1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Electric Cancel 4: World tourney... Oct. 26th

Discussion in 'Tournaments and Events' started by Kid, Oct 18, 2002.

1. Kid

Kid New Member

This is a copy and paste from tomhilfiger over at Tekkenzaibatsu.com...

-yes... this is it... it's finally here.

Electriccancel.com is proud to present another fine tourney to the tekken community. We'd also like to thank castel and tekkenzaibatsu because if there was no tz, there wouldn't have been ec.

So mark your calendars... October 26th...

UPDATE!!!

TEKKEN 4/ TEKKEN TAG/ VIRTUA FIGHTER 4 will be the tournaments held at EC4.

RULES:

T4 : 3/5 rounds 2/3 games.
    TTT: 2/3 rounds 2/3 games... depending how many machines we can have setup, it might change to 3/5 rounds.
    VF4: 3/5 rounds 2/3 games...

Of course, the amount of games played will change to 3/5 for all games starting from quarterfinals, and 4/7 for the finals. ALL games will be DOUBLE ELIM. Also... MADDOGJIN is supposedly very good at VF4 also, so it'll be good for all you VF4 players out there to try your skills against a good player from out of state.

LOCATION/TIME:

X-TOPIA ARCADE
    3300 W. 8th St. 2nd floor
    Los Angeles CA 90005

TOURNEY WILL BEGIN AT 12 PM SHARP... sign ups start at 9:00 AM... so be there ON TIME. We will NOT wait for neone that are late. If you guys DO come late, and if there's ANY spot left in losers, that's where you'll begin at.

PRICE : 15 dollars PER tournament... not much of a price considering you get to test your skills against the top players in the world.

TWO of the top tekken 4 players from korea will also be joining us at this tourney.

1. Maddog jin... as I'm sure you guys all have heard his name... he's the best player in korea, and maybe even the best in the world. Korea has proven it from time to time that they're the best in the world... but can they do it again?

2. Hiroko... one of the top 3 players from korea... his execution and understanding of the game is at par with maddog jin. His TTT skills are also unmatched in korea. He's a top mishima/jacks player in korea. He's hoping to take away another US title in TTT.

So will the US players be able to stop the koreans this time around?? Will it be JOP, the east coast sensation? Insanelee, the national champ? or Redfoot, with his amazing steve?

or .... are we going to be proven wrong once again by koreans taking 1st and 2nd respectively....

Everyone will get a shot at the title, but only one will come out at the top...

If you have something to prove... this is your chance to do it... and to do it against the bests from around the world.

On October 26th, the battle will begin...

Tekken tag...

tekken 4...

Now... plan your trip and test your skills against the best!-

Now the reason I posted this is because players in that area can test their skill against some formatable Koreans in VF4...
    See you there...
    /versus/images/icons/grin.gif

Kid

2. Shou

Shou Well-Known Member

tomhilfiger posted about this before. I can tell you that very few of the skilled VF players around NA are going to attend. Perhaps a handful will show up like the SoCal crew but most will not. /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif

3. Hyun_

Hyun_ Well-Known Member

I say "good" players are the ones who play.

I would like to say that those who live close should attend an event like this. I would have definitely been there if I lived anywhere in West Coast. How many times did we bitch that Sega or whoever is not doing enough to promote VF through tourneyes and what not. Now this is not Sega but the organizer behind EC are about the next best thing as of now.

Also I assure that no players from across the pond are going to fly across to join a 20 people gathering. If you want any remote chance whatsoever to have a famous Japanese or Korean VF players flown over here, support an event like this. Don't let a Korea Tekken player stomp over the competition and go back to Korea and tell everyone that all US Vf players are scrubs!

4. Shou

Shou Well-Known Member

Hyun:
    I've traveled to 4 VF events this year, 3 of them halfway across the country from where I'm at. I had to use vacation days and buy $200-300 plane tickets in the past to play pretty much the same people on different coasts. /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif That's not to say that I didn't enjoy those gatherings but I don't see the point of it this time around. I imagine it would just be the SoCal guys (spotlite, mike92123, etc) and some FL guys. None of the Bay Area players plan on attending. It doesn't seem like anyone from the Boston or NYC crew are coming either. So, you have probably the majority of the nation's best players not attending. At this point, I can't justify taking vacation and spending $250+ on a ticket to play only a handful of people and maybe 1 good Korean player. (No offense to the players going but seeing as how Cali players are coming off of Evo, it's probably not as appealing to them too)

5. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

I'd have to agree with Shou here, especially on the point that this is a VF4 PS2 event. Had it been an Evo tournament - different story. We just had our first Toronto Evo tourney, and should there be an NYG4 in a month's time with 100 people there, on the *PS2* ? - there's just no way I'd want to go.

cheers,

6. Hyun_

Hyun_ Well-Known Member

My original reply was not completely directed at Shou but, I still have two points to make:

1. If you don't want to go fine, but you don't have to go out of your way to discoruage others from attending! (Precisely why shou's post irked me. I would really like to say more but I better clamp down.)

2. Don't we play this game for competition, not for newst trend or such? If there were one hundred people coming to the VF4 event and 8 guys paying Evo I will play Vf4 without hesitation. If I was in Korea or other places in Asia and I had to choose between playing ver B against dozens of people in arcade and playing Ver C against home against no one but my brother or something I will go the arcade and play ver B. But well each to its own.

7. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    First, I agree with your points.

Second, an update of what I know regarding SoCal people's attendance...

Catherine and I plan to compete, we are bringing Brisal73 with us, and Mike92123 has expressed interest in attending. Spotlite mentioned he was going to check out x-topia.

I haven't heard from other players that I know of (vf4akira, andy, joey, gribbly, harlock, Sol_fizZ, eric) regarding their plans. I haven't attempted to contact them about EC4 either. It would be nice to see at least the west coast (SoCal, Bay Area) people that attended the 2002 E3 tournament make an appearance. I do realize that E3 was the main draw for the tournament and EC4 may not have that kind of pull. However, the EC4 tournament features at least one Korean VF4 player, plus some of the NYG3 competitors from Florida (if they still plan to make it out here). I read that Blonde_one was considered the winner of NYG3 based on the seeding matches - he stated his intent to come all the way out here. Meeting/playing him and the other Floridians is my main reason to go to EC4. I don't see a more convenient chance to do this [I do realize that Mike92123 and Shou-sama played Blonde in NYG3, so this point may not be their concern - but at least this tournament is only six hours from the Bay Area, it's not like it's being held on the moon (although, that might be more convenient for Shou)].

Hope to see you all there,

Plague]CWA[

8. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    Double post, sorry.

9. imf

imf Well-Known Member

Sorry Plague, Blondie and I are no longer able to make it to EC4. /versus/images/icons/frown.gif It's a huge disappointment for us. I wish all the SoCal guys the best as well as the rest of the US players.

ps: Blondie won the actual NYG3 tournament, which was shortened to single elimination due to the slo-mo-ness. The seeding rankings were left in Ad's dad's car, but the top four were 1. IMF 90% 2. Adam Yuki 89% 3. Blonde_one 89% 4. Hiro 85%....unfortunately the rest of the rankings were never recovered, preventing Llan from posting complete results.... /versus/images/icons/confused.gif

10. Shou

Shou Well-Known Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    If you don't want to go fine, but you don't have to go out of your way to discoruage others from attending!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, my post may seem to be discouraging attendance of EC4 but what I want to make very clear to people here and the Tekken players from TZ is that US VF will not be well represented there so I don't want to hear them say how weak it is, etc. I've talked with most of the players that attended NYG3 and when 99% of them are not going to EC4 that should be noted. This event is clearly focused on Tekken so I don't expect very much in VF play which is one reason why I am not attending.

11. stompoutloud

stompoutloud Well-Known Member

I wish I could still go. But my reasons are different. Moving my parents back from Taiwan is harder than I thought. Gosh, all the things I need to do on a new house. Geez. Could of just done with an older house. lol. I wish I could go. Perhaps things might change at the last minute.

12. Mike90210

Mike90210 Well-Known Member

Count me out as well since it seems that no one else is going. I dont want to spend $15 just to play people that I play all the time. I doubt that the Korean guy will even play VF4 that much since hes such a famous T4 player...

13. Akebono

Akebono Well-Known Member

I believe the era of VF being that other 3d fighting game at Tekken Tournaments is over. We want our own tourneys and we arent going to show up at other tourneys, just cause they say they will have VF.

14. Blondie

Blondie Well-Known Member

Pablo =/...shut up...

Tekken players will forever outnumber VF players, especially in America. I would have gladly gone to EC4. In fact there were a few guys at rockies this evening going with JOP from atlanta to EC4. I talked with them and they ALL seemed interested in my VF play. Granted, I was playing Ver.B and on bad controls. But they were really drawn to VF and its gameplay. I say if you want recognition as a VF player, get VF players FIRST! And by going to EC4, I would be helping promote VF4. Delete your post or something. And try to refrain from using the "WE" in your posts, thanx.

15. Akebono

Akebono Well-Known Member

I delete nothing

16. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    Well, I think in the end that at least Andy, Joey, Joey's cousin, Plague, Catherine and I will be there. Along with MAD DOG JIN, DUDE!!!

At first, I was a little turned off about playing for money and having to revert back to Ver. C as we had an Evo machine here until about 2 weeks ago. But as we've reverted back anyway, and there's talk of using the money towards our Evo machine (or just giving it back to our friends), I think it'll be okay. I hope a lot of people DO play.

I think I was really pumped up about the whole tournament thing back before the E3 tournament, but after that and going back to Japan for a month, then hearing the reports from NYG, I didn't really care anymore. I guess I'm most concerned with getting better technically. Maybe playing in tournaments is part of that, I don't know...

So, see you saturday.

Spotlite

PS Mike 92123 I hope you can get David to bring you or something, you guys should come. No one can compete with the Weird Zone /versus/images/icons/crazy.gif

17. vf4akira

vf4akira Well-Known Member

I'm still not sure if i even want to make the trek up to LA to play. Ever since Evo disappeared, I haven't felt like playing VF at all, let alone video games. The shitty gaming scene in the US has taken it's toll on me and honestly, not being able to play at my leisure really makes games not worth playing.

WIth that said, I might go to EC4. If Mike changes his mind and wants to go, I'll go. Plus, I'd need to drive anyway for him to go. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

18. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Well... I'd encourage anyone who can go to go. In fact, I would have liked to have gone except work and school suffers quite a bit this term if I do go... That and I haven't been practicing at all *sigh*

As far as the promotion of VF4 goes... I'm always one to say go for it, but also feel that if anything was to spark non-VF players into VF4 at EC4, it wouldn't be much more than Street Fighter 3: Third Strike at the East Coast Championships(?) last year in 2001. I saw a lot of people really kick in their interest to Third Strike after that (including VFDC's own Myke), but never saw much of anyone actually choose to devote themselves to the game for more than a month or two.

But it's still a VERY NICE idea and intention to come as close as we can to representing VF4 in a Tekken environment. Besides, I'm idealistic (and overly hopeful/stubborn) enough to insist that the tiniest difference matters.

To those going to EC4, hope you guys kick ass and represent well.

-Chanchai

19. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    It's good to see there will be representation from the best that Southern California has to offer.

Looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow,

Plague]CWA[

20. number 6

number 6 Active Member