1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Does VFDC need a chat?

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by ice-9, Nov 30, 1999.

1. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

ghetto-SHUN brought this up with me, and he thought it would be a great idea if VFDC could have its own chat room. This is entirely possible, and I could easily get a JAVA based chat if there is demand for it.

However, I do know that #vfhome is around and established, and that is why I hesitate. Is there a need for a VFDC chat?

ice-9 | Sennin

2. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Re: No :)

There are two reasons why I think having a web-based chat room is not needed:

1. As a co-admin on another website (http://www.sydvoc.com if you care), we recently put up a chat room. We tried a number of scripts, each having a number of (in)stability problems with various users' browsers, causing browser crashes, sometimes worse. We finally found an IRC-based web chat script which works quite well. Users can enter the chat room either through the web interface, or via their own IRC client. But since it's just IRC with a web front-end, people preferred using their own IRC client. There was less overhead, had more features, etc, etc, etc.

2. The #vfhome channel, on efnet, has been around for ages, with a couple of the versus city posters more or less permanently camped there.

If there are people out there who absolutely cannot get on IRC, then a chat room on this site, linked to #vfhome, could have some use. But apart from that, I think it'd be a waste of time. (and IRC wastes enough of my time as it is!) ;)

__
    Myke

3. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Yes...I think a chat here would be a great thing for those who do not have mirc {there might be a few of you out there still}. But please, not like HG chat and have it on the late side of a thursday night - 2 am friday morning...those of us with jobs and school could just not do it often.

4. Rulakir

Rulakir Well-Known Member

Hmm.... thing about #VFHome is, (I'm unfamiliar with IRCs, so forgive me if I sound ignorant on such matters.) in the newer versions of mIRC, connections with different EFnet servers never seem to have the #VFHome channel in them. (I gave up after a coupla tries.) Besides, the conversations that occur there are literally ZERO, if rarely. /images/icons/frown.gif (At least, from the times I've lurked there anyway.)

I personally think that having a web based chat would be better. I recommend the chat forum used by the Online game known as Archmage. (Anyone plays that game here ?) Lag time is not too bad, though comparing it with IRC leaves it sorta wanting..... However, we should have a general topic to talk about. Sorta. Well.... so long as it doesn't degenerate into conversation jumps that Ed is prone to do..... that's fine I guess..... /images/icons/laugh.gif (Oh, how he makes me laugh at times....*shakes his head at the memory...* /images/icons/smile.gif)

Next point I wanted to bring up, should we restrict access to registered members only ? or ? Again, security concerns me here. (Impersonation, blah blah blah....) But really..... we have 170 registered users to date, and WE'RE (Well... not forgetting the few other newer guys posting of course...) the ones that are sorta actively posting. (I count, maybe 20 ?) Granted that you don't really have to post anything, even if you're registered, but really..... we should have seen some activity by now.... /images/icons/frown.gif

I concur with Shadowdean's opinions about time. It would really be great if time slots can be catered to between both sides of the world. That way, we can encourage more people to take part, and well... share discussions. Players like Dickson, Wen, Delune, and several others that I know of would be happy to join chats like these. /images/icons/smile.gif

But, again, the ultimate decision lies with Jeff. As per norm. /images/icons/laugh.gif Next !

-Rulakir

5. Guest

Guest Guest

truthfully, certain #vfhome regulars wouldn't want many of the people who hang around here polluting the channel, anyhow.

6. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

nah, i dont think a chat would work. If people wanna
    talk vf just go to good ol #vfhome and chat whenever you want.
    its been like that for years :)
    oh and also : java based chat its a no no. How hard is it to install mirc? c'mon

<font color=black>PICCOLO</font color=black>

7. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Myke, tell me more about this web-interface to IRC. I am primarily thinking of players like Nelson who doesn't have a computer of his own and relies on terminals like the ones they have set up at XS.

ice-9 | Sennin

8. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

I have mIRC and I do love it... However, as I posted before, EFnet servers are the only darn servers I've ever had trouble connecting to. All of them do not ackhowledge that I have identd. However, every other server besides an EFnet server allows me in and acknowledges this. I have no understanding of why this is or how it is like this, but it is only on EFnet where I have such a problem.

