1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite Books

Discussion in 'General' started by Hayai_JiJi, Jul 11, 2001.

1. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

I have noticed the majoritry of VFers seem pretty bright so I was wondering what everybody here likes to read.My top five are
    1. You Cant Go Home Again by Thomas Wolfe
    2. Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
    3. Slaughter House Five by Kurt Vonnegutt
    4. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
    5. Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac
    I am currently reading On The Road by Jack Kerouac and will have to start on Musashi sooner or later.

Under the surface of the most jaded cynic lies a dissappointed idealist- George Carlin

2. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

I'm gonna have to go with an old favorite and say Catcher in the Rye is my favorite book.

Currently I'm reading Fellowship of the Rings (no, I've never read it till now) and this book about Hayao Miyazaki.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

If you enjoy biographies, an excellent book to read is Simon Louvish's "Monkey Business: The Lives and Legends of the Marx Brothers." If you're a fan of the Marxes, this is arguably the best book on the subject.

I also suggest anything by Harold Kushner, the late great rabbi with a heart of gold, Elizabeth Wurtzel's "Prozac Nation," which is being made into a movie, I understand; and, well, whatever's in the copy of the Norton Anthologies that your college teachers make you buy.

You could tell I went to college for English Literature, right?

4. Hayai_JiJi

There is a book on Miyazaki. Whats it called? Do major retailers sell it or do I have to go to a anime website?

Under the surface of the most jaded cynic lies a dissappointed idealist- George Carlin

5. Guest

Guest Guest

i think you may also enjoy: Moonchild-Crowley, ADA-Nabokov, .gg

6. Hayai_JiJi

Thanks for the suggestions. I am always looking for stuff to read. What are they about?

7. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

It's called Hayao Miyazaki: Master of Japanese Animation by Helen McCarthy. I don't know if regular retailers would have it since I got it off Amazon. Basically has a chapter as a bio/timeline/overview kinda thing, another on mechandising/conclusion, and one on each of his major films. I would've liked more detail on the bio as well as Ghibli films that weren't actually directed by him (they are given a mention though), but not a bad read at all if you're fan of his.