1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Dojo drills/challenges

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by MarlyJay, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

I should add stair stepping might not be a brand new term. It's just new to me. Vets might have heard it before.

2. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

This.

For those not familiar with the number notation, stair stepping is movements like [2][4][4][2][4][4] ... or [8][6][6][8][6][6] etc.

Box stepping, like Tricky said is just moving a box. [2][4][4][8][6][6] repeated would be the basic version. Though there are variants like [8][3][3][4][4]... etc.

For those who haven't seen it here's a nice little vid of some of the various stepping techniques throughout VF's history.

3. Tricky

Keep in mind that all stepping tech dosen't work in all versions of VF. Like 44 used to cancel into 11 but that is no more. 33 and 11 are basically dash cancel dead ends unless you G cancel.

Chanchai likes this.
  4. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

Mad tired here but if I recall correctly, [4][4] can only be cancelled with a jump or attack, [3][3] is [G] or an attack and [1][1] can be cancelled with a dash ([6][6] or [4][4]), [G] and attack.

A lot of stuff in that video isn't possible anymore, stepping was restricted a fair bit after VF3 and 4.

5. Tricky

You can cancel any dash into an attack and the only dashs you can't G cancel out of is 44 and 11.

6. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    You can cancel backward crouchdash into guard.

The only dash you cannot guard-cancel is [4][4].

I'd say that boxstep starts with backdash, as I think its purpose is essentially to backdash something and then dash back in for a throw. The evade in the middle is in case opponent tries to do something. At least this is how I've always looked at it. It's by no means invulnerable technique.

Stair stepping used to be the fastest way to put distance between you and your opponent. I guess it still is.

Feck likes this.
  7. Chief_Flash

Chief_Flash Well-Known Member

XBL:
    T1L ALL AR3 0N3
    LOL hi guys

MarlyJay and Feck like this.
  8. Jide

Jide The Super Shinobi Silver Supporter

PSN:
    Blatant
    Good to see you practising that shit...

However you're destroying my Goh arsenal... Nooooooooooo

MarlyJay, Chief_Flash and Feck like this.
  9. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    That's the good stuff. I'd like to know if anyone using a pad or a hitbox has broken this stagger. Doesn't have to be done as well as flash, but are you able to avoid getting hit?

10. cobratron

cobratron Well-Known Member Gold Supporter

Can't do it on hitbox but then I can't do it on stick either. Not sure what the best technique is even after watching Flash's inputs a bunch of times. It looks like he starting the inputs right before the icon turn red which I thought was not a good idea. I'm stuck.

As soon as I can do it once on stick I'll try to reproduce on hitbox.

11. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    As far as i know the game only counts inputs while the stick is red, though inputs while it's green do not count against you. You need A certain number of distinct inputs to break the stagger.

12. cobratron

cobratron Well-Known Member Gold Supporter

Good to know...one less thing to worry about (timing). And I think I mess up mostly by accidentally pressing the P and K simultaneously or plinking. I'll try to space them out further within the struggle window.

13. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    For this stagger i recommend using G as well. P and K alone has never been enough for me to break this.

14. Tricky

Flash, can you make that video again but instead of command display show the input display. That we folks and see exactly what you're doing. The joystick is kinda of moving too fast to see wtf is going on there.

15. Chief_Flash

XBL:
    T1L ALL AR3 0N3
    video incoming

Chanchai and Tricky like this.
  16. Chief_Flash

XBL:
    T1L ALL AR3 0N3
    ok here's the video. I used my HD vid camera this time. i attempted 12 times, and I was successful 4 times. the video shows the 4 successful stagger recoveries, and the last portion is a slow-mo. fyi - since i used input command as the display, it was hard to see the joystick icon. :holla:

Chibitox, Chanchai, Drift and 3 others like this.
  17. Chief_Flash

XBL:
    T1L ALL AR3 0N3
    P.S. JIDE I'M COMIN FOR YOU!!! :D

Tricky likes this.
  18. Chief_Flash

XBL:
    T1L ALL AR3 0N3
    OK after further practice, i am able to consistently break it. the trick is this. after goh's move crushes your guard, begin to rotate stick. then, right before the stick turns red, press the following buttons in this order and same amount of times:

[G] [P] [K] [G] [P] [K] [G] (hold last G to block)

hope this helps!

19. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    Done it once in like 50 attempts difficult as hell on a pad. Couldn't duck under but did block it. I reckon if I used my chin to mash on the d-pad as well I might have a faster stagger but less control. Plus I'd look like a lunatic.

BeastEG, Chanchai and Chief_Flash like this.
  20. Tricky

Flash you are awesome dude. Not only did you go above what I asked for, you did it super fast. Loving it man!

Chanchai, Chief_Flash and Sidna7 like this.