I guess what it comes down to is that I honestly wish that there was a web-chat interface that would connect to #vfhome. Even if it had a high restriction and made sure you were a decent enough person to go on... However, the only issues I've ever seen on java-based applet IRC clients is that they allow a person to login about a million times as a million different people at once... But I am still in favor of this, but it really is a personal as opposed to professional reason.

Restrictions or no restrictions, I want to finally login to #vfhome in the near future.... Bugs the hell out of me not being able to.

-Chanchai

9. Chanchai

Web-based IRC client...

A friend of mine is currently making use of the web-based IRC-client. Not to mention he either found a hack or did something to it so that he could free himself of the restriction of the original distributors of it (basically, they kind of want you to put their html code on it)... Anyways, I'll give you more info if you need it or Myke isn't able to... but if you want, I can give you the URL to test it out. It's not a public feature of the site we're working on, but we can chat on it a bit. Look at my previous post to see the one major issue I saw on it. However, like this messageboard, it registers the IP out in the open.

-Chanchai

10. Guest

Guest Guest

and just a sincere warning. take heed: irc has the very real potential to FUCK YOUR LIFE UP depending on what kind of person you are and the people you meet there.

11. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623

Myke, tell me more about this web-interface to IRC. I am primarily thinking of players like Nelson who doesn't have a computer of his own and relies on terminals like the ones they have set up at XS.

Jeff:
    For more information about the web-chat we're using, go to http://irc.ram-page.com.

IMO, VF discussion has the potential to do more good if it's focussed in the forum; the information is persistent. With chat channels, if you're not there, you'll miss out and you'd be lucky if someone was logging the conversation. However, if shooting the breeze with a bunch of VFers (and non-VFers) is your thing, then #vfhome is always there.

Chanchai:
    I would've thought that CigarBob's instructions on getting connected to an efnet irc server were sufficient (assuming you followed them, especially the bit about ident). If you're still stuck with the ident problem, I know that server irc.concentric.net does not require ident to be installed, so you might want to give that a try. But let me warn you, take heed Rich's advice regarding IRC and it's health/life hazards.

Chatting is a great time waster. I'd be more concerned for the likes of Nelson who would be paying by the minute/hour at XS. (I'm assuming this XS is some kind of net-cafe?).

__
    Myke

12. Chanchai

Thanks for the message Myke. CigarBob and I tried to get everything working and it didn't work out too well, but I still appreciate all the effort he offered me. One thing to note is that I'm not new to IRC at all... Been doing it for over a year now at least, but for some reason, this problem only persists on the EFnet servers. As far as losing a big chunk of my life to chat? Not really likely for me... I mean, it's fun and all, but for me, it's nothing like the messageboard which I check very often. However, I do continue on with my life and its many activities. Thanks a lot though :) I'll tell you if that server you gave me allows me to login. Thanks again for all concerns. /images/icons/cool.gif

13. Chanchai

Alright, I did go to irc.concentric.net and that did work... One of the advice given to me by one of the EFnet servers was to contact my server or ISP (I think) about getting ident installed. Well, I definitely have it on my computer and again, I'm connected via DSL... Hope that helps figure that problem.

Oh yeah, if someone would like to send me a personal message regarding this, to whom do I request invitations to #vfhome?

-Chanchai

14. Guest

Guest Guest

#VFhome $hit!!!!

It looks like some one took over #vfhome!..

I just tryed to log on and just like chanchi said it is only invite only..
    WTF!!!!!

Im a VF scrub. If you are looking for a arcade quality controller for the home system Email me.

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Re: #VFhome $hit!!!!

it's fine now..