1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

El Blaze Help

Discussion in 'El Blaze' started by Voltaige, Apr 6, 2013.

?

Is El Blaze a low-tier warrior?

1. Yes

11.8%
  2. No

41.2%
  3. That shouldn't matter

47.1%
  1. Voltaige

Voltaige Active Member

XBL:
    Voltaige
    Yo! Every time I'm in a fight with somebody it seems like Blaze just moves slower than everyone else. Like he has he has some of the slowest moving punches and kicks in the game because i keep getting out hit by like Lei, Aoi, Pai, Lau, Jacky, Kage, and Shun every freaken time! Also what moves are safe on block? Like if i throw it out and they block, it is difficult/near impossible to counter attack with? Blaze has like no good mix up combos, aside from like [4_] [6_][P][P][P][2_][K], he doesn't have much of anything. His Tiger step is like total trash, no evasive properties, slow as dirt, and the moves that come out of it do little damage. I love Blaze to death and I'd to see my Favorite character fall to these other characters because the others have superior moves. What should I do to step my game up!?!

2. Rare_Entity

Rare_Entity Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Rare_Entity
    XBL:
    Rare Entity
    I'm not sure why you would think this. His basic striking attacks are average in terms of frames. I couldn't say for sure without watching you play but you may be attempting to attack at disadvantage.

This may be an unsatisfying answer but you should probably start trying to memorize frame data.

The thing to remember with Blaze is that he is a wrestler, albeit a very unconventional one. His close range mix ups are usually between mid attacks and throws with a few guard breaks.

Tiger step is typically meant to pressure a tech rolling opponent rather than one who is standing. It would be overpowered if it had defensive properties. Applying tiger step correctly will usually make your opponent hesitant to tech roll allowing you to attempt a ground throw, down attack or in some instances allow you to scrape more damage off of a knocked down opponent.

It would be difficult for me to tell you what you need to improve on without having seen you play but if you have any more specific questions I'll try to answer them as best I can.

Voltaige likes this.
  3. Voltaige

Voltaige Active Member

XBL:
    Voltaige
    WOW, thanks! Big help, I saw you awhile back fight Tricky, in fact I still have your video of you vs Tricky Favorited so I can watch it over to get some tips.

4. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    Learn to us some basic mixups and you'll find yourself doing much better.

Things like doing [P] then [6][P] can halt so much and is effective at any level of play. The mixup is that once they begin to respect the elbow you can use throws instead

Always think with "elbow or throw" in mind, that is the most fundamental mixup in the game. All the other flashy nonsense can come later.

It's a good idea to check thw top ten moves thread as it can help you see what other Blaze players like to use and usually why they like to use them. Take a look at each of these moves in the dojo and get a feel for them. People consider them key moves for a reason.

Stripping him back to the bare essentials here are the things that you should use regularly and often when starting with blaze:

[P][K] - Basic punch kick, leaves you at +4 on hit allowing you to apply that basic mid/throw mixup.

[2][P] - the fastest move he has. on hit it allows you to use that mid/throw mixup once again very useful for stopping someone from overwhelming you with strings. You'll find that the more a player respects this movebin their playstyle the better they will be. It is the great equaliser.

[6][P] - Your fastest mid aka "elbow". Use this at advantage, it is safe and is fast enough that you''ll beat out most offensive options when you have advantage. So after you hit someone with any of these moves which lead to a mid/throw mixup or after you block something your opponent does. (There are exceptions but worry about them later)

THROW - He has a bunch of them, learn to do at least one of input throws ending in each direction. Mix uo with that elbow and when you do throws don't always go for the same one!

[K]+[G] - full circular, if your opponent evades a lot use this. On hit use mid/throw mixup.

These tools alone along with some basic defense will helo you understand the flow of the game much more quickly as you will be playing very 'clean' if thay makes any sense. Don't worry so much about doing huge combos or crazy half rocket discharge, backturned, neutral jump mixups as they will only slow you down.

If you are able to upload any videos of you playing or anyone else is able to do it for you then I'm sure myself and the guys here would be hapoy to help out!

Voltaige likes this.
  5. YOMI

YOMI not a legendary game designer

PSN:
    buttoi-man
    This actually isn't true, you can't force nitaku at +4 as they will be able to fuzzy, even Taka. What you can do, however, is either immediate low throw to outright beat fuzzy or delayed normal throw to catch it. Course they can always abare or evade, which in case 8P+K is great if they like to mash 2P, or the delayed throw option again as it will also catch a failed evade or ECD.

