1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Euro VF Gathering in Amsterdam, 29-30 August, 2009

Discussion in 'Tournaments and Events' started by Krye, May 5, 2009.

1. MP

MP Well-Known Member

PSN:
    MonkeypunchVF
    Nevermind [​IMG]

2. Jeneric

Jeneric Well-Known Member

That's right, me and Bob are coming and expects to leave a trail of dead behind us on our way back to Stockholm!

Just a suggestion about tourney format: Since it's double elimination it would IMO be best if the number of matches to win would be kept the the same all the way through the tournament including the grand finals, otherwise it just creates a weird imbalance in number of matches needed to win for the guy coming from loser's finals.

3. Krye

Krye French Star Player

PSN:
    KryeMeARiver
    XBL:
    Krye NL
    Good suggestion! I suppose that would work just fine, at least during bracket play. For now, if we include your suggestion, the tournament would look like this as far as games needed to win go:

Group Play would be best of 3 games.

I really want to have a group stage, since I want to get a proper seeding going. I could seed based on my experience playing against everyone, but I want to do it as objective as possible. I'd do it using tournament results, but there's simply not enough results to make that viable.

Then we'd do a best of 5 for bracket play? I want to do best of 5, since that'd be best for getting reliable results. But on the other hand, it'd take a lot of time to finish. Time we could also use to play casuals... Solutions would be to either play best of 3 in bracket play also, or to have only a certain number of people advance from group play. I don't like dropping people based on group play, so I'd rather not do that, but maybe it'll be necessary.

I'd rather not spend more than 6 hours on the tournament, so I can't say what we'll go for until we have a better look on how many people are gonna show up.

Also, I'm planning to provide more of a challenge than I did last time, so be ready!

4. Jeneric

Jeneric Well-Known Member

I suggest best of 1 in group play just to determine seeding (no one gets dropped) and then best of 3 throughout double elimination brackets. Although some might consider this a low amount of matches, I think that with both group play and double elimination in place you get plenty of "safety net" if you get an unusually hard match up. In my experience too many matches makes the individual rounds lose some of their nerve and excitement, especially in a double elimination format.

5. Krye

Krye French Star Player

PSN:
    KryeMeARiver
    XBL:
    Krye NL
    I suppose that would work, too. Nice observation about the intensity of matches, you're totally right about that!

So looking forward to this!

6. Vortigar

Vortigar Well-Known Member

Okay, I'm back from my vacation and got home wanting to play some fighting games.

Then I realized I hadn't made my entry here official yet.

So there it is, another warm body to get iced that particular weekend. 53 days should give me some prep time though.

edit:
    Let's do this properly then
    Nickname: Vortigar
    Real Name: Maurits d'Anjou (don't expect me to be fluid in French but I do drink wine)
    Character: Brad + half a Lion and a quarter of Goh
    Natural Habitat: This particular species of fowl can be found in the wild in the remote town of Eerbeek some miles from a larger colony the locals call Apeldoorn. Situated in the middle of the forests of the so-called Veluwe this species tends to be good at climbing trees and is particular to strolling about randomly.

7. Krye

Krye French Star Player

PSN:
    KryeMeARiver
    XBL:
    Krye NL
    Haha, I automatically put every Dutch guy down as confirmed [​IMG] .

Good to see you're still here, though [​IMG] .

8. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Its starting to strongly look like I wont have money to travel this summer. Sorry.

That is, if theres no business trip at the same time.

9. Krye

Krye French Star Player

PSN:
    KryeMeARiver
    XBL:
    Krye NL
    Sad to hear that, man [​IMG] .

How would having a business trip help?

Plague has updated the opening post for me, MP_Lupin has created an awesome banner, so it has some more style. Also, the list of players has now been added to the opening post, instead of it just containing a link to the list.

Thanks to MP_Lupin and Plague for helping out!

10. NGKrush

NGKrush Well-Known Member

PSN:
    de_kroet
    XBL:
    de kroet
    now all we need is some frontpage love!! *hint* *hint* [​IMG]

11. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Im not paying for it. Rather, I get money from it..

12. Krye

Krye French Star Player

PSN:
    KryeMeARiver
    XBL:
    Krye NL
    I see, haha, I thought you meant having a business trip in the same weekend..

13. PineTree

PineTree Well-Known Member

PSN:
    xPINETREEx
    XBL:
    PinesTree
    Nice,

I looked at flight prices just for fun, and round-trip tickets to Amsterdam are $830 ($US), actually not bad at all.

I'll have to seriously think about taking a trip like that though, since I don't know anyone there. I'll need somewhere to stay, and someone to show me around how to get everywhere.

That would be a cool trip though, haha

14. Krye

Krye French Star Player

PSN:
    KryeMeARiver
    XBL:
    Krye NL
    If you're seriously considering this (which would be awesome), don't worry about needing someone to show you around, we'll take care of that, no problem.

And if you don't want to stay at a hotel/hostel/whatever, but rather at someone's place, I think we'll be able to take care of that, as well.

Just send me a PM if you have any questions [​IMG] .

15. ShinobiFist

ShinobiFist Well-Known Member

PineTree, GO!GO!GO! And what's up with the UK cats, none of you guys confirmed yet. BTW, is anyone going to stream this?

16. Rayne

Rayne Well-Known Member

This sounds so cool, I MIGHT be able to make it. Would be good to see all the WCGers again. Will let you know.

17. MP

MP Well-Known Member

PSN:
    MonkeypunchVF
    Re: Euro VF Gathering in Amsterdam, 29-30 August,

im nearly confirmed [​IMG]

18. Krye

Krye French Star Player

PSN:
    KryeMeARiver
    XBL:
    Krye NL
    Shinobifist: I have no idea how to stream video, so I don't think we will do that. However, I'm planning to record lots of footage and put it up asap after the gathering is over!

Rayne: Nice! I hope you'll be able to make it! Gotta take revenge for the beatings I took online!

EDIT: MP_Lupin: Nice! UK represent!

19. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Monkey Madness in Amsterdam.

Me and MP_Lupin have booked our Flights!!

We'll definately be in Amsterdam. Just don't know when we'll be staying yet. should be able to let you know soon.

20. Krye

Krye French Star Player

PSN:
    KryeMeARiver
    XBL:
    Krye NL
    Awesome!

Now all we need is some French and German players and we're all set! [​IMG]