1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Dragon Punch of Doom (DPoD) thread

Discussion in 'Kage' started by Ribx, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Ribx

Ribx Well-Known Member

Did some testing on it. It's not exactly just frame, as people say. But it obviously requires rhythm. The 16f spacing is probably the best one to maintain a certain level of consistency, but this just comes to prove that a certain margin of error is allowed. Particularly for P+K to P, since when you're punishing -15f moves, you buffer P+K, hence inputting it a few frames beforehand, therefore increasing the window between P+K and P.

The point here is that below you have input windows, but these are tied with the animation. When you buffer P+K, it will be input beforehand, but the window that matters is between P+K hitting, and P being pressed (which is a 4f window). All in all, if you're buffering it, buffer it very late (to keep the rhythm you practised intact).

Windows
    P+K to P = 12~16f (5 opportunities: 12, 13, 14, 15, 16)
    P to K = 15~17f (3 opportunities)
    K to K = 15~17f (3 opportunities)
    Total frames (after P+K is pressed until last K is pressed): 44~46
    The distance between P and last K also matters.
    Too long, and it won't work, even if the total is 46.
    16f between PK and P
    14f between P and K
    and then 16f between K and K seems fine, but there's a window inside those 44~46 where the first P and the last K should land.
    My advice for landing DPoD all the time is to find the rhythm. Do it once.
    Did it work? No?
    Try another rhythm. Don't do it visually. Listen to the rhythm you're doing with your fingers.
    Once you find the proper rhyhtm, you'll never miss. It's just like tapping your hands on the table to a song (more info on that here: http://beingascrub.com/2010/10/06/an-addendum-to-links-by-ribxus/)

Nothing pressed frames | Held frames | Held (of the current line) + Nothing pressed frames (of the line below)
    This follows the game's advanced input info. You can replicate it yourself. Do DPoD, and then stop and compare your frame data with these and try to understand why it didn't work.
    Also: P+K's held frames are
    a) With no direction (the P+K after 6P+K on the command input list)
    b) They also include the P held frames (those times where you release K before P, and P has held frames on the list)
    So the held frames for P+K are a sum of P+K and P's held frames in case K was released.

Works

X 2 PK 14
    12 2 P 16
    14 2 K 16
    14 X K

Works

X 2 PK 12
    10 4 P 15
    11 4 K 17
    13 X K
    Works

X 5 PK 14
    9 4 P 16
    12 2 K 16
    14 X K

Works

X 5 PK 13
    8 4 P 17
    13 3 K 16
    13 X K

Works

X 5 PK 13
    8 5 P 17
    12 3 K 16
    13 X K

Works

X 3 PK 12
    9 5 P 17
    12 2 K 15
    13 X K

Works

X 4 PK 13
    9 4 P 15
    11 3 K 16
    13 X K

Works

X 3 PK 15
    10 4 P 16
    12 4 K 16
    12 X K

Works

X 3 PK 13
    10 3 P 15
    12 3 K 16
    13 X K

Works

X 6 PK 14
    8 5 P 17
    12 4 K 15
    11 X K

Doesn't Work

X 5 PK 16
    11 4 P 15
    12 3 K 16
    13 X K

Doesn't Work

X 6 PK 16
    10 3 P 16
    13 3 K 15
    12 X K

Doesn't Work

X 4 PK 14
    10 3 P 16
    13 3 K 17
    14 X K

2. cobratron

cobratron Well-Known Member Gold Supporter

I've always used the listen to your button tap method when doing the dp string. If I can't hear when a rooms too loud I visualize the rhthym of my fingers hitting the buttons. But in doing so I kinda take my self out of the game for that short moment.

Truthfully I have the hardest time with this and pretty much gave up even using it in matches. But I felt the same about the hit combo and now I'm alot more consistent with it so I'm gonna try to do the same with dpod.

For one thing its not something you can learn to do consistently in 1 or 2 days. The muscle memory for this needs a decent amount of hardwire time. Too bad no plinking in vf.

3. Ribx

Ribx Well-Known Member

The way to practise Rhythm is to do something before hand (simulating a random situation), and then do the sequence that requires a rhythm.

