1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

dumb question: changes in counters from VF2 to VF4

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by vfbum, Feb 14, 2002.

1. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Yeah, when an attack whiffs, it's recovery time is the disadvantage. Your character is not in block stun, so you pretty much have as much time to do whatever you want. AFAIK, recovery times are not listed as such in the blue book, only the block-hit-counter advantages. /versus/images/icons/mad.gif

Lion's sidekick d/f+K is listed -7 when blocked. Is it still throw counterable or can I use that one frame to input a P to interrupt the throw attempt?

Not throw counterable (need -8f). Not P counterable (need -12f? -13f?)

Guess what! Lion's sidekick is uncounterable! Huzzah! =)
    Be aware, however, that if you just hold guard after you sidekick, you can still be thrown. You would need to continue attacking to stop your opponent's counter throw attempt.

2. nxw0016

nxw0016 Well-Known Member

Re: dumb question: changes in counters from VF2 to

quote:
    [[ Guess what! Lion's sidekick is uncounterable! Huzzah! =)
    Be aware, however, that if you just hold guard after you sidekick, you can still be thrown. You would need to continue attacking to stop your opponent's counter throw attempt. ]]

And if you want to continue attacking to stop your opponent's counter throw attempt, your opponent can use other attacks to counter your continuation of attack. Since after your side kick is blocked, you are in -7 frame disadvantage, so if your opponent wants to attack you, most likely you will be hit as a MC. For example if you want to use punch as the continuation after your side kick is block, Lion's punch's execution frame is 12(per say?), so if your opponent, after blocking your side-kick, counters with any attack that has execution time less than 12+7=19, than you are doomed.
    (Therefore, for new comers:
    Welcome to the basic idea of hit/throw selection game of VF.)

3. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Which is why the general rule of thumb (IMHO) is:

- DTEG or RDTE after a throw counterable move has been blocked
    - ETEG after an uncounterable move has been blocked that leaves the opponent with initiative
    - Try P, d+P, or throw after a move has been blocked that leaves you with initiative

4. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

It wasn't a dumb question at all vfbum. This turned out to be one of the most constructive threads on the forum in awhile IMO.

nxw and FeizaQ: thanks for filling in the details to my last point =)

This lesson in rule of thumb countering and flow charting is now complete.
    /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

5. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

No..not a dumb question
    one of the best I've read question's I've seen being asked in a LONG LONG LONG time ( old timers here know what I'm talking abt)

Keep em coming /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

6. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Conclusion: Jacky players can connect with df+PPP ~ Pounce string after blocking a shoulder ram, guaranteed!

A quick update. For some reason, I always thought Jacky's LS (Lightning Straight) combo -- df+PPP -- was a true combo if the first df+P hit as MC or mC (Daily VF4 listed LS as a counter tool in the Kaeshi section). But when Howard and I tested it yesterday, you could block the final P even if the df+P hit on mC... so it's only a true combo on MC.

Hence, my earlier conclusion was erroneus; you can indeed hit with df+P as mC, but the third P can be blocked.

7. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

I've always thought that too, and seeing it not work on the PS2 made me wonder -
    Ver. C change?