1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone miss Taka-Arashi or the 3D backgrounds

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by soulmachine, Feb 2, 2002.

1. UnCauzi

UnCauzi Well-Known Member

Taka owns j00

2. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Little to no recyling of animation...now even YOU can't say that with a straight face..hip throws, side kicks, roundhouse kicks....ALL (well, I can speak from 1-3, have not played 4) are recycled and shared animations...

3. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

(rolls eyes)

Yes, there are universal or near-universal moves in VF. No they don't all look alike. Yes, a FEW of them look alike. Sega works hard to ensure that the animations are not identical. Look at VF2's sidekicks.. everyone's about the same. Now look at the sidekicks in VF4.

Totally unique sidekicks:
    Wolf, Jacky, Sarah, Lei, Vanessa, Shun, Lion, Lei Fei.
    Recycled groups: Akira/Jeffry, Kage/Pai/Lau

Elbows underwent the same treatment. Akira's got changed from 2 to 3... kage's got changed from 3 to 4, Lion's got changed from 2 to 3 for the sake of realism, even though it was already a unique animation.

Even high punches have suble differences. Akira's has more 'snap' then Lion's slow retracting punch. Aoi strikes with her palm. Shun bends his knees and elbows slightly and makes a jerky little crooked jab. Low punches are the only animations I'd say are truly universal, and again there are still subtle differences.

Find me a modern fighting game with LESS recycled animation than VF4.

4. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Kage... elbow... new animation... ugh. =(

5. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

I like kage's new animation. The ninja on DOA3 uses it too /versus/images/icons/smile.gif /versus/images/icons/frown.gif
    Notice the loads and loads of new animations for Jacky too... all in the name of realism (and I guess to make things cool looking)...
    low backfist spins in the opposite dir now.
    High backfist - low backfist causes jerky to spin one way and then the other.
    Low backfist - sweep is different, it's a forward sweep now.
    Ditto P - sweep.
    P+K, P, K ... old one was a crescent.
    elbow-backfist-kick ...old one didn't turn away.
    New TT b+P.
    New d+K,K (second kick used to be the same as normal low kick, now is sweep)

Sega's awesome.

6. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

I love/hate Jacky's turn toward beat knuckle. It's like a signature Bruce Lee move... very simple, yet powerful. I hate getting hit by it all the time... /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

Yeah, overall Jacky's animations have been thru a complete overall from VF3 to 4. We may think of him as a scrub character, but someone at AM2 loves him, or has crunched the numbers to find out that he's extremely popular with players. Jo Shun told me once that he's by far the most popular character in Hong Kong.

7. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Just nit-picking, bruce lee loved the skip-forward backfist and eye-jab, not a turning backfist..would of been awesome if Jacky had those. (Does he in 4??)

8. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

I just recall playing Wolf and Jeff in VF3 and doing a knee on Taka over and over and getting a free giantswing or whatever you prefered everytime./versus/images/icons/wink.gif

9. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

In some ways, you could say I miss Taka and the varied terrains of VF3.... but you know... that's why i still play VF3 quite a bit.

I really like how VF4 came out and I think it did a good job of carrying over the general VF engine, tweaked it up a lot, and still carry its own unique appeal that makes it its own game. I think all of the VF games have successfully done this, creating their own Identity.

-Chanchai

10. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

Re: Does anyone miss Taka-Arashi or the 3D backgro

That's because you've been playing VF3OB (strictly gays-only)...

11. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

no you could do that in VF3 as well, it was first taken out in VF3TB.

12. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

U know the difference between OB n TB?

13. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

I never heard of OB before??, only VF3 and VF3TB, I know there are diffrent versions of VF3, but I thought that you could hit Taka with Wolf and Jeff's knee and he wouldent fall down in all of them.

14. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Don't worry about it, you guys are talking about the same thing. OB stands for Original Battle, or all the versions previous to TB (-> VF3).

15. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

Ok I see, yeah well I still I prefer VF3 over VF3TB.