1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Does Sega Lose Money Because of VF Console Ports?

Discussion in 'Arcade' started by masterpo, Sep 4, 2020.

1. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk
    Does anybody know if PS3 VF sales and Xbox one VF Sales in Japan caused Sega to lose money
    for Virtua Fighter i the arcades?

Are there any articles of interviews about this?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
    beanboy likes this.
  2. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

Interesting question.

3. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Good question. I don't think so though. The vf5 vanilla series was pretty consistently popular in arcades and was pretty much always in the top 10 arcade earners at the time if I remember correctly.

4. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

Related to the question, there was an interview with Bernie Stolar, where he talked about the dangers of console ports of sega games, like VF3tb being given online play, which in his mind, would have threatened VF in the arcades, and segas arcade business on a whole back then. Which is why VF3tb on dreamcast didn't get online. I know alot of people, wanted the dreamcast port of VF3 aka VF3tb, to have online back then. Some gamers might call it a wasted opportunity, but as much as it sucks, he had a point, especially with the arcade business in Japan, slowly spiralling down back then.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
  5. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

offline will always be the preferred way to play and players who get into it because of online access are more likely to becoming offline monsters. It's a net win to have good online for the offline scene.

6. Shoju

Shoju Well-Known Member

The online would've been awful in those days though. I can't imagine it would've had any negative impact on arcades as a result.