As for full circulars, I'd almost say to use 4PK over K+G as that string is pretty ridiculous; The first punch is already a circular and the following kick is a mid full circular, which is -13 on block but that don't mean shit because you can either continue to 4PKP to beat any PK punishment attempt, or go into RD for a mixup if they freeze afterwards due to 4PKP. Mindgames! Course they can just 2P after 4PK to punish it as 4PKP is high, but who does that?

PS. Voted Blaze as low tier warrior. Deal with it.

6. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    I see how you took what is a very basic introduction to a character and the game mehanics and attempted to over complicate it.

Gj

Elite likes this.
  7. YOMI

PSN:
    buttoi-man
    I took your basic introduction with false information and corrected it. No matter if you're trying to instruct a beginner you shouldn't give wrong information even under the threat of said beginner getting scared by the wealth of it, the sooner they learn the ropes the better they can become.

8. Ash_Kaiser

Ash_Kaiser Marly you no good jabroni I make you humble... Bronze Supporter

Yes, because everything in this paragraph will be understandable to someone who barely knows the system.

Simplify, man, simplify.

Elite likes this.
  9. YOMI

PSN:
    buttoi-man
    If they barely know the system, that's what the Wiki is for, or the other countless repositories of knowledge this forum holds.

10. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    But you said nothing that isn't already in the wiki. If you're not going to help someone understand it, why not just leave a link, Yomi?

And he said apply not force. You can still apply Nitaku at +4. Mid/throw mix up is still very valid there. The fact there is an option that covers both basic offensive choices doesn't invalidate them.

Elite likes this.
  11. YOMI

PSN:
    buttoi-man
    Well you're right, next time I'll just point straight to the Wiki. Maybe my inner writer got a little loose there.

And of course you're right about nitaku "working" from +4, just that fuzzy negates it completely so it's kind of pointless to apply it and thus also pointless to advice it.

12. blossy1000

blossy1000 Well-Known Member

But if you never do normal throws at +4, why would anyone keep fuzzying and eating low throws?

Sozos, MarlyJay and Elite like this.
  13. Voltaige

Voltaige Active Member

XBL:
    Voltaige
    I'll try to upload a fight or 2 here and there so I can get some pointers. Anybody know how I can go about uploading these videos? Like any software I need?

14. 001

001 Well-Known Member Content Mgr El Blaze

i made simple blaze punishment vids if you want to see where you have advantage on punishing attacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4VT2l69MCg&list=PL599500E166EB33F2

keep in mind though that some attacks have followup attacks that can hit you out of your attack. i just added everything that was able to be punished if the attacker stops with that particular move. also some moves can be punished with bigger hits but i just wanted to keep things simple, for example many punishes that i use p+kpp with can also be punished with 2_6p+k if you can buffer it fast enough.

15. Voltaige

Voltaige Active Member

XBL:
    Voltaige
    Thanks man, I'mma check it out.

16. cmase1989

cmase1989 Well-Known Member

el blaze is certainly not slow. Your back forward punch is 13 frames but ducks under highs for 5 frames. Also your up P+K hops over low attacks even at being negative 5 frames. I use these moves quite a bit, sounds like youre missing them from your game!

17. Phoxx

Phoxx Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Phoxx__
    XBL:
    Phoxx 3D
    Here are a couple matches of Shironuko taking out some of the top Japanese players at Evo 2012 with his El Blaze -- definitely not a slow character, but he has a bunch of slow and unsafe moves. Mashing and/or finishing strings will definitely leave you open for punishment. El Blaze is more of a glass cannon, high damage potential, but also high risk. Lots of good tech in these videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYSF_62N888

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPSzZWLW_Nc

cmase1989 likes this.
  18. cmase1989

cmase1989 Well-Known Member

unrelated i need help with sometime! what does blaze do against characters with otg stances (example vanessa. shun and lei feis attacks while lying on the ground). I find the only reliable thing is 2p but id like something better to scare them out of doing it. thanks!

19. Phoxx

Phoxx Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Phoxx__
    XBL:
    Phoxx 3D
    2p is a pretty good option, and it will float her enough for a 6pk or even k k k if you're in the right stance (I believe it's closed stance). If I really want to discourage someone, I'll use jumping p, which is fun and pretty demoralizing. I've found a backdash into 9p works pretty consistently and beats most of vanessa's options from her ground stance. Haven't tried it too much on shun or lei.

20. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    I wouldn't recommend 2P against Vanessa. The low punch/kick sabaki guarantees 3P+K (easy 74 damage). If you have advantage use a move that hits off the ground. If you don't, evade crouch dash cancel towards her FRONT.