1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

EGM Interview WIth Yu Suzuki

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Deniz, May 13, 2002.

1. Deniz

Deniz Well-Known Member

The current (June 2002) issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly has an interview with Yu Suzuki, in which some of his answers to questions are "interesting," especially with the VF 4 Evolution rumors currently circulating. Here are some key excerpts. Make of them what you will:

When asked about the absence of Taka-Arashi, the last part of his answer is: "... we didn't have enough time to make him work in VF4. That does not mean he won't be back. He could show up in the future."

Note that this seemingly contradicts his statement in the recently published IGN interview where he says Taka has taken his last pass...

When asked about how the Xbox version is coming along:
    "Suzuki: [looks over at Sega of Japan PR manager, mumbles something in his ear, laughs, turns to us] We can't say anything about that."

To me, that's a pretty clear cut indication that an Xbox version of some sort is underway.

When asked about the removal of the dodge button, his first response (before explaining its deletion): "We are considering bringing it back in the future."

Here's something not a rumor: "Yes, Sarah is still my favorite character to use if I am playing against a skilled fighter. If I am playing against someone who isn't so good at VF, I'll use Lei-Fei."

2. HighKing

HighKing Well-Known Member

No, it's a PS2 exclusive for a certain amount of time, for maybe about a year or so. By then VF4 would be old news. But if it's true I just hope it doesn' t go to the XBOX (Even though I have one I still like my PS2 way better)

3. Kiteless

Kiteless Member

I don't understand the logic of that comment. After all the xbox is considerable more powerful then a ps2 so the conversion would benefit as a result. Just look at Doa3, the game is vastly superior visually graphically then virtua fighter 4.

Yu suzuki mentions a possible return of dodge button. I personally can never understand why he removed it, instead of removing it he should have developed the idea further. The removal of dodge button and 3d interactive environments made VF4 more a step back then forward which was a very bad decision for the franchise. I know a few not so fanatical fighting games players who all prefered vf3 to vf4 because it felt more 3 dimensional, I guess its just a preference although I personally would love to see some innovation in a sequel rather then reverting to old skool nostalgia gameplay

4. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

Dodge-button gone -- good idea.
    Porting to the XBOX -- better idea. Might have VF.net from home! Remember, there's no online PS2 users in Japan, comparatively speaking. And even though FFXI will get someonline, I assume there won't be Broadband for a while.

5. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

VF.net still wont work online .
    You try doing Akira´s knee with a ping of even less then 20 and then comeback and tell me if online play is a good idea .
    vf.net in Japan isnt online for the fights either in the arcades remember .

6. Bu_Jessoom

Bu_Jessoom Well-Known Member

I read the interview sometime ago. It's a good read, but I thought it was so similar to the IGN one, don't you think? Almost the same one!

Removing the dodge button didn't get rid of 3D movement in VF4. It just made it more accessible, and I wouldn't like having it back for VF5.

I don't know much about this, but I hope Broadband is capable of bringng VF.net home. This reminds me of some Capcom Dreamcast games that were supposedly using online features(play?) in Japan through Capcom servers IIRC. Games like Darkstalkers 3, SFZ3, and even SF2 X were rereleased to make use of that. Anyone remembers how successfull that was? Or did it even incorporate online play, or just some web sites access and the like?

7. alucard

alucard Well-Known Member

Yu suzuki mentions a possible return of dodge button. I personally can never understand why he removed it, instead of removing it he should have developed the idea further. The removal of dodge button and 3d interactive environments made VF4 more a step back then forward which was a very bad decision for the franchise.

3D movement is still in VF(4). I think the decision to remove the E button is just a dumb marketing ploy, there is no reason whatsoever why it should be removed, I can list the many reasons why it should NOT be removed, but I won't cause its been discussed to death.

8. Deniz

Deniz Well-Known Member

No, it's a PS2 exclusive for a certain amount of time, for maybe about a year or so. By then VF4 would be old news.

Look, if nothing was in the works for the Xbox (or at least under serious consideration), then Yu would simply have answered no to the question, especially since any hint of a future "improvement" could annoy Sony, so why risk doing that with a false innuendo? Further, PS2 exclusivity might not apply to a VF 4.1/VF Evolution title, with a modified game system, such as a dodge button or new characters/moves. But even if it does, such a major revision would not, IMHO, be old news by next year. A February 2003 release on the Xbox would be fine with me.

But if it's true I just hope it doesn' t go to the XBOX (Even though I have one I still like my PS2 way better)

I don't understand that, but this isn't really the forum for a PS2 vs. Xbox discussion. BTW, I too own both, and a GameCube as well.

I read the interview sometime ago. It's a good read, but I thought it was so similar to the IGN one, don't you think? Almost the same one!

There is more than sufficient difference. As I mentioned, the two appear to contradict each other on the fate of a Taka return, and the Xbox stuff (which I think is the key part of the interview) was not covered in the IGN interview at all.

