1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Escaping Wolf's DM P+K

Discussion in 'Wolf' started by Happy_Friend, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Zass

Zass Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Zass30
    Reposting my original question here instead of in a new thread:

Sorry if this is a very basic topic, but I thought I'd start a thread on this, since many people seem to get caught by dmpk by wolf. I'd like to find out what the official way to throw this is.

A friend and I were experimenting with it, and here's what I found. I was able to do:

[3] [3] [P] [+] [K] [+] [G] (this did a low throw)
    [6] [3] [2] [1] [4] [P] [+] [G] (this ended up being a throw escape)

What didn't seem to work was
    [1] [1] [P] [+] [K] [+] [G] (I got caught by the dmpk)
    [4] [1] [2] [3] [6] [P] [+] [G] (I got caught by the dmpk)

I've also seen a video where a wolf did a KS throw against a DMPK. So it seems that sometimes you can low throw, sometimes you can high throw.

I'd like to know what the rules are for when you can low/high throw. I understand you can always escape, but I'd like to do something that does more damage [​IMG]

So I thought I'd just post here and ask.. what are the rules for beating dmpk? Do you low throw? High throw? Does direction matter? Does timing matter if you're doing a high or low throw?

2. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

As explained in this thread, a quick input of [4][P]+[G] and [6][P]+[G] is all you need to escape both of the throws on your sides from his DM P+K.

Wolf's DM P+K has frames where he's considered crouching so all low throws will work if you catch him at the right time.

When he's doing the actual grab animation you can duck under it and retaliate with a throw (high) of your own or a launcher like Akira's [4][6][P].

Aerial attacks also seem to beat it outright, jumping attacks will work for this or aerial moves like Wolf's [9][P]+[K].

3. Dennis0201

Dennis0201 Well-Known Member

Wolf's DMPK can be interrupted by either standing throws or low throws. But the question is why would you want to throw it? It only happens when you predict it.

4. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

Ducking under the grab part of his DM P+K and responding with a throw or launcher can be done on reaction, i'm guessing it's not the same if you want to low throw him though.

I'd prefer to duck under the grab part and [4][6][P] him since my character is incapable of much else [​IMG]

5. Zass

Zass Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Zass30
    Why wouldn't it be the same if you want to low throw him? It seems a low throw would be the best option (most damage), wouldn't it?

6. Dennis0201

DMPK happens when your opponents evade your attack, and rest of the window usually won't let you do throw against it. And that's why I'm confused what kind of situation you would like to throw a DMPK? If you are talking about you stand there and EXACTLY know the DMPK is coming, then both regular and low throws are workable.

Btw, what you mentioned above [6] [3] [2] [1] [4] [P] [+] [G] came out to be an escape, and that's because your last input [4] [P] [+] [G] refer that.

7. Kamais_Ookin

Kamais_Ookin Well-Known Troll

PSN:
    Kyooboona
    XBL:
    Kamais Ookin
    Landing a low throw would be nice but it isn't easy at all compared to ducking under the grab part of DM P+K and doing guaranteed damage on reaction. Someone correct me if my reasoning is wrong.

8. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    It's not the same for a few reasons:

1. Wolf is only considered crouching during the initial phase of the DMPK. This is why I mentioned to you in my PM that you need god-like reaction times to see and react to a DMPK with a low throw. The time to react to making a DMPK whiff then punishing is considerably more generous, and that's what Feck was referring to.

2. Wolf has to be within range for your low throw to connect. Remember that Wolf covers a large distance with his DMPK, so he might not be doing it when he's toe-to-toe.

3. Finally, a low throw is not the best punishment damage wise. I'm sure most, if not all, characters are capable of dealing a more damaging combo as punishment in comparison.

So there's nothing wrong with exploring these little niche opportunities, but at the end of the day, while a low throw can work under the right conditions, it's a very obscure way of protecting yourself against Wolf's DMPK.

Most of the time, Wolf's going to be DMPKing during his disadvantage during which you'll probably be attacking him. Training yourself to react once caught in a DMPK with a DTE is an infinitely more useful skill to learn IMHO.

9. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

Or listening/observing the audio cue of his grunt during the startup... IF your willing to train your reflexes to pick up on this method.

10. KingofcarnageVF

KingofcarnageVF Well-Known Member

What bothers me is that most dmpk'ers use is after half circle pp wwich i feel is a safe move because its hard to duck the second hit

11. Dennis0201

Did you mean to duck from screw hook? Basically if you can't duck that regular attack, it's more difficult to duck against DMPK.

12. Dennis0201

Yeah, listening the audio cue is a good way to help you react immediately. I didn't believe that until one of friend show me how to bock between Lion's low sweep and standing full circle, and I was like WTF it is possible.

13. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    I used to be a firm believer in audio cues too -- until I played in a loud arcade where I could barely hear the audio at all. [​IMG]

Personally, I always use the visual cue.

14. Dennis0201

I think the voice cue is one specific example against Lion. It's difficult for me to bock 6K+G,3K+G,1K+G,2K+G, and 43P at some great range away. [​IMG] However, my friend showed me that voice cue is the key, and he has nothing worry about those.

15. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    That's cool Dennis! Whatever works, use it! [​IMG]

And I'm not suggesting that I can 100% defend Lion's spin kick mixup game either! [​IMG]

16. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

Your right... I've been playing this long enough now to pick up it though.

17. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Same here. I have played in many places where the audio was hardly audible. Usually a bigger tournament. If you only play at home, I guess audio cues are ok.
    but

Dennis: if what you say about Lion mixup is true, then at least I have to research this. Thanks for letting me know.

18. Dennis0201

Yeah, Lion makes a different pussy noise for his low attacks.
    For example, if you react well, you can apply this voice cue to block his 6K+G and 3K+G in a effective way.

19. Chief_Flash

Chief_Flash Well-Known Member

XBL:
    T1L ALL AR3 0N3
    HAHAHA! PUSSY NOISE FTW! [​IMG]