1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Fans of the Hori Real Arcade Pro, REJOICE

Discussion in 'Console' started by thebradSHow, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

Well, here's the thing. RAP was originally advertised on Hori's website as using sanwa parts. It wasn't clear if it's only the stick or also the buttons initially. There was also reports saying that Hori was going to use OEM parts for the original RAP. After the stick shipped, people figured out that the buttons were not Sanwa parts.

Now, due to the success of the RAP, Hori is doing the Special Addition. The reason it's called special "Addition" is because this is a limited production run. You had to preorder by a certain date, and they will only make enough sticks to fill that preorder number, plus a little extra stock. This is why as of this post, the Special Addition is presold out. The website this time is still vague as to how much parts will be actual Sanwa parts. They only say that the Special Addition will be using Sanwa parts, and the Special Edition (blue butons) will be using Semitsu parts. How much parts will be actual Sanwa/Semitsu parts is not clearly stated. I wouldn't be surprised if the Special Addition/Edition ends up being the same as the original RAP, only with different colors and button layout. From the pictures, it looks like they are using the same turbo controls as the original RAP, same green color even though the button colors are changed. This makes me believe that the new RAP will just be the same as the old ones except with different colors and different button layout.

One other thing, the Special Addition/Edition cost a bit more than the original RAP. This is pretty typical of gaming hardware that gets a limited production due to popular demand. Of course, it could also mean they are using all genuine parts, but this is suspect. The special Addition/Edition cost about $20 more than the original RAP. My advice is that if you can find the original RAP for cheap, ($70 or less), you can buy more than enough Sanwa buttons for $20 and replace it yourself. I would only advice getting the new ones if you like the color.

2. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    [ QUOTE ]
    The website this time is still vague as to how much parts will be actual Sanwa parts. They only say that the Special Addition will be using Sanwa parts, and the Special Edition (blue butons) will be using Semitsu parts. How much parts will be actual Sanwa/Semitsu parts is not clearly stated.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I mentioned in my post, the site clearly states the part numbers that are being used for the stick and buttons for the special addition / edition. I made reference to that in my post quoting the part numbers for the sanwa and seimitsu stick:

[ QUOTE ]
    The Real Arcade Pro Special Edition, linked in the first post, however comes in two varieties: sanwa stick JLF-TP-8Y-SK (Vermilion) or seimitsu stick LS-32-01 (Blue).

[/ QUOTE ]

The site also quotes the part numbers for the buttons, large and small, being used.

3. tuelpo

tuelpo New Member

I'll post pics of the mod If my camera ever appears again.
    No dremel needed, all I used was a drill.

The key comes in that the TRAP doesn't use the same mounting positions as the HRAP.

The only thing I had to do was disassemble the JLF stick and counter-sink holes in the topmost plastic base so It can screw into the Pre-existing holes in the metal plate.

If anyone is using a different method, please describe.

-tuelpo

4. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    magical camera

[ QUOTE ]
    ...If my camera ever appears again

[/ QUOTE ]

I know I'm making light of this, and I hope you find your camera - but this sounds like some Zelda-RPG type scenario - "upon the third moonset over Hyrule, the camera will appear briefly by the welllspring."

5. Darrius_Cole

Darrius_Cole Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Darrius-Cole
    XBL:
    Darrius Cole HD
    Just got the Tekken 5 RAP

I just got the Tekken RAP. It is my first stick and I am not sure how I should set the buttons up.

How are the buttons set up on VF arcade machines? I figure that I should set my stick up that way so that I don't handicap myself on that day when I actually play in a real arcade against real players.

6. coNsPirAcy

coNsPirAcy Well-Known Member

7. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
    Re: Just got the Tekken 5 RAP

I like the white border on your T5 stick. My stick's border is black. Did yours come like that or did you mod that too?

8. Aoimaster

Aoimaster Well-Known Member

Mine also came in black too

9. DeathCom

DeathCom Well-Known Member

I picked up the T5 stick with the game and just ran across this post. I knew something was a miss. Overall, I think the SCII stick feels tighter and more responsive than the T5 stick.

Im not sorry I went for the collectors bundle, even if my T5 ends up being a spare stick.

However, I have noticed something troubling. My decal on the T5 stick is wearing off! Previous sticks Ive used seem to have a plastic cover on the decal, but its not found here. Its fading to white near the edges under the buttons and where my fingertips lie above the stick. Another corner that was cut perhaps to bring us a stick for $50?

-DeathCom

10. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent

That's awful. You must be using the stick often, my stick still looks brand new but I've hardly been using it. I'd say I've used it less than 8 hours fully.

11. thebradSHow

thebradSHow Well-Known Member

The decal on that and the CFE RAP (once you take the plastic off) do wear down over time, I prefer the original HRAP do to the shiny surface that while it gets scratched, tarnished, etc. it DOESN'T wear off IME. Now as far as the HRAP special addition / edition, they were going by preorder only and while certain importers jumped on the boat, not all did, so you may have a slightly hard time finding it.
    One other side note before I get off, I have a friend who is also into stick modding and he was very impressed by the Tekken cabinet buttons (they were not stock sanwa buttons, custom made for the cabinet) and he went through Namco to try and get them, now here's the funny part. IF YOU BUY THOSE BUTTONS, THEY ARE $11 PER BUTTON /versus/images/graemlins/confused.gif /versus/images/graemlins/confused.gif /versus/images/graemlins/confused.gif. I loled heartily at that.

12. thebradSHow

thebradSHow Well-Known Member

MY GOD

HORI is out they damn minds.
    That is the "finished product" on the Special Addition / Editions. My GOD that's sexy, I will be happy soon but for those who aren't in the loop, it will not be easy to find a place that is selling these.

13. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

Re: MY GOD

I don't know why they didn't keep the old shiny cover, the new one makes it look kind of cheap. Nice of them to make the turbo controls the same color, and good decision to change the layout of the button so the X, [], O, /\ buttons are on the very left. I don't see what difference that makes though cause it's still requires a button reconfiguration for VF. It's not something that can't be changed by a simple rewiring or button configurations in game. Another thing that I don't understand is why didn't they make the stick and buttons further apart if they changed the button layout. This was something that many people talked about when the RAP first came out, but I guess they decided to keep it. This makes the new button layout meaning less since it's more comfortable to play with the middle 4 buttons then the left most 4. But I guess you get sanwa parts for less money compared to buying the parts and put it in the RAP......