1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

EVO2003 VFDC Roll Call

Discussion in 'Tournaments and Events' started by Myke, Jul 2, 2003.

1. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Re: chibita!

do no
    tEMPT
    me~

U know I am crazy enuff to bust out n run away from jail~

2. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC

Ben,

I was just curious who confirmed that ChIbita is coming to Evo?

Spotlite

3. PhoenixDth

PhoenixDth Well-Known Member

tragic posted in the evo2k3 thread
    [ QUOTE ]
    Mr Yamagishi's (editor in chief of Arcadia) company, Aquarogue (which owns and runs Beat Tribe), will be paying Chibita's travel expenses for EVO 2003. I'll post more as I know... but the good news is... incoming chibita!

ben

[/ QUOTE ]

more questions, where did you get that info from ?
    even more questions, will chibita be available at pre and post evo2k3 VF meets?

4. tragic

tragic Well-Known Member

The info comes from Kuni Funada, our #1 liason between USA / Japan. He is a friend of Matsuda, Wakamatsu, and he's in contact with Yamagishi as well I believe. It's not heresay if that's what people are wondering. It was presented in a very matter-of-fact way. Also, I'm pretty sure he will come with everyone else (a few days before, leave a few days after)... and I don't see why he wouldn't be available for casual (especially on thursday night).

ben

5. PhoenixDth

heres an idea
    Since VF tournament will run a lot short than other tournaments. Why dont we run a kumite of registered VF participants through chibita. That way everyone will get to play chibita atleast once and arcadia magazine will have some extra media to document. Make everyone happy ^^

6. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

I just want to say that this is very exciting news and that everyone should make the very best effort to attend this event. ( and yes because chibita is gonna be there...when are you ever going to get the chance again?)

If I'm able to go I will have a greater time meeting all the west coast vfers more than anything so take heed to these words regarding my statement above: "don't get it twisted"

Thank you. /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. tzgorr1

tzgorr1 Well-Known Member

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but does it cost any money to go watch the tournament, but not actually enter it?

Because I plan to only go watch and take serious notes since I know I won't stand a snowball's chance in hell in Evo...

8. PhoenixDth

$20 just to enter +
    $10 per tournament

$20 enterance kind of rape if you ask me, especially to people just entering one tournament. I wonder who gets all the proceedings, 20 x 1000+/- players. Im sure that money covers waaaay more than setup fee.

well anyhow if your paying $20, might as well pay $10 more and play. Playing real people is the fastest way to learn in my opinion.

9. hikarutilmitt

hikarutilmitt Well-Known Member

Dammit I wanna go >_<

I don't care if I'd lose quickly, I'd just like to go to a tournament other than SF, for once. Hell, I haven't even been to one of THOSE in a few years, and even IT was only local.

10. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623

[ QUOTE ]
    PhoenixDth said:

$20 just to enter +
    $10 per tournament

$20 enterance kind of rape if you ask me, especially to people just entering one tournament. I wonder who gets all the proceedings, 20 x 1000+/- players. Im sure that money covers waaaay more than setup fee.

well anyhow if your paying $20, might as well pay $10 more and play. Playing real people is the fastest way to learn in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that's the way it works. From the Registration section it states:

- The entry fee for each tournament is $10 per tournament.
    - There is an addtional $20 cover charge for entering your first tournament

So this additional cover charge only applies for the first tournment you enter. Any other tournaments you want to enter, you only pay another $10. And if you just want to spectate you pay nothing.

11. stompoutloud

stompoutloud Well-Known Member

the proceeds go towards the two main guys that run Evolution every year. They also make a dvd and sell it after it's all said and done.

12. thebradSHow

thebradSHow Well-Known Member

If I can still go to Evo (some things that are just not goin down right), I'd have to be doing the proverbial road trip I'm pretty sure and I live in Ohio (2 days in car). So Zero-Chan you may be able to get the hook up though I'm still not sure. I'm trying to mold my schedule around schooling but it's getting harder and harder to do with some other things that are going down. Plus the always fun decision between FSB and Evo. Someone switch lives with me PLEEEEEAAAZZZZEEE!!! /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    [ QUOTE ]
    Brisal73 said:

looks like the schedule is set up on Shoryuken.com. Plague you are screwed. Finals are on Saturday from 8pm to Midnight. VF and SSFT share the same Saturday date.