9. sayow

sayow Well-Known Member

Trying to Get the Timeline Straight...

The IGN interview (3/12/02) came out just before the release of VF4 for PS2 in the US. It seems safe to say that an Xbox version was only a twinkle in Yu Suzuki's eye at the time. I don't remember hearing rumors about Evolution (or whatever it might be called) until at least after the first month's sales figures were released. Perhaps that served as sufficient encouragement...

In the IGN interview, Suzuki-san said: “Ah, I have to say that [Taka]'s taken his last pass. You know how you say sometimes that someone might have three passes (strikes), and then they're out of there? Well, here, he only had one pass, and he's taken it.â€Â

To EGM, he seems to insist: “... we didn't have enough time to make [Taka] work in VF4. That does not mean he won't be back. He could show up in the future."

Earlier on, he seems less likely to bring Taka back. His interview with EGM makes him sound even hopeful. Perhaps that laugh coming from Suzuki-san is MS tickling him under that table…

::mind dances with delight at what Sega, AM2 and VF can achieve on an Xbox::

10. Deniz

Deniz Well-Known Member

Re: Trying to Get the Timeline Straight...

The IGN interview (3/12/02) came out just before the release of VF4 for PS2 in the US. It seems safe to say that an Xbox version was only a twinkle in Yu Suzuki's eye at the time.

Wrong. The following quote (put by me in bold italics) was reported on 3/1/02 at www.teamxbox.com (it's still in their news archive):

Our friends from OXM UK have now confirmed that an Xbox version of VF 4 is in the works. They spoke to sources close to Sega this morning, who confirmed that the title is in development - although there's no official word on extras just yet.

Close sources to Yu Suzuki, the legendary creator of the Virtua Fighter series and driving force behind Shen Mue, have confirmed that the developer has been speaking of a version 4.1, for release late this year in both arcades and the Xbox console.

OXM UK is the official UK source for Xbox gaming.

11. sayow

sayow Well-Known Member

<a target="_blank" href=http://ps2.ign.com/articles/355/355407p1.html>Click here for the interview at IGN's PS2 site.</a>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.teamxbox.com/news.php?id=2683>Click here for TeamXbox.com news article.</a>

Good catch...

12. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

Almaci: What do you mean (vf.net won't work online)? There was talk about the PS2 version being online, and compatible w/ vf.net before it came out. It was a big blow to VF4'ers when it was announced that it wasn't.

True, VF4 isn't an 'online' game, but all VF.net does is recieve a message from the game when the match is over, sending any relevant information about game. I don't see how the Xbox version wouldn't have such a feature. Connect to a server, find someone to fight, fight on your own port, battle results sent to vf.net server. Done -- and not even that difficult.

13. BMF

BMF Well-Known Member

GaijinPunch: I think what Almaci meant was that it was not possible to have online play with VF, say me fighting someone in japan over the internet. But I think what your saying about vf.net being compatible with a console version is possible but it's still not what most people are hoping for.

14. HighKing

HighKing Well-Known Member

Sayow, That is old news and probably a rumor. Check the date, it was posted on 03.01.2002. This is way too early to have a PS2 exclusive be done on the Xbox.

15. gaishou

gaishou Well-Known Member

online play would be great. is it a possibility? not without issues. theres the nice probability of lag with online games. especially fighting games, where critical timing is essential.

16. Deniz

Deniz Well-Known Member

Sayow, That is old news and probably a rumor.

Of course it's old news; that was the point of my post. And of course it's a rumor since it wasn't confirmed by SEGA. Has anything happened subsequently to dispel the rumor? No. If anything, the EGM article that provoked this thread strengthened it. The original source of the rumor is a very highly credible one. Are you familiar with it? The rumor was also mentioned in the EGM Quartermann gossip column, which as far as gossip columns go, has a relatively (but not totally) good record.

Check the date, it was posted on 03.01.2002.

He knows that. It's exactly what I said when I referred him to the article. Did you read my post?

This is way too early to have a PS2 exclusive be done on the Xbox.

Huh? It's not in the least bit too early for a Virtua Fighter game to be in development for the Xbox. Not in the least. Especially if it is not VF4...You seemed to have missed the whole point of my posts...It was (and is) probably too early though for an official announcement of the work, which explains why Yu was so hesitant in the EGM article.

It amazes me how many are in denial. Although nothing is certain, this is one speculation that is too well grounded not to be taken seriously.

17. Marginal

Marginal Well-Known Member

If it was actually based on info past the first hints months ago then yes, this would be hard to ignore. As it is however, we have nothing from Sega, just a vague noncomment from Yu Suzuki as "proof"

Given the Japanese tendency to never want to say no outright, sounds like he's just trying to be polite about saying no by deferring the question. Not the best proof in the world.