For example: PP, and then do it.
    Sidestep 33 cancel G, then do it.
    PK~G cancel, then do it.

Are those good situations where you should land DPoD? Nop. But they're good to get your brain to switch around different rhythms on a whim.

Practising Akira's GBoD by itself is pointless, for example. It should be practised after doing something else. Anything. Can be random. Do something, then immediately do the sequence after. Keep it fresh when practising DPoD.

4. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
  5. Ribx

Ribx Well-Known Member

I read the whole thread Myke. I just wanted to do it a bit more thoroughly.

Turned out to be pointless. Can't do it online. Not even close. Lag completely ruins it.

6. cobratron

Ok I'm hitting this 99% of the time now and this is even after a [6][P]+[G] where the timing can get a little tricky if you buffer the dp too early throwing off timing of the [P]

I seem to have the best luck separating the [P]+[K][P] from the [K][K] almost like a 1,2 1,2 rhythm. I even add a 3rd [K] and it gives me the last hit everytime just to be sure. If you're having trouble finding a timing that works give this one a try.

*Also similar to how I use [K]+[G] for every input of the triple kick hit combo I also use [P]+[K] instead of just [P] for the 2nd input of DPoD. Just makes it a bit more easier than removing my middle finger from [K] making the next 2 inputs brainless by removing my index finger from the equation:

[6][2][3][P]+[K],[P]+[K],[K],[K]

Pai~Chun likes this.
  7. cobratron

Also just noticed this and may not be so useful in tournament environment but the chimes/sound cues that start a split second after the [P] input, begins to match perfectly with my rhythm starting on the first [K]

My ears latch on making the timing for the last hit even easier.

It sounds like 1,2..3 where the 3 chime doesn't correspond to your input

8. Ytpme_Secaps

Ytpme_Secaps Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Jami San
    repetition is key, and like ribx says, try it from varying situations. The [6][P]+[G] is the most important one as it is his best guarantee dmg afterward.Although Dragon Punch,K, is a very good compromise online(46 dmg) and getting just the first three hits is more damage than his [3][K][K] option. this used to be so hard for me but now I land it 3/4 online and almost always offline.

9. cobratron

Well im having issues with DPoD again. Just when I think I got it a day later I'm only hitting it 50-75% of the time. I actually have more of a problem doing it when not after a [6][P]+[G] I know its not a big deal because thats when you want to do it most but in general its not good. My muscle mem goes haywire and I either input it way too slow or way too fast.

Its like I need to be more calm but its hard to be calm in the middle of a match. I feel like I'm getting nowhere and in order to pull this off on a daily basis you need to warm up and do it over and over in dojo. Why is this so hard?

10. cobratron

Aside from less damage I just don't see how this move is inferior. Its super easy to perform. Elite didn't discuss this as an alternative to dpod in his guide. I'm with you Ytpme. DP,K in serious matches and dpod when just messing around in casuals.

11. Ytpme_Secaps

Ytpme_Secaps Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Jami San
    the phase you're in now will pass, this is part of the process , cobra, you get better , than seem to regress , but all the while you are improving, I went thru the same thing. Eventually it takes less and less time to warm up. But even with that said, mistakes still occur . I still revert back to [3][K][K] in a panic.

12. Izuna_Shoryuken

Izuna_Shoryuken Well-Known Member

question: is it possible to combo off of this move when all the inputs are done correctly?

13. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    you mean add extra hits after the full DPoD? No, it slams them to the ground and they can tech roll.

14. YOMI

YOMI not a legendary game designer

PSN:
    buttoi-man
    Not to mention they can techroll, but you will be left at a disadvantage afterwards.

15. Izuna_Shoryuken

Izuna_Shoryuken Well-Known Member

Found out it was a dumb question after training mode. -.-
    Is there no followup after a partial? Seems like there's too much recovery though..

Only way I've seen the dp start a bigger combo is near a wall in training mode.

16. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Me and combolammas tested this the other day and turned out to be false. Its actually Kage who has advantage if opponent techs. I used to think DPoD was pretty bad option usually because of the tech situations, but now my mind has changed.

Pai~Chun likes this.