1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Euro Gathering report Day 1

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Gnug315, May 19, 2001.

1. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

> You shouldn't base his gameplay much on what I say about it.

i don't...just started as a question about why people even bother with the combo. saw it at ny a few times. thassall.

2. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

> Someone mentioned to me they talk about him on the jap forums, a year after he last played there. Maybe there's a reason?

he`s tall, he`s black, he wears glasses, he`s european and he plays in japan a lot!! so, what do they say about ryan on japanese forums?

3. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Goes back to the arguement where Jacky players tend to focus on nothing but elbow->heelkick

effective and boring
    and it win games.

<font color=red>~~~SummErs' 'enemy SPODED, enemy DOWN~~~'

4. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

jackys who refuse to use his elbow (and spinkick followup) are pretty foolish imo. it is clearly one of his most effective attacks, and it's the reason people fear jacky so much. it's the equivalent to a taka player saying, 'every other taka player uses punches, maybe i'll just use kicks!'
    sheer stupidity.

5. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

the answer to jan's rhetorical question was that he is still mentioned because he is a non-japanese guy who is very good at the game...(and did well in japan).....
    i think you missed that point, ice :p

6. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

I mentioned Jacky as an example only because
    a)rsw thinks there are better/non boring combos
    b)ryan believes that if that combo helps to win, why use others

See the distinction?

U definitely can say what u feel abt ppl who should and should not use in a game.

After all...it's a personal opinion.

But try not to attack a player by calling him/her foolish.
    Just because I have other preferences doesn't make me foolish.

7. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

other preferences? i'm sorry freddie, but the lightning kicks simply cannot compare with the all round goodness of the elbow-heelkick.
    it doesn't have to be abused, but it is good enough to warrant regular usage :)

8. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

in this instance...I'm not talking abt the lighting kick

For all the wonders the lighting kicks does to help boost ego n confidence...

It will only work on specific situations, conditions etc

And since u're tinkering with Jacky urself, U won't need me to tell u that he's got many other moves that makes the elbow->heelkick unspecial

9. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

'unspecial' perhaps (not spectacularly original), but it is still extremely effective.
    it is the single biggest reason jacky is called cheap, which means it works! :p

10. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Precisely why I dun use it
    So that I dun hear ppl go *oh what a cheap Jacky player this guy is* to me.

This is getting pointless...my view against ur view...

ppl might think us two are actually arguing~

11. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

technically, we are arguing, but it doesn't mean we dislike one another, does it? :)
    anyways, like you said, let's leave it at that. each to his own....

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Cool info, Ryan plays alot more than I would have suspected, I thought ryan hasn't played in years, If Ryan played about a year ago in japan, then his skills should still be quite good if he did play with the best and won some. I thikn all of us would like the chance to play Ryan. Now that you all says he's so good, the better opportunity is for Ryan to come to the states and play us. There are simply too many of us to fly everyone over to europe, but since Ryan so far seems to be the strongest player, it would make in some economical sense to have ryan come here to play us. :) We'd definately arrange a great VF time for him!

Ryan would have everyone on the the board I hope ;) to look forward to playing.

CrewNYC

13. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    I don't mean to incite a flame war, but from what *I've* heard, what they posted about Ryan on the Japanese message board wasn't very positive at all.

To quote it loosely, something along the lines of, "There is this European guy there...and he SUCKED!" (compared to the really good Japanese regulars).

<font color=red>Jyunen hayaindayo!</font color=red>

<font color=white>adam</font color=white><font color=red>YUKI</font color=red>

14. Gnug315

Gnug315 Well-Known Member

He's played and done very well against the best of them. Anyone saying he sucks is clearly lying.

15. Gnug315

Gnug315 Well-Known Member

He's very, very interested in going to US to play VF. As of yet he has no funds to do so tho, so if it were to happen, you guys would all have to chip and pay his airfare. If I were you, I'd definately do it ... the cost wouldn't be much per person, and you'd be treated to quite the eyeopener.

He's going to California, I think LA, on June 16th for a Tekken tourney (his trip sponsored by someone/something in Amsterdam). Maybe you could arrange something while he's there. I'll try and get him online on wednesday to respond to any ideas you have.

- Jan

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Sounds interesting Jan,

But I dont know if I can get the other VF'ers to contribute to Ryan coming over here. I'm not all too surprised that Ryan won the way he did. He hasn't been playing the game for about a year, thats not too bad at all a break. If it had been three years or so, then I would be hard pressed to say that he can play competatively with us. You can tell Ryan that we play with people who play with the japanese players and know how good they are. If Ryan can beat them, he is not only as good as us, he is probably alot better. There's not much room to go though, Shota said to me he consideres that there is a level in between the experts in VF in japan and the level he is at. I would think Ryan probably fits in that mid-level.

CrewNYC

17. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    If Ryan can beat them, he is not only as good as us, he is probably alot better.

OMFG!!!!!!! Is this you Andy? It can't be?!?! Teheheheh

<font color=red>Jyunen hayaindayo!</font color=red>

<font color=white>adam</font color=white><font color=red>YUKI</font color=red>

18. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

> the answer to jan's rhetorical question was that he is still mentioned because he is a non-japanese guy who is very good at the game...(and did well in japan).....
    i think you missed that point, ice :p

Or maybe I know something you don't. :p

19. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Eh, Adam let the cat out of the bag. Basically, I thought it was funny that Gnug used the Japanese message board thing as a way to hype Ryan when the message board thing wasn't exactly positive, though I do think negative attention means more than no attention at all.

I have seen Ryan play (and played him twice) and I do want to see a Ryan-Adam matchup. I think it'll be a great one. :)