[/ QUOTE ]

Crap.

I'm going to miss everything. Now I find that I'll miss Chibita, too.

Crap.

Catherine plans to video the finals (hand held DV cam). I've heard of an official DVD as well. Would be nice if they had a VF4 DVD. Hopefully I'll get an idea of what it was like.

I can drive 21 hours to compete in Texas but I'll miss an event that's 25 minutes from my house. Nice.

Hopefully someone can put something together for Sunday afternoon, evening.

14. stompoutloud

stompoutloud Well-Known Member

They always make an official dvd. It's usually 2 sided. Depending on what is good footage, they will put it in there. Usually every game gets the semi finals and finals at least. I don't think they will split it up into people only wanting to buy vf4, tekken 4, ect. I think it's all bunched together with interviews, and other stuff.

15. tragic

tragic Well-Known Member

money

First of all, not everyone signed up will go. Just like last year... we had close to 1000 signups and we ended up with about 500.

Second of all, renting a huge place out like UCLA or CalPoly costs a ridiculous amount of money. That alone is over 5000$. Then there is cabinet rental, transportation, and fees to cover what each cabinent "might" have made while they are not in their respective arcades. That is around another 6500$ (one machine alone is approximately 500$ for the whole event... 13 reserved so far).

Then there's the whole audio/video situation. Recording equipment, tapes, passthroughs, switchboards, projector. Projector alone is anywhere from 3-4K... Last year we were lucky enough that UCLA had a suitable projector... CalPoly doesn't.

Don't forget broken/stolen stuff on the event premises... such as the projector from last year.

Then factor in the cost of lanyards/cards, security (UCLA wouldn't let us use ballroom without paying for full-time security), printing up shirts etc.

Remember, we have to hire and armed guard... there will be in excess of 15,000$ there that needs to go to the bank.

Hrm, even more costs. If we want to bring in a friends JPN cabinents (for some finals), we have to pay for the U-Haul... there and back.

Unless people want to sit on the floor for the arcade games, we have to provide stools. More money.

So, if 500 people show up this year (note, the signups indicate less people will show up if we assume the same percentage of signups come), then that $20x500 doesn't cover everything... and tom/tony go in the hole... like they do every tournament. The ONLY saving grace is the DVD... which usually makes up for the cost and lets SRK.com run for another year.

There are a TON of little costs that no one takes into consideration.

Trust me, with two guys that graduated from Stanford University, you'd think they could come up with a better scam to make crazy money than throwing a tournament once a year.

ben

16. Brisal73

Brisal73 Well-Known Member

Re: money

YEAH ALEX (Phoenix)!!!!

Shut the hell up.... I would like to state for the record that Phoenix does not talk for everyone on the Socal Group. Thank you very much for listening and have a good night.

p.s. take a joke...LOL gotcha

17. MADrox

MADrox Well-Known Member

Damn,
    very tempting,..
    I'm planning on going now..
    have you heard of any other chi-crew people going??
    I'll ask ..
    But definately a must for me, i comes at a great time too.

later

knut-stino

18. Junosynth

Junosynth Well-Known Member

I was wondering if anyone was going to have a get together Thursday for all of us VF players before the tourney? If so can someone give out details?

19. Brisal73

Brisal73 Well-Known Member

Seems like there will be a meet at Cal Poly on Thursday. They said sign ups will be happening as well as free play. This might be a good time to meet up with some people. I also suggest we meet up on Sunday since are Tourney ends Saturday we can have a BIG meet at someones house on Sunday. I just threw that out ...lets see what people say.

20. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

Hey there, just wondering when you'd be leaving if you're going to EVO2K3? Also, how long would the trip take and how long would you be there?