1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

does the Namco PSOne stcick work with VF4 PS2??

Discussion in 'Console' started by Ruffcoconut, Mar 31, 2002.

1. Ruffcoconut

Ruffcoconut Active Member

the one with the grey base and yellow buttons and stick?
    anyone know?

2. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Yes, PS1 controllers work fine with the PS2. The only thing new on the PS2 dual shock joypad is the anolog buttons, which VF4 doesn't use.

I think the Namco stick you are referring to is the preferred gun of the veterans around here who like Japanese style sticks...

3. Moby

Moby Well-Known Member

Yes, I actually want to touch on this some more. I've had probably 50 hours or more VF4 playtime on both the ASCII FT2 and the old PS1 Namco stick (grey with yellow buttons), and I can't describe how much more i prefer the Namco stick.

The stick itself is looser, it seems more "lively" and less stiff than the ASCII FT2, and thus it's much easier to do quick crouch-dashes or rolling motions. Less strenuous on the hand muscles. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

The buttons are clicky and much more responsive than the FT2's mushy buttons as well, even tho I prefer the FT2's convex buttons (the Namco stick has flat buttons).

My friend has been using his Namco PS1 stick since 1996 (when it was released), and we're still banging the heck out of it now, so it's a pretty durable thing too. I can't recommend it more. I'm neutral on recommending the FT2 now.

4. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

""The stick itself is looser, it seems more "lively" and less stiff than the ASCII FT2, and thus it's much easier to do quick crouch-dashes or rolling motions. Less strenuous on the hand muscles"""

The exact reasons why I sold off the FT2 stick.
    It's excellent for 2d fighting games...n I leave it at that.

5. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Do you know of any place that is selling this stick?

6. Mirkan

Mirkan Well-Known Member

I was wondering...

I have the Agetec DC stick (green buttons, grey base)
    How similiar is the Namco one in terms of button alignment, stick movement etc?

I've seen pics of it and it looks almost the same, but does it have the same 'feel' to it? If not, in what way does it differ?

Furthermore, has anyone got any experience in playing VF3tb (and/or any other DC fighting game for that matter) with a PSX/PS2 arcade stick through an adapter such as the Dream Connection 4-in-1? Are there any issues I should know about?

It's probably obvious where this is going /versus/images/icons/smile.gif
    I'm thinking about buying a Namco Arcade Stick and using it for both VF3tb and VF4 with the use of an adapter.

7. Moby

Moby Well-Known Member

Hey Mirkan! The Agetec DC stick has slightly bigger buttons than the Namco PS1 stick... but they are both the same shape (flat).

The button alignment is similar, but the PS1 stick's buttons are probably a little more of an arc. The Agetec is bigger than the PS1 stick, in every dimension. Also, the Agetec has a flat surface, whereas the PS1 stick is angled downwards. If you want, I can take a picture of the PS1 stick like I did with my ASCII FT2, so you can see what it looks like up close. They both feel very similar; if u like the Agetec you'll probably like it. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

The only problem is that the Namco PS1 stick was manufactured back in 1996, so it's positively <font color=orange>ancient</font color=orange>. I'm not sure where you could find one at all! /versus/images/icons/frown.gif

P.S. I have no experience with joystick adapters, sorry.

8. Mirkan

Mirkan Well-Known Member

"If you want, I can take a picture of the PS1 stick like I did with my ASCII FT2, so you can see what it looks like up close."

That'd be great!

As for the stick being a bit old, yeah, I had quite a hard time finding one but I eventually did. I can get one for around 30 bucks, so it's quite cheap too. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

"They both feel very similar; if u like the Agetec you'll probably like it."

That's good to hear!
    Regarding the adapter, I guess it should work fine, the only concern I have is that it might not register the buttons properly, or perhaps the stick even... Probably just me being paranoid anyway.. /versus/images/icons/crazy.gif

9. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Is there an adapter to use D.C sticks on a ps2? All the places I checked, it was only the opposet, ps input devices on a D.C