1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

DTEG notes

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by feixaq, Feb 16, 2002.

1. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Howard and I discovered something interesting today:

When trying to DTEG after a blocked throw counterable move, try to avoid df+P+G, db+P+G or d+P+G as the second TE. Reason is that if you use df, db or d as the second TE in DTEG, you are registered as crouching for a split second (even if you return the joystick to neutral at the same time you release P), so an elbow-class move will hit you (which really defeats the purpose of DTEG in the first place).

2. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

That is interesting. Is this confirmed even if P+G is pressed on the exact same frame as the down directions? Also since you're in recovery, shouldn't the elbow not hit until you're done recovering (which means you must be guarding if the DTEG was done correctly?)

Or are you saying the down directional tap somehow stays in the buffer and will stick there until you're recovered, at which point you duck and presumably get staggered?

3. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

further to this, if you are registered as crouching, could you not then perform a double escape and then guard a sweep or any other low attack? While elbows and knees would hit you any low attack should be blocked.

GE

4. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

That is interesting. Is this confirmed even if P+G is pressed on the exact same frame as the down directions? Also since you're in recovery, shouldn't the elbow not hit until you're done recovering (which means you must be guarding if the DTEG was done correctly?)

Or are you saying the down directional tap somehow stays in the buffer and will stick there until you're recovered, at which point you duck and presumably get staggered?

Seems like if the second TE is a df,d or db, then you are registered as instantaneously crouching and will get hit by elbow class moves, even if theoretically you should be able to block it (elbow generally being 14f).

further to this, if you are registered as crouching, could you not then perform a double escape and then guard a sweep or any other low attack? While elbows and knees would hit you any low attack should be blocked.

Yes, but you could always low guard after a regular DTEG anyway, since most low attacks are either (a) special low, or (b) slow in execution anyway.

5. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Interesting you guys mentioned this; I had the very same problem in VF3 (just TEG), but had always assumed it was just me inputting it incorrectly. That's why I had such a headache facing off against Akiras...TEG with d/f+P+G or d+P+G left me vulnerable against DEs, SDEs, and SPODs.