1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Escaping combos while your back is turned

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by Zato, Apr 10, 2002.

1. Zato

Zato Member

There is a lesson for Lion in trial training that tells you after df+P+G if Lion follows with df+P, P both hits will connect if the opponent only holds G. However, it said that if he/she uses the directional pad to turn around first (and take the first hit) then they can guard the second hit (the move is not an automatic 2 hit combo). I know about this special method of avoiding attacks but only see its application to aid in the avoidance of multi-hit combos while your back is turned. I'm not sure it helps at all with one hit floaters.

Enter Akira. I am convinced that after f, b+P+G --> u/d --> P+K that a SDE is guaranteed and am quite certain this belief is upheld by most everyone on this site. However, I have heard even experts say that after b, df+P+G that nothing is guaranteed. It is stated that df+K comes close and in fact that is the move one of the Akira players uses in the Daioh 3-5 #2 movie. But someone please tell me how SDE is not guaranteed after that throw!!! I have recorded it in free training SEVERAL times where I was unable to block simply by holding G and I don't see how turning around first would help either. You can start to turn around, but never finish in time to block (its similar to when you put the CPU on counter hit and try SDE after f, b+P+G; it hits for KDS a lot of times because the CPU barely gets a move out, but they can't block).

For the record I am turning around by pressing toward the enemy. Should I press away instead? Is there a special way to block these back turned attacks? This same reasoning applies to Shun and Kage position change throws followed by a mid kick as well. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Bu_Jessoom

Bu_Jessoom Well-Known Member

Nothing is guaranteed after Akira's b, d/f +p+g throw, simply because, while it leaves you with a +11 frames of advantage, no moves in Akira's arsenal exectute in 11 frames, so no matter what you do after that throw, it's not guaranteed. In other words, Akira doesn't have a move fast enough to execute and hit after that throw.

3. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Not exactly correct, because you have to factor in the time it takes to turn around and guard (3-5 frames at least?), so it's more than 11 frames. I'm pretty sure Akira's sidekick is guaranteed after RBC, and there might be a couple of other moves that are guaranteed as well... it's both execution-frame and range dependent.

4. Bu_Jessoom

I tested that, and it seems you're right. But then that also makes other moves like m-dlplm and SDE guaranteed...?? I tried them, and the training CPU never seemed able to block them. Not to mention that they are both quicker than side kick.

For some reason, I've always thought since they were 'theoretically' not guaranteed to me, it was possible to avoid any followups for that throw, even if it meant dodging while back turned!! /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif I must have been wrong. Thanks for clearing that up... /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

5. SG-Lion

SG-Lion Well-Known Member

Hi Zato,

Just to feedback on Lion's d/f+P+G, follow-up by d/f+P,P is NOT a guaranteed combo. The second P is blockable. nowadays I follow-up with d/f+P, QCB+P+G. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif It is a guessing game after the d/f+P.

SG-Lion

6. Bu_Jessoom

Hmm, now I am thinking: Would Aoi be able to blind-reverse Akira's side kick after his b, d/f+p+g ? If so, then it's not guaranteed on her, is it? /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

7. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure Aoi can do her back turned reverse after Akira's RBC. It's no different from Aoi reversing Kage's DP after his f+P+G throw.

8. MrWhite

MrWhite Well-Known Member

If your playing with Akira vs. Akira and your opp. RBCs you into a SDE on the regular, do a knee after you get RBC'ed. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

9. MrWhite

MrWhite Well-Known Member

If your playing with Akira vs. Akira and your opp. RBCs you into a SDE on the regular, do a knee after you get RBC'ed. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

10. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

I've seen the sidekick blocked in clips, but I'm not sure if it's a fluke or just difficult to pull off. If you couldn't buffer turning towards the opponent and blocking, then you might never see it blocked just because there's that very small handful of frames where you must time it. If buffering is possible, then the clip I saw was probably just a fluke, the akira forgot to buffer or whatever...