type of platform game. (hypothesis time) if i had all the mentioned games in front off me and had to take one away i'd take metroid. it has more emotional and technical range then the SMB games IMO, more cinematic, more dramatic, similar replay value etc.
    however if someone was new to nintendo and platform games, i'd probably direct them to SMB 4, then advise them to check out YI and leave them to it from there. if i directed them towards metroid they may say "what other games are there like this?" and i'd say "um......"
    DISCLAIMER: sorry about all the spelling and grammactical errors, i'm from london so you'll expect no less!

18. Hayai_JiJi

I am still pissed I was stupid enough to sell my Genesis. All those great games gone I was such a dumb ass. I cannot believe I sold all those Phantasy Star games, The Streets of Rage games, Sonic, Golden Axe, The Shining series Ohhh the horror.

19. Post Man

Post Man Member

solution: get yourself a copy of the genisis collection for dreamcast.

20. Hayai_JiJi

I have one but it is just not the same:(