1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Evading Okizeme?

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Ellinas, Nov 13, 2001.

1. Ellinas

Ellinas Well-Known Member

Hi, I'm a relatively new virtua fighter player. I got started with VF3tb, but I never played much human competition. I play only Akira (love his style). I was pretty excited when my arcade got VF4 (I was there when they installed it, I played the 4th game on that machine ever :D)
    Now, after playing some human competition and knocking some heads, winning 4-0, and at other times losing 0-4... I can't get enough of it

Anyway.. getting to my point.

I'm always confused as to what I should do when I get knocked down. I think I'm aware of all my options, but I never know when to do what, I always feel like I'm taking more ground damage than I should. Can anybody help me out?

Oh, and one more thing. I got wasted by a Pai player today, lost 4 in a row, I didnt really do that bad, sometimes went to 2-2 (5 round machine), but i feel that I could have done better. What I want to know is this: The Pai was heavily using PPP, can I block the first 2 hits and use Akira's counter on the third? is it possible? excuse my newbieness.
    and excuse me if this has been addressed before, but I searched and didnt find anything.

Thx

2. Robyrt

Robyrt Well-Known Member

Well, you can definitely reverse the third P in VF3... haven't tried it in VF4, but you can always attempt it. If you know Pai's going for the sweep (or other PPP followup), you can definitely reverse THAT.

3. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

If u're fast enuff...u can reverse the second p

WHAT U CANNOT DO WITH AKIRA...is reverse sweep.
    Only Aoi can reverse sweeps, be it high or low

the only sweep Akira can reverse is Sarah's low sweep. again, that was in 3tb (DC). I have not tested it yet in VF4
    BlaME it on a severe lack of Sarah users---> 0

4. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Crouch under his Ps and shoulder ram...should work like a charm against a blitzing Pai.

5. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

I think he's saying if he blocked the first two, can he reverse (or do anything else about) the third. The reversal is possible but needs good timing. I think crouching under the third after blocking the first two is difficult or impossible, unless things have changed (because you're in blockstun and are not allowed to crouch until the blockstun is over).

Anyone have a sense of Pai's PPP recovery? It's always been pretty good but I notice Sega raped Lau's PPP in VF3 TB and was wondering if the same could have happened to pai.

6. Tot

Tot Active Member

Press p+k+g at the same time when you hit the ground so you will get up quick and have no damage. When you do this, input the lever to down and do double palm. It will hit the opponet well since the opponent is not pressing the guard button when you are down.
    It works quit well!

----------------
    I'm always confused as to what I should do when I get knocked down. I think I'm aware of all my options, but I never know when to do what, I always feel like I'm taking more ground damage than I should. Can anybody help me out?

7. Tot

Tot Active Member

To be more exact, when you do p+k+g at the right timing when you hit the ground, it will do head spring. If you do p+k+g AND input the lever to down, you will side roll. This motion is very quick and right after the side roll, you are able to execute moves or attacks.
    I am not Akira player but I believe because you are already inputting the lever to low, all you do is b,f+p+k(?) to execute the double palm. Double palms come out right after the side roll motion is finished!

8. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

I am not Akira player but I believe because you are already inputting the lever to low, all you do is b,f+p+k(?) to execute the double palm.

If I'm not mistaken, when the player does a tech roll, he(she) is considered a crouching non-defender. So when the player does b, f+P, the double palm would come out. Sorta like m-Dbpm=crouch dash(df, df)-> b, f+P.

It can be seen in some of the tbzone movies, Moonsuk (Akira) gets knocked down. He does a tech roll, and the double palm will come out. Nasty little tactic, no?

9. Tot

Tot Active Member

Ok, I didnt know this about the crouching position.

The double palm after the tech roll is widely used in Japan even the begginers use it. However, I still get hit sometimes... why? :)

10. Ellinas

Ellinas Well-Known Member

Wow, thanks a lot for the excellent responses. I'm especially interested in trying out that rising double palm trick. Double palm is definately one of my favourite Akira moves, I often jab once or twice and throw out double palm, hits the people I play against quite often, and man.. when it hits as MC, that thing -hurts-. I think i put the fear of Akira in to them, everybody plays lei fei or lau/pai around here, with the exception of a few.

Well, I did a lot better today, I used an up or down tech roll almost every time (not every single time to make sure I don't get too predictable) It worked very well against those I played against, but i question the safety of it. The people I played didnt have any counter for it, and one guy got really frustrated by his constant missing of ground attacks, but I can see it possibly becoming dangerous to overuse. How safe is it?

11. ShinJin

ShinJin Well-Known Member

heh, A. because double palm is not invinceble, and, B. cos you prolly not timing it right, anyway, attacking after you tech roll is not a very good idea, most of the time ppl will do attacks that are uninterruptable, you see, there not point making someone guess between a throw and a hit if the hit can be stoped by pressing buttons,
    also, if you make it a habit of atacking after you get up you'll eat alot ss attacks ( keep tapping f till they get up then hit, u+p+k+g, nasty :p ) and MC attacks, they only time you should techroll and press buttons is if you know your gonna be thrown or the move that your opp is trying to do is lame and your attack will beat it,
    that is all,

12. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

The roll isn't too safe: You're considered crouching and low throws will always get you.

Mid attacks also might hit you, but it's iffy. You're moving sideways at a fast rate so they might wiff. The trick for your opponent is to know you're going to techroll after a knockdown and then stick out an attack just as it's starting, that's probably more likely to connect. Also, low attacks work fine, and sweeps should consistently hit tech rollers since they move in a circular arc. Tech roll from certain positions will (when interrupted) leave you backturned.

13. gribbly

gribbly Well-Known Member

>Anyone have a sense of Pai's PPP recovery?

Hmmm it still feels quick to me. No data, this is just a feeling. I use a lot of PP (as opposed to PPP), and the recovery on that is nice and fast.

grib.

14. gribbly

gribbly Well-Known Member

that's true you can't reverse the sweep, but you can block and shoulder ram... ow...

15. Nutlog

Nutlog Well-Known Member

better yet, SPoD em.

Out here, Troy has become something of a nasty Pai player (he still plays Lion every now and then, when he get's spanked really bad :p). Pai's PPP is definitely not throw counterable, and if I remember correctly, it's not even punch counterable, though you do lose the initiative if it's blocked.

16. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

That's because Troy is evil:)