1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Elevation

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by Shadowdean, Nov 16, 2000.

1. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

i think your whole post wasn't posted, chanchai.
    either that or this is in fact the shortest post
    you've ever made.

<font color=red>PICCOLO</font color=red>

2. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

/images/icons/smile.gif

3. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

OK, sorry for the hostile sounding reply Shota - but I really do think that my argument has validity. The level at which you have mastered a games nuances does not determine if can make a prediction of what might make the game more fun. What would qualify to make this assertion would be spending a decent amount of time with the game - which I feel I have. I've been with the system since VF1 {which I thought was a novelty, but hated, vf2 is what got me}, and have been a religious player ever since. I've watched the game progress, and that is what I am basing my information on.

4. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

personally I think randomness is not at all fun. Anytime
    you want to square up against an opponent the last thing
    you want is a degree of the unknown to pop up at any point.
    Ideally you want to control the environment and all other
    variables to your utmost. This is why you'll sometimes see
    good opponents forsake a combo or stomp move to simply
    E and gain control of where they are standing in the ring.
    It creates more options. Randomness deletes options.

GE

5. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

>VF1 {which I thought was a novelty, but hated

oooohhhhggh

"novelty " !!!

whyyy....you....eerrrrgh...

vf1 is closer to vf3 than vf2 is in more than a few ways, ya know..

--
    "A chem bla deshembla blurr fuh bli fouzh"

6. Shadowdean

To me - I thought it was innovative - but just due to the loose feeling of the game - it came off as a novelty....if you want - I Could send you pills for that....

PLease explain how vf1 is closer in another thread...or here.

7. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

it's closer in the way characters move about. like vf3, and very unlike vf2, you're not allowed repeated buffered back dashing. back dashing is slower and shorter in distance, like vf3.

and like vf3, in vf1 your ability to buffer in moves during recovery time is very limited. to me this is where it feels most like vf3. in vf2 you could just wail on the move literally a half second early and the move would still come out.

and then there's option select. for example in vf2 with jacky/sarah if you did f,f+P you got an elbow, or a throw if you were close enough (among dozens of other examples, some really sickening). vf3 effectively eliminated this with the throw system. vf1 (seemingly) by design, didn't let you do it, either, although for not all moves. If jacky or sarah try a f,f+P outside of throw range, you get a single punch. in vf2 you could do d+P+G or P+G and get a throw or high/low punch. P+G outside of throw range in vf1 results in nothing.

like in vf3, high rising attacks don't knock down in vf1.

don't say that none of things really matter much or make a difference, because they do.

VF1 is as solid and fun as the rest, you just have to know how to play it. it's really amazingly detailed and "deep" as the others, once you learn about it. "novelty" really is a sickeningly horrible poor choice of a word for vf1.

--
    "A chem bla deshembla blurr fuh bli fouzh"

8. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

and then there's option select

Another example of the lack of option select is in
    Low throws: Doing Jeff's powerslam command (df+P+K+G)
    will get you nothing BUT the throw if the conditions
    are right. No low punch or low kick.

heh. Of course, sometimes it was the complete
    opposite. Pai is especially evil...doing b, f+P
    will get you a reversal or a throw or a high punch.
    If the punch is blocked or if it hits and you
    repeat the motion you might get tick throw. or
    a reversal or another high punch. We used to call
    this "Pai Punching".

it's closer in the way characters move about. like vf3, and very unlike vf2, you're not allowed repeated buffered back dashing. back dashing is slower and shorter in distance, like vf3.

Also...VF1 also had--in the right hands--the potential
    for very stylized, very effective movement just like in
    VF2 and 3. Although the back dash seemed limited in
    VF1, making use of this movement would enable you to
    double the range and defeat the stuttering involved in
    trying to back up quickly.

I still (obviously) love VF1. When two people who know
    and understand the system step up to the joysticks with
    their butchered button layout the result is fun,
    adrenalized competition.

Seriously.

GE

9. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

And one should definitely make clips of higher level play of VF1 and VF2/images/icons/smile.gif

Not to neglect VF3 at all, I definitely want more VF3 clips ('tis my greed for VF material in general), but not many people have seen higher level play of any of the VF games. VF2 is the closest... and btw, I'm speaking with regards to North America...

Hell, I haven't even a clue about high level play in VF1. Did I play it back in the day? Yeah, but that really means squat as many people probably know. Loved it though. If it's one thing that the VF games seem to stress in their design and execution... it's that the games have to be appreciated on a higher level...

On lower levels, the matches just look ugly... As my pal Ray said to a tekken-fanatic of a friend... at lower levels of play, VF can be extremely slow... at higher levels of play, it can be extremely fast paced... or something like that. I had to leave it to my imagination and "feel" about the games to really appreciate them as much as I did without even seeing high level play... but boy am I glad I stuck with the games!!!

10. Shadowdean

Hhmmm..perhaps - I put in a good half of year messing around with the game - but to me, when I could play samurai Showdown, and other fighters from that time - it just never seemed to be very tight - that is my perception.... personaly like how the game has progressed.

11. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

godeater, please put up your vf1 system 'faq',
    IMO it was REALLY well done. if anyone thinks
    it's a novelty after reading it then its
    pointless to keep talking. i remember reading it
    a long time ago and it made me go back and play a
    lot more. it will tell you there's more to vf1
    than you think.

ticking rules! ...not! <-- (i wonder who'll get
    this 'joke')

<font color=red>PICCOLO</font color=red>