1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

DOWNPLAYING YOUR CHARACTERS STRENGTHS???

Discussion in 'General' started by HotSauceNelly, Mar 23, 2020.

1. HotSauceNelly

HotSauceNelly Well-Known Member

I've noticed over the years that people that play VF seemingly LOVE to highlight their characters lacks, weaknesses, struggles, handicaps, etc. However...I seldom hear the same energy given when highlighting their characters potential, strengths, uniqueness and overall ability to dominate if the right approach is applied to said character. Example: """Aoi has always been the weak link of the VF series! So it makes since for all her moves to easily be countered""" Classic downplaying message I got recently from a VERY CAPABLE online Aoi player! Lol! So my question is.....Do you ever find yourself DOWNPLAYING your characters strengths???

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  2. kungfusmurf

kungfusmurf Well-Known Member

Only the players, LOL. & oh AK's knee is really easy to do, especially during pressure situations.

BlackGeneral and HotSauceNelly like this.
  3. Oioron

Oioron Well-Known Member Gold Supporter

I didn't like how they "nerfed" Kage in FS and kept using that as an excuse for my poor play. I especially miss his catch-throw (9P+G). This probably held me back from improving when I started playing again.

Now I've accepted that he's just different than what I've been used to but still ultimately lends itself to my style of play. I tried out other "strong" characters but they just didn't fit and found myself gravitating back.

I still miss 9P+G though, but maybe it's for the best since I used it too much and became a crutch.

HotSauceNelly and beanboy like this.
  4. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

It's not unique to VF, all fighting game players downplay their character of choice because they uniquely understand their weaknesses. The best players understand what makes their character strengths and learn to lean into those attributes (which is easy actually). The hard part is learning how to make up for the weaknesses of the character and your ability to manage weaknesses is what elevates players in terms of skill level. If you manage to cover the weaknesses well enough other players may not even realize they exist and you're in an even better spot. But never forget, the weakness is still there.

This has been my approach to FS Eileen since they nerfed her into the ground on one aspect of her kit (weight) but made her strong in every other aspect. She's a glass cannon.

5. HotSauceNelly

You're speaking the truth Smurf! That knee is easy as pie in a pressure situation! Lol!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  6. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

Aoi? Since when?

HotSauceNelly likes this.
  7. kungfusmurf

kungfusmurf Well-Known Member

NERD!

Tricky likes this.
  8. HotSauceNelly

That's what I thought when I first read it! o_O

beanboy likes this.
  9. Seminasuke

Seminasuke Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Seminasuke
    Goh is cheap and played by assholes.

beanboy and Dreamboat like this.
  10. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

Goh was way cheaper in VF4 Evo. Lol!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  11. HotSauceNelly

Well DAMN!!!! What Goh player made you salty for life??? :LOL:

beanboy likes this.
  12. Seminasuke

Seminasuke Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Seminasuke
    Myself.

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTT~

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    Dreamboat, beanboy and jimi Claymore like this.