1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Dojo drills/challenges

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by MarlyJay, Sep 6, 2012.

1. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Share your Dojo training drills and challenges here:

To begin with, here's a fun challenge to train breaking stagger.

Select Goh as the opponent in dojo mode, then use the record mode. Have Goh do max charge [4][P][+][K], then a buffered [4][6][P]. The buffering is important for fastest response. No cheating ;)

The challenge is to block the charged [4][P][+][K], then break the resulting stagger fast enough to block, duck or sidestep the [4][6][P].

It's doable. [P][K] (12f) is guaranteed from this stagger so the window for blocking the 14f move is very tight. Chief Flash has a vid of him doing it like an absolute boss. Can you also meet the challenge?

Maxou, Feck, Chanchai and 2 others like this.
  2. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

Practicing active Fuzzy

Pick jacky as your opponent and use the following recordings and let the P hit you.

1. P, Throw
    2. P, 6P

For additional difficulty try adding random pauses before and after you do the commands and add a 3rd random pause. This will help with your reaction active fuzzy.

Next level up is
    1. P, Throw
    2. P, 6P
    3. P, 1K+G

You need to tap down after you finish the fuzzy late enough to standing block the 6P but early enough that you'll block the fast low sweep.

Chanchai and VFnumbers like this.
  3. Chibiaya

Chibiaya Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Bus Orez
    When is the window for the active fuzzy? I can't get it to work??? I'm probably just doing it wrong... more importantly, how the hell do you do it???

Edit: I got it nevermind =)

Active fuzzy requires using cd fuzzy because the opponent is at +5

Tricky likes this.
  4. Tricky

Yeah I left out the part where you need to CD fuzzy since you're at -5. If you block the P you'll be at -2 so you can use 2 to get the fuzzy in those situations. You can practice it both here.

5. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Who can break that stagger? C'mon guys, don't be shy.

6. Chibiaya

XBL:
    Bus Orez
    marly i can, just not consistently. ill stream it later when i feel better

7. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Flash needs to post his vid in this thread. someone tell him when he's about.

8. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    I'll try that tonight, Marly. Staggering has never been one of my strongest points so ot will be good for me to give it a go.

9. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    If you can break this stagger, you should be able to break pretty much any. I think it's harder than blocking Akira's dbl plm after stumble throw in Vanilla.

10. Combolammas

Combolammas Sheep

Damn, that's a hard struggle, I need to use it more in my game. Never knew it'd be that damn hard.

As for the question, I tried about 20 times and got 3.
    I usually just wiggle 78987... and press P and K once while holding G, but this either requires more speed on the stickwork or more buttonpresses. If anyone can do it consistently I'd like to know your strugglingstyle.

11. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    I usually do 789 and press P K and G before holding G. Doesn't seem enough though. May have to do full 360's to do this consistently.

12. Combolammas

Combolammas Sheep

But isn't that (theoretically) worse than 789 since the diagonals don't count for struggling? Or so I thought. All theoretical though, since many people probably bust out more inputs spinning than wiggling anyway.

13. Lord_Hollow

Lord_Hollow Well-Known Member

PSN:
    LordHollow_KMH
    XBL:
    LordHollow
    I will try this later when i get home.

14. Lord_Hollow

Lord_Hollow Well-Known Member

PSN:
    LordHollow_KMH
    XBL:
    LordHollow
    Good Lord, this is not easy...

15. AnimalStaccato

AnimalStaccato Well-Known Member

Stair step then box step. Then crouch stair step and crouch box step. I haven't put much time into the latter. It depends if your character has good mix up options from crouch.

Stepping is a really great way to get out of range or bait a whiff and whiff punishment is a big part of this game. Plus it improves dexterity and speed in your fingers which will help when you need to pull off moves quickly.

Andramelech and Chanchai like this.
  16. Chibiaya

XBL:
    Bus Orez
    I do this all day err day =)

AnimalStaccato and Chanchai like this.
  17. ToyDingo

ToyDingo Well-Known Member

PSN:
    BrodiMAN

Could someone explain to me what stair stepping and box stepping is? I hear it constantly, but I have no real idea what it is. Heck, I might already do it...not really sure :(

Andramelech likes this.
  18. Tricky

box stepping is stepping in a box literally 66, 8, 44, 2, 66, (repeat and reverse directions)

stair stepping is a new term but if can only imagine it goes something like this 66, 2, 66, 2, 66, 2, 66, 2 OR 44, 2, 44, 2, 44, 2 (you can changes 2's for 8's and you got upwards stairs?)

Andramelech, cobratron, Feck and 2 others like this.
  19. ToyDingo

ToyDingo Well-Known Member

PSN:
    BrodiMAN
    Oh, ok neat. I think I do the "stair stepping" already. Just never knew it had a name. Thanks for the info...

20. Tricky

I didn't know it had a name either actually. I just call call of it box stepping. They're all just variations on a theme.