1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Dojo drills/challenges

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by MarlyJay, Sep 6, 2012.

1. cobratron

cobratron Well-Known Member Gold Supporter

Yea i re-recorded this stagger and follow up buffered as tight as can be. The 46P is coming out the first possible frame now and though i can still break stagger in time to block or crouch im less consistent then i was before. I'm okay with that because i felt it was too easy last round. My inputs are the same pretty much except i added one more directional for a total of 6 inputs.

2. cobratron

this stagger is freakin stupid ridiculous tough to break...im down to one out of every 8-10 tries now :(

3. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Single frames make all the difference, but NO ONE should be breaking Stagger [P][K]. The CPU can't.

4. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    Try the blaze one I posted earlier. I thi k it's close to the same difficulty. Probably a little easier.

5. cobratron

yea messing around with goh in the dojo the PK must still be tight after the stagger also. most goh players should have no issue but i say youve got about 2 frames max to enter the P or you will get blocked

6. cobratron

been meaning to try the blaze stagger...i feel like im back to square one again with goh but i will give blaze a try tomorrow

7. cobratron

I tried this Blaze stagger over the weekend and its slightly easier than the Goh one. Definitely felt good to break it a few times more than I can Goh's

8. ToyDingo

ToyDingo Well-Known Member

PSN:
    BrodiMAN
    Trying to work on my scrubbiness. Any tips on how to do this effectively on a PS3 pad? Should I just swing my thumb around on the dpad and hit as many buttons as possible?

9. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

Denkai and CidKid could actually answer this question very well.

10. Tricky

For joystick to Hitbox transition players:

To get used to the new control input method quickly I find the following to be a good tool. I'll refer to the butons you'll be pressing. This is simply to help rewire your brain more quickly. The key here is speed and accuracy. If you're fast but inputs are off, then slow down, it has to be perfect.

4,1,2,3,6 then 6,3,2,1,4 and repeat over and over increasing your speed. If this is too hard then you can just do 2,3,6 then 6,3,2 (repeat with 2,1,4 --- 4,1,2).

After that is down you work on the 6,9,8,7,4 then 4,7,8,9,6 over and over. use same pattern as before for the quarter circle motions if you're having trouble with the half circle.

Then go for 8,9,6,3,2 then go back up. Repeat on the other side 8,7,4,3,1,2 and go back up.

If this here can't get you used to the new input method then nothing will :).

sidenote: if you press 4 and 6 at the same time (at least on my TE dunno if it's a coding thing with VF or if it's my stick) I end up getting he 4 direction. If I press 8 and 2 and the same time I get the down direction. It dosen't matter which button I press first, if both buttons are pressed I'll get those directions.

11. Unicorn

Unicorn Well-Known Masher Content Manager Wolf

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    I have got my custom made hitbox this weekend. Will write more about it tomorrow or so, but to this topic - 4+6=5 and 2+8=5 for me, so it seems to be your stick.

Tricky likes this.
  12. Tricky

Sharing a post that I made in PSN GGs that really belongs here since it's a drill.

A tactic I use to learn my ranges for different moves from dashes is dojo mode default position and just backdash then do the attack I want. If it whiffs I try 33 after the backdash and cancel it into the attack. If that works then try to find out what range it won't work anymore. Maybe instead try doing two 11 dashes from start position and see if I cancel 33 into my move do I whiff yet or still connect. Then more interesting level is when I start using more realistic dashing motions like 448448 which is a basic backdash stepping technique, but it leaves you pretty far from your opponent, so it can be hard to attack without being really telegraphing the move you're going to use. What I started trying out are ways to attack from that range so something like 448448,44266~G6P actually connects (with the 2 serving to keep us on axis).

Chanchai likes this.
  13. nou

nou Well-Known Member

Just getting used to chaining my reactions together defensively.

Because El Blaze is my main

I as the CPU to Guard and Counter Attack 5. Then...

- K, Fuzzy Guard. I choose K because it's -3 on block, which is the last possible frame you can simply duck the throw.

- 6P, CD Fuzzy Guard. Blocked Elbow leaves me at -5, which is the last possible frame I need to Crouch Dash under the throw.

- 8 P+K, ETE or TEG.This move leaves me at -9 which is the last possible frame I can enter a Two Choice defenaive option of ETE or TEG.

Instead of practicing one at a time, I do them one right after another. K->Fuzzy Guard->Elbow->CD Fuzzy Guard->8P+K->Two Choice->Elbow->CD Fuzzy Guard->K->Fuzzy Guard->K->Fuzzy Guard->8P+K->Two Choice etc. etc.

Drift, Chanchai and Tricky like this.
  14. nou

nou Well-Known Member

Bumping for Unicorn.

15. Drift

Drift Well-Known Member

On advice of counsel, I am copy-pasting a post I made in another thread for increased exposure:​

Here is a drill that I believe can accurately determine and improve your "in-match" reactions:

Take your character and Jeffrey into the Dojo.
    Record these 3 actions with Jeffrey:
    1) PK, throw, guard
    2) PK, 4KP, guard
    3) PK, 6PP, guard

Part one is to learn to respond with the appropriate defense. Get hit by PK, then crouch dash fuzzy guard. After the fuzzy, watch for either 4K or 6P. If 4K, duck the P follow-up. If 6P, evade-crouch-dash the P follow-up. (I'll explain why ECD later.)

Once you can reliably duck the throw, guard both 4K and 6P, and then duck or evade correctly it is time to move on to punishing all 3 options. Choose 3 separate actions for punishes to make sure you can't "get lucky" and can focus on reacting properly. I like to PK the throw attempt, 2P the 4KP, and get a nice side-turned punish for 6PP. 2P for mid-high strings is particularly advised because many strings with highs have mid or low follow-ups that need to be shut down before they can be threatening. You will likely find that punishing the throw attempt is the most difficult.

The reason for ECD'ing the 6PP is to help train what I call the "Two-Hitter Defense." It is incredibly useful in stopping people from using mid-mid / mid-throw mix-ups. In general, many useful mid-mid string starters are -5/6 on guard. So, if a player attempts to mid-throw, they will be -5/6 and the throw will not be active until frame 15/16. Conveniently, ECD is considered ducking throws on frame 15. If you ECD after guarding the first mid, you will evade if they do the 2nd mid or duck just in time if they try to throw. Knowing this, you can change the first recorded action to: PK, 6P, throw, guard. You should be able to duck 4KP, evade 6PP, and ECD 6P/throw.

You may do this drill with any character who has a mid-high string and a mid-mid string that start in 16f or less. Ex: Kage 46P+KP and 3KPP.​

Marlow, nou, cobratron and 2 others like this.
  16. Tricky

awesome point about the 6P blocked into throw mixup. I never thought about what it meant frame wise. Thanks for that bit!'

Edit: added a video of the drill you posted for folks to see it too. http://www.twitch.tv/nyc_vf/b/374131596

cobratron likes this.
  17. Marlow

Marlow Active Member

PSN:
    Redwin6411
    XBL:
    Marlow0822
    Is there a comprehensive list of these, or a summarized version anywhere? I’m hoping to come up with a dojo routine to start practicing things like fuzzy guard, hit confirm, stagger, etc.

Chanchai likes this.
  18. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

it will be awesome to make one... that said, a joy in watching Juicebox’s streams is seeing the different ways he configured the dojo snd the dummy :)

Marlow